GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 11:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Suggestion on how to improve on mock tests

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Suggestion on how to improve on mock tests  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2018, 06:40
Hi,
I will be taking GMAT exam in December and have started preparing in the month of August.
I am working really hard almost 10 hrs everyday but when I am appearing for mocks it’s not showing any improvement. I don’t have much experience in competitive exams. Every time I think I am confident and I give my mocks I am not getting desired marks as expected from my hard work. I am able to do difficult level sums while practicing , working a lot both in my speed and accuracy and always been strong in math and yet during mocks I fail to do well. My mock test marks are demotivating me a lot making me feel maybe I am not up for it and bringing thoughts like I shouldn’t have thought of giving GMAT at the first place. Till now I have given 2 in both I got just 320 & 328.
Kindly suggest me on how will I overcome my fear and stress and also improve in my study techniques so that I can give my exams confidently in December.
examPAL Representative
G
Re: Suggestion on how to improve on mock tests  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 02:05
An1005 wrote:
Hi,
I will be taking GMAT exam in December and have started preparing in the month of August.
I am working really hard almost 10 hrs everyday but when I am appearing for mocks it’s not showing any improvement. I don’t have much experience in competitive exams. Every time I think I am confident and I give my mocks I am not getting desired marks as expected from my hard work. I am able to do difficult level sums while practicing , working a lot both in my speed and accuracy and always been strong in math and yet during mocks I fail to do well. My mock test marks are demotivating me a lot making me feel maybe I am not up for it and bringing thoughts like I shouldn’t have thought of giving GMAT at the first place. Till now I have given 2 in both I got just 320 & 328.
Kindly suggest me on how will I overcome my fear and stress and also improve in my study techniques so that I can give my exams confidently in December.

Hey An1005
First, you should know you are not alone. Many, many people have a similar experience when moving from practice to mocks - doing an entire test is quite different, and a lot harder, than solving individual questions.
I think it's important to break it down and try and understand what it is that is making this switch hard for you:

- time management:
this is a major reason that taking tests is harder. Are you running out of time? If so, maybe you need to readjust your expectations - decide before your next mock test to skip a few of the hardest questions you identify, giving yourself more time to put into the rest of them.
- analyse your past mock test, and see if a faster solution is possible than what you chose (even if you got it right). Remember that besides solving questions the Precise, straightforward way, you can also go Alternative, meaning using some type of shortcut, or Logical, using the logic to cut through the question. For an explanation about these three solution types (PAL), take a look at our [url=exampal.com]front page,[/url] which has an explanation.

- stress:
you mention this is as a possible factor- and it's a big one.
I recommend reviewing this article we have written on the topic: [url=https://exampal.com/gmat/blog/overcome-gmat-anxiety/]How to overcome GMAT Anxiety
[/url]

Last thing, I'd like to point you in the direction of another articles we have which may be of assistance to you:
How to Make The Most Out of The GMAC Mock Tests

Hope some of this helps, tell me if you have any more questions!

I am a CR Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about CR
I am a DS Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about DS

Watch free GMAT tutorials in Math, Verbal, IR, and AWA.

GMAT test takers: Watch now the GMAC interview with the people who write the GMAT test!
We discussed the chances of improving a GMAT score; how important the first questions on the test are; what to do if you don’t have enough time to complete a whole section; and more.

You can watch all the action from the interview here.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Suggestion on how to improve on mock tests &nbs [#permalink] 25 Sep 2018, 02:05

Suggestion on how to improve on mock tests

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap