GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 12:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Taking a year off to travel?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Taking a year off to travel?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 13:28
Hi everybody!

Brief overview of myself:
Undergrad - Goizueta Business School (Emory University - Class of 2014)
GPA - 3.8
GMAT - Taking it in a couple of months (hopefully 700+)
Work Experience - 1 year Mezzanine Debt Fund, 1.5 years on a startup I co-founded

Currently, I'm at a stage where I'm considering taking a very passive role in the startup and traveling the world (I am very passionate about traveling), while doing some freelancing jobs until the MBA program starts next year. But, I'm worried that this might hurt my application. Would I have a much stronger application if I work for another year? How would adcoms view this?
Personal MBA Coach Founder
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Taking a year off to travel?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 14:32
rshar24 wrote:
Hi everybody!

GPA - 3.8
Work Experience - 1 year Mezzanine Debt Fund, 1.5 years on a startup I co-founded

Currently, I'm at a stage where I'm considering taking a very passive role in the startup and traveling the world (I am very passionate about traveling), while doing some freelancing jobs until the MBA program starts next year. But, I'm worried that this might hurt my application. Would I have a much stronger application if I work for another year? How would adcoms view this?

It sounds like the startup went well if you can take a passive role for a year (hopefully!). While it sounds like a lot of fun, it would not help your application. You are better off working for another year before applying because they want to see how you progress professionally through more than just 2.5 years of experience ideally. Plus, the application will always be stronger if you are working full-time when you submit it.

Please send me an email if you want to discuss your profile further: scott@personalmbacoach.com

Good luck!

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Stratus Admissions Consultant
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2017, 15:03
rshar24 wrote:
Hi everybody!

GPA - 3.8

I hate to pop your party balloons here... but actually I do think you will present as a much stronger candidate if you continue to work at least one more year. Now this is just my opinion, but I have worked on the adcom side for 15 yrs at UNC Kenan-Flagler and if you had presented with 2.5 yrs I would say you would be stronger with 3.5 and also doing some kind of work. I think you should first get into your dream school in R1 and then you will know by about November and at that point, quit, travel for 6-8 months and then go to the business school of your dreams. I do think you will have better odds this way! Sorry...:( I know that is not what you want to hear... and perhaps if you sell your travel experience with some business and cross cultural learning it could work out your way too... but I see it as a riskier option if your goal is to get into the best B School you can. For help with your profile and developing a story that works to help you be successful in MBA admissions, here is a link for a free consult where we can talk about your specifics in more detail...
http://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/ ... b-visitor/

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 07:07
Absolutely not, for all the reasons already mentioned. Get an admit in hand before quitting anything.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 20:56
You def dont want to sound any alarms by quitting prior to securing an admit, schools look for employment gaps. Seek out new opportunities to continuing developing as a leader at your firm to improve the quality of your work experience prior to applying

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Taking a year off to travel? &nbs [#permalink] 28 Feb 2017, 20:56

Taking a year off to travel?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap