Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72880 [0]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Study Plan Question - is 700 realistic? [#permalink]
bb wrote:
Hi - i split your post into a separate topic as it probably deserves a discussion of its own.

Did I understand you correctly that you took a veritas class and spent 3.5 months studying, but only yesterday took your first GMAT Prep?
What Tests were you using to practice?
-

Hi BB, Thank you for your reply.

You're right. Having taken the Veritas course, I have laboriously gone through all the questions on the course material ensuring tat i know how to do nearly every single one of them (i say about 97%) which took about 3.5mths. I have not practice using any other material except the occasional referencing on the 12 ed. OG

A few days ago i took my first ever CAT (Gmat Prep1) and got only got 500 (Quans 34; Verbal 25) :shock: I have to say that my Quans and Grammar knowlege are not very strong to start with though.

I am now bracing myself up for another stab at it and hopefully if i went through the materials again, I will remember better the stuff i have learned. I have not started with a proper appreciation of how important speed and time mgmt is and whilst i have kept a list of the questions i have done wrong, i didn't make notes on how long i took doing each questions.

I am sorry to ask so many questions in my first post but i am still shock at my practice test result and very much at a loss now.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72880 [0]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
No problem. Just very surprising Veritas would not provide tests or check points for you to understand where you stand.

There is quite a bit of difference between doing questions in books and taking full length tests. Very different to solve questions under timed conditions.
I would suggest you get some Kaplan, PR, or MGMAT tests and try another one to get a grip on timing.

I am not familiar with Veritas materials, but you should be able to use them to get to a good point. Do you know what score you had when you started?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Phew!!all over the place eh?I was wondering here you disappeared!
Lemme copy the text from our other discussion before we move ahead!

Quote:
tejal777 wrote:
Aquila:
Let me personally welcome you to GMATCLUB!It's great to have you here!If you read few posts in the forum you'll realise how much this site has helped people..stick with us and we'll try to help you in whichever way we can!

First off,do not feel disheartened..EVERYBODY gets low scores..you need to learn how to handle it properly..Analyze,Analyze,Analyze..WHERE and WHY you are going wrong,your strengths and weaknesses,the problems you got right BUT exceeded the time,the questions you got wrong(WHY?Are you familiar with the topic or do you need to work on it).

Secondly,we aim for a target of 700 because it is a nice,round figure.Which schools are you planning to apply to?Will a 680/690 help?This way you are not setting yourself up for disappointment.

Thirdly,do not loose heart.Remember it is quality over quantity..you do not need to just blindly study..you need to study the RIGHT way.

As for the veritasprep..I am not familiar with it..somebody who knows more about it will be able to guide you better..but my suggestion would be instead of doing new stuff go over what you have learnt..since the math is relatively new to you,it will take time to sink in..

Hang on buddy!Just forge ahead!

Quote:
Thank you very much for your kind words of welcome and encouragment. It was really nice to a get reply :>

I am still a little disorientated on this site. After i posted this mail, i couldn't find where it was and tho i had not posted it properly!! I then posted it again elsewhere.... ah well, never mind i since realise i get an email and also on the top right hand i cud view my post!!! I ought to get a new pair of glasses!

Anyway my post has been moved onto a new discussion topic (i haven't figured out how to attached a link here but the topic is "study plan question - Is 700 realistic"); can you visit it, i have got me new plan there. It willl be nice to see wat u think.

In answer to your questions, my quans weakness is that bcos a lot of stuff are new to me, it takes time for me to recall the rules when i see the questions. A lot of the question i know i can solve but i can't solve in 2 mins.

As for verbal, it is the same, since i am not a native speaker, i need to think about where are the verbs and adjectives and etc are on the sentences before i am able to idnetify the SC errors. By the time i had done it, i t could take me as long as 5mins!!

As for the schools, it is mainly Insead or LBS. Although they do take in 680, but i have got a pretty low GPA so having spoken to the schools at open day, they suggest that if i want to ensure i get an interview upon application , my gmat has got to be strong. I assume that means 700 region

Allright..Now we are all on the same page.
.have requested the of the other topic to lock that thread :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
No problem. Just very surprising Veritas would not provide tests or check points for you to understand where you stand.

There is quite a bit of difference between doing questions in books and taking full length tests. Very different to solve questions under timed conditions.
I would suggest you get some Kaplan, PR, or MGMAT tests and try another one to get a grip on timing.

I am not familiar with Veritas materials, but you should be able to use them to get to a good point. Do you know what score you had when you started?

In the Veritas basic math book there is a pre-test of 48Qs to do so that we can identify our own weak areas for Quans only (no verbal pre-test). No further info on how to use this as a diagnostic; I did the test and found I have lots i didn't know. I didn't know what quadratic equations, absolute values and functions are, neither did i know the math definition of Std Dev, or what is combonetorics and probability, etc. I have now learn all these (thru Veritas book and other random maths books i borrowed from the library plus using internet resources) in the last 3.5mths.

I did do a Kaplan centre test when i was comparing the 2 providers in London. But it was a little strange what happened. The instructor told us to do a test and left the room, we didn't know when to start, or can we refer to the book freely available around us, or do we need to finish all the question, etc.. It was in the evening after work so there weren't many staff around except the receptionist; we only know someone will come back and tell us to stop the test when the time is up!!! So u can see i wasn't impressed with Kaplan!! (the instructor had disappear to dunno where!) There, I only managed to finish around 3/4 of the Quans and Verbal questtions (as with most pple who sat in the test) and got only 410 (Q23 V28)

I haven't done any other tests prior to that and was kinda being rushed into starting the Veritas course as i was told no preparation needed for starting the course and there was one starting in a few days time.

Should I will register on the MGMAT website for a free test or should I do one of the CAT I got on Veritas’s online resource. My package includes 17 CAT:- 2 GmatPrep (I know they r free anyway), 3 Acro, 5 Veritas, 5 800Score and 2 GMATLife bonus test (not sure what this is). I trust these tests are good enough for my practice?

Thanks for your time bb, I appreciate it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just done the MGMAT free test and fare just as bad.......

MGMAT (free) test score 480 (Q36 V21). Usual problem:

Quans Section: i had to rush thru the last 10 quans questions and a number of questions i felt i cud figure out the answer but not in 2mins time, so had to guess and move on. (In the last 10 mins i still had 10 questions to go)

Verbal section: I am reading too slowly as mentioned in my first post but if i increase my reading speed then i fail to understand the CR stimulus or the RC passage. As for SC, i dun have enough time to go thru each answer choice to start going thru my "mental checklist" to spot the errors in the answer choices. (In the last 14 mins i still had 14 questions to go and end up omitting 3 questions)

Summary of the tests i have taken:
Kaplan centre diagnostic test (taken in July) - test score 410 (Q23-12%ile; V28-51%ile).
GMAT Prep1 (taken Nov 14) ----------------- test score 500 (Q34-40%ile; V28-48%ile).
MGMAT (taken today) ----------------------- test score 480 (Q36-48%ile V21-25%ile).

:cry:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
aquila wrote:
Total revision time (full time on gmat revision): 4.5 weeks (3 stages; each stage take up 1.5 week)
Breakdown as follows:

Sun (Church 3 hrs) : Revision hrs 6
Mon (Running 2.5hrs): Revision hrs 8
Tue: Revision hrs 10.5
Wed : Revision hrs 10.5
Thu (Exercise 1.5hr) : Revision hrs 10.5
Fri : Revision hrs 10.5
Sat : Revision hrs 10.5
TOTAL 66.5 hrs per week

You won't believe - I prepared more than this per week (After 9 hrs of office 5 days a week!!!) - I was crazy!!!!!
I had sleeping deprevation (Insomnia), only because of GMAT preparation. I slept only 4 hrs per day for more than 3 months (If you don't believe me I can send you medical reports) .
Colclusion (I never crossed 740 in GMATprep and 620 Actual GMAT) - Mean to say preparing this many number of hrs doesn't help!!!!!

Please cut is down to half, 30 is good enough. It's improtant to read - but more improtant to digest.

Concentrate on your weaknees and go step by step.

Your plan looks good - but your brain might not support this much. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey spoilt

Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

I have been thinking about it quite a lot too and perhaps i should try to spread out my revision time over a longer period. The thing is i am not working at the moment so i can spend 10 hrs a day. I think you are a truly over doing it esp when u r working as well. I am still not sure how best to approach it but I will probably take your advice to cut down on the hours as i dun wish to waste unproductive hours. However, i will still try out my 10hrs per day schelude at least for a week or 2 to see how i feel.

On the other hand, i have now bought the Kaplan Maths & Verbal Foundation and will try to work on my basic again and then try the Veritas Prep material thereafter. I thought maybe I wasn't farmilar enough with basic knoweldge of the subjects that resulted in my horrific score.

I will plot on and try and pick up tips on this forum as i go along.

You take care and i hope you are a lot better now. Whilst MBA can be earned, good health can't, so take good care of urself.

cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Hey Aquila!Hows it going?
Even when I was preparing for my GMAT I had the entire day for it..I made it a plan to study 10 hrs a day..and you know what?Atmost I managed 7-8 hrs.. you should'nt focus on quantity but quality..do timed sessions and you'll see yourself getting wiped out..
Also,due to my weak physical health(I get tired easily) I avoided going out..but I would strongly advice people to go out and have a life!!Work out,meet up with friends and you'll still have enough time for quality studying!!

HTH
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GPA: 3.95
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
aquila,

My experience was not as good as that of tejal777 => I scored only 620 :)

But believe me, you can increase your score more by just taking time and concentrating on your weakness rather than studying more number on hours.

Take time, go out, relax as tejal777 said, it helps. If you get worried about wasting time while you are out, that's actually good because it's kind of motivation to sit as soon as you are home and prepare with full concentration.

I studied so much that I was not left with any material at the end to practice, I did almost everything (e.g. OG 11 and OG 12 atleast 3-4 times :). So don't repeat my stupid mistakes and just concentrate on weak areas.

It's more improtant to digest what you read. So go slowly.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Quote:
If you get worried about wasting time while you are out, that's actually good because it's kind of motivation to sit as soon as you are home and prepare with full concentration.

Well said!That actually worked for me too!

Oh and one more tip:
While doing the OG,though i had done the entire thing like 2-3 times..I had actually left the last 15-20 questions from each section..those were completly untouched and fresh study material..In the last week before the test you should stay as close to the official questions as possible..so we have tired out the OG's,done with Gprep multiple times(take it min. 4 times)..so where do we get fresh official questions??At a time like this you could take out those last 15-20 questions..and voila!You'll know where you stand!
GMAT Club Bot