Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22051 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1433 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
Re: STUDY PLAN. [#permalink]
Hi,

You are going through all the great materials. Consider seeing all the video lessons of gmatninja: https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-gmat-nin ... l#p2396353

Good luck!
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16597 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Anushka1197,

Welcome to the GMAT club.

It is one of the great platforms to get information about the GMAT official test, Study plan, Section wise instructions, and many more. You are recommended to visit various posts and utilize this forum in the best efficient way.

Your current mock score is shaky but you can surely do better.

You can schedule a Comprehensive counseling(https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session) session for 30 mins with one of our experts to have detailed advice on your current study plans.

A score of 490 in the mock test is far indeed from the target score of 700+. It is all about raising 200+ pointers. We would like to recommend specific vital points which will be helpful. The score tells that neither the Math nor the Verbal is above average. Hence, both sections have to be taken care of simultaneously. To improve, you will require consistent learning and practice. Also, keep your motivation high to learn.

Since we are a math expert, we will recommend you go through our post on the GMAT club, which gives a complete Breakdown of GMAT math questions and types: https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of-gmat-math-question-types-and-patterns-on-the-gmat-211809.html#p1641411

Also, make a note of various possible combinations to achieve a score of 700+. The possible scores will help you track your performance after taking the mock or practice test. It will also help you maintain balance in both the sections, and you will always be in a great position to allot the study hours to a specific area accordingly.

Possible score combinations: Q45/V41, Q46/V40, Q48/V38, Q50/V36

After visiting the post, now is the time to start with the basics. To strengthen the basic concept on various topics like arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and word problems, you may refer to many free materials available in GMAT Club. Our website also helps strengthen the necessary "skills of math”.

Solve as many questions as you can relate to different topics, and it is recommended that you try to connect with many proven experts. You can visit Math Revolution and get access to our 7-day full on-demand course (27 topics, 490 subtopics, and 1,500 questions) for free trial lessons.

While concept learning, try solving 600 level questions by topic and be habitual of creating the error log. Prepare the list of all the doubts you face during solving and practicing questions. This practice will help you assess the topics in which you need more time to prepare. After solving as many questions as possible, take the 1st mock test and assess your performance. You may try our free diagnostic test once. Let some experts evaluate it to make you understand it better.

Continue the process with 650+ level by topic and then 700+ level questions by topic. The entire mock test should be completed in a disciplinary manner. Since this is a bit long journey, 1-on -1 tutoring can also be helpful to shorten the study period if your study budget is affordable.

Regular tests will reflect the positive change in the score, and hence, your confidence will boost up. Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and hence will be able to learn time management.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.
If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com.

Success is within your reach.

Good luck!
Math Revolution Team
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anushka1197 wrote:
Hi,

I think in my previous post I missed a couple of points. I took two free mocks that are offered on the official website. I scored 530 in the first practice test in April, 2020. Though I did not focus on studying for the GMAT throughout 2020, I decided to start preparing for the exam seriously and so, I gave a second mock in April, 2021 just to evaluate my performance. I ended up scoring 490. My goal is to get a 700+ when I sit for the official exam in September, 2021. Below are the resources that I have been currently studying from:

1) GMAT Official Guide 2020.
2) GMAT Official Guide Quantitative Review 2020.
3) GMAT Official Guide Verbal Review 2020.

I study for 4 hours everyday wherein I practice 20-30 quant questions and 30 verbal questions that encompass critical reasoning and sentence correction, 15 each. I also do 2 RCs. My goal is to complete the official guides first and I should tentatively be able to finish them in 40 days. After this, I plan to study from :

1) GMAT Advanced Questions
2) Manhattan GMAT Advanced Quant.
3) Manhattan Sentence Correction

I would like to know how I can better my study plan and what other resources I should look into. Also, I plan to give the practice mocks again by the end of May.

Hi Anushka1197,

I see that you are spending most of your time on practicing questions, which is not the right way to prepare for GMAT. Without learning the right methods to solve questions, there is no point practicing questions. You need to first focus on learning the right approach. Once you are perfect with the concepts and the methodology, you can start practicing questions. Let me help you here.

How to prepare for GMAT in the right way?

Before you start preparing for any test, it's important to understand the structure of the test, what is tested on it and then prepare accordingly. In this case, GMAT is a test which focuses on your application skills along with the conceptual knowledge. So, just learning the concepts and practicing questions without focusing on the right methodology will not do any good. So, I suggest you to first focus on the methodology to solve questions of a particular topic and only then move to practicing questions of that topic.

So, the right way to prepare would be to first

• learn the concepts of a topic,
  • learn the right methodology to solve questions of that topic
  • practice a few questions of that topic to solidify your learning and then move to the nest topic
  • Repeat the process for all the topics

And working on weak areas is equally important. You move to the next topic only if you get a decent accuracy in the previous topic. If not, you revisit the concepts, nullify the conceptual gaps and then move to the next topic only when you are 100% confident. Please go through the articles below to understand the right way to prepare for GMAT.

How to effectively plan your studies for GMAT

How to score 700+ on GMAT

How to start preparing for GMAT

And you can go through the recording below to understand how to strategize your GMAT prep in an effective way.

What might have gone wrong?

As we have understood the right way to prepare, now let's analyze what could have gone wrong with your mock tests. You must have learnt the concepts of the topics and you must have practiced questions as well. But did you focus on the methodology part? Did you focus on working your weak areas?

These two could be the major reasons for you not scoring well on your mocks. So, this time make sure to do your prep in the right way by focusing on all the above parameters. And regarding the resource, choose a resource which can help you with not only the concepts, but the methodology as well. And the questions to practice and their detailed solutions are equally important as the solutions help you understand where exactly you are making the mistake. And a study plan would be an added advantage as it will help you have a clear idea of what to study on any given day.

You can check out the free trial of GMATWhiz online course if you are looking for one. And honestly, I don't think taking the test by end of May is a good idea as there are a lot of things to work on. Try to do your prep right and book your slot only when you consistently get your desired score in the mocks.

Click here to sign up for the free trial of GMATWhiz.

And regarding how to proceed further and the study strategy, I think it will be better if we can get in touch over a call and discuss the same as I would like to ask a few questions about your current preparation strategy and your weak areas. You can use the below link to get in touch with me.

Click here to schedule a call
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Sample Templates – GMAT Study Plan for 3 Months
Given below are templates for study plans for 150+ improvement using e-GMAT’s methodology. These plans are made keeping the following assumptions in mind:

Verbal Driven 3 Months GMAT Study Plan
Plan 1 – Leveraging Verbal as Strength Plan 2 – Leveraging Quant as Strength
Starting scores:
Total – 600 (56 percentile)

Verbal – V34 (71 percentile)

Quant – Q38 (33 percentile)

Starting scores:
Total – 600 (56 percentile)

Verbal – V28 (51 percentile)

Quant – Q46 (58 percentile)

Target scores:
Total – 760

Verbal – V46 (99 percentile)

Quant – Q48 (67 percentile)

Target scores:
Total – 760

Verbal – V41 (93 percentile)

Quant – Q51 (96 percentile)

Working Professional with 2 hours on weekdays and 4 hours dedicated time to study over the weekends
Working Professional with 2 hours on weekdays and 4 hours dedicated time to study over the weekends
GMAT Club Bot