GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 17:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Susie can buy apples from two stores: a supermarket that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg
Susie can buy apples from two stores: a supermarket that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Apr 2012, 02:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (01:04) correct 42% (01:16) wrong based on 787 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Categorized by Manhattan GMAT as a 700-level question.

Susie can buy apples from two stores: a supermarket that sells apples only in bundles of 4, and a convenience store that sells single, unbundled apples. If Susie wants to ensure that the total number of apples she buys is a multiple of 5, what is the minimum number of apples she must buy from the convenience store?

A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 4

GMAT Strategies: http://gmatclub.com/forum/slingfox-s-gmat-strategies-condensed-96483.html

Originally posted by slingfox on 24 Oct 2009, 22:18.
Last edited by Bunuel on 17 Apr 2012, 02:33, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question and added the OA
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codese-GMAT Discount Codes
Math Expert
V
Susie can buy apples from two stores: a supermarket that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2009, 22:49
slingfox wrote:
Categorized by Manhattan GMAT as a 700-level question.

Susie can buy apples from two stores: a supermarket that sells apples only in bundles of 4, and a convenience store that sells single, unbundled apples. If Susie wants to ensure that the total number of apples she buys is a multiple of 5, what is the minimum number of apples she must buy from the convenience store?

A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 4

Strange question, cannot understand what is tested here. Wording is also confusing: "can buy from two stores"?

But in any case answer must be zero. If she buys apples ONLY in conv. store 0 is the multiple of 5.
If she'll buy also in supermarket well any number can be BUT minimum is 0, she can buy 5 bundles there.

Answer: A.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg
Re: Apples and Apples (Word Problem)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2009, 02:07
The official explanation is as follows (excepted):

"Since the supermarket sells apples in bundles of 4, we can represent the number of apples that Susie buys from the supermarket as 4x, where x can be any integer ≥ 0. If the number of apples that Susie buys from the convenience store is simply y, the total number of apples she buys is (4x + y). We are asked to find the smallest possible value of y such that (4x + y) can be a multiple of 5.

. . .

The correct answer is A."

My biggest problem is the wording of the question. The question asks for minimum number of applies she must buy to ENSURE that the total number at the end of the day is a multiple of 5. The explanation, however, speaks of the minimum number of applies that need to be bought at the convenience store so that she CAN end up with a multiple of five apples. CAN and ENSURE mean very different things, so I'm not sure why A is correct.

GMAT Strategies: http://gmatclub.com/forum/slingfox-s-gmat-strategies-condensed-96483.html

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2009, 07:07
I will go with option A.

The total no.of apples must be a multiple of 5.

supermarket stores sells apples in multiples of 4.If she buys 5 bundles this will in turn become a multiple of 5.

I will go with option A)0
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2010, 01:53
What a question. Is that a typical GMAT one?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2010, 04:34
slingfox wrote:

My biggest problem is the wording of the question. The question asks for minimum number of applies she must buy to ENSURE that the total number at the end of the day is a multiple of 5. The explanation, however, speaks of the minimum number of applies that need to be bought at the convenience store so that she CAN end up with a multiple of five apples. CAN and ENSURE mean very different things, so I'm not sure why A is correct.

Look at it this way: I want to ensure that I have 3 chocolate bars. store A only sells 2 at a time so I need to buy 1 from store B so that I can end up with 3 chocolate bars.
It just means that this is what I must do/need to do/must ensure so that I can make it a possibility. Don't worry too much about it.
And it seems the question is simply testing whether you understand that 0 is the smallest non negative multiple of 5. If you buy 0 apples, you buy none from anywhere! It would have been different if it was given that she must buy some apples.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2010, 05:51
answer is A since some of the numbers divisible by 4 will also be divisible by 5, for ex-20.

Hence at minimal, 0 apples need to be bought unbundled.
Manager
Manager
I completely do not agree with MGMAT for this qtn/ans  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2011, 05:17
There were lods of dicussions on this qtn. I, however, request the ppl to discuss again. Please...

A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 4

Forget abt the logic: mult of 5 and all that. Observe the word "must" in "what is the minimum number of apples she must buy from the convenience store". Doesn't it mean that she has to buy atleast 1 from the convenience store?
Retired Moderator
Re: I completely do not agree with MGMAT for this qtn/ans  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2011, 05:55
And so she did. She bought "0" apples from the convenience store. :lol:

Q: What's the minimum number must you add to "2" in order to get a prime number?

Few say the answer should be "1" to get 3(a prime). Must add something(> 0), right!!!
Others(I am one among them) may argue that adding "0" would suffice as 2 itself is a prime number.

This question should be posted in the verbal section to see how to exactly interpret this without ambiguity.

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2011, 04:39
I am reallly doubt that his is a 700 level question . although I believe MGMAT.

list all multiples of 5
5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 ....
list all possible acquisitions in first supermarket multoples of 4:
4 8 12 16 20
There is a minimum difference of 0 (20-20=0) and the mazimum diffeence of 3 (15-12=3)

thus 3.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2012, 19:54
Thanks for the explanations... it is helpful to note that zero is still a number when talking about the smallest or minimalist, which is an important term that one must never just skim over.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Manager
Manager
Reviews Badge
Re: Susie can buy apples from two stores: a supermarket that  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2012, 06:27
I agree with bunuel , language is confusion but then in either way answer would be 0. I tried it both ways then forgot that language was confusion because answer is same :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2012, 12:46
I knw question is asking minimum so its 0..

But just asking is 1 not a multiplt of 5? as i heard that 1 is multiple of every number?

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

P

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2012, 21:57
sanjoo wrote:
I knw question is asking minimum so its 0..

But just asking is 1 not a multiplt of 5? as i heard that 1 is multiple of every number?

No. 0 is multiple of every integer. 1 is not. e.g. 1 is not a multiple of 5. Can you multiply 5 by another integer to get 1? No.
1 is a factor/divisor of every integer i.e. every integer is divisible by 1.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2012, 20:33
To answer this question, think of the lowest number possible then move forward.

If I buy 0 from the convenient store, I will have to buy 5 bundles of 4 from the supermarket.
If I buy 1 fromt he convenient store, I will have to buy 1 bundle of 4 from the supermarket.

Since the question is the minimum number, we go with 0.

Answer: A

Impossible is nothing to God.

Current Student
D
Schools: Boston U '20 (M)
GRE 1: Q169 V154
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 01:14
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 19:29
i dont agree with any of the explanations above, verbiage is crooked but it says she MUST( stress on must- if it says she can then the answer would be 0) buy from the store that means atleast 1 she needs to buy apple.

my answer is 1 since 4 + 1 is a multiple of 5
V
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 08:19
As we see every choice can give us a multiple of 5. hence lowest is what the question asked. hence, A should definitly be the answer.

4*#bundles + #unbundledApples = total apples

4*1 + 1 = 5
4*2 + 2 = 10
4*3 + 3 = 15
4*4 + 4 = 20
4*5 + 0 = 20

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: EDHEC (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: General Management (Human Resources)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2018, 02:43
I also found the wording of the question very confusing!
But in the end I realized that the question is assessing if you know that 0 is a multiple of every number so I picked A :)
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 10:40
Quote:

A. 0
B. 1
C. 2
D. 3
E. 4

The key to solving this problem is to focus on the word minimum. If Susie were to buy 5 bags of apples at the grocery store she would have a total of 20 apples. In that case she wouldn’t need to purchase any apples from the convenience store. Thus, 0 is the minimum number of apples she must buy from the convenience store.

Answer: A

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Susie can buy apples from two stores: a supermarket that &nbs [#permalink] 02 Mar 2018, 10:40

Susie can buy apples from two stores: a supermarket that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap