GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 04:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Taking GMAT in the evening?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ESSEC '22
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Entertainment and Sports)
Taking GMAT in the evening?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 20:57
Hi guys,

I'm planning on taking my GMAT in about 3 weeks time. However, the date I want to write the exam has only an evening slot. I just wanted to know if anybody has experienced a stark difference in taking the exam in the evening, rather than in the morning. I would ideally like to keep my brain as fresh as possible for the exam and all the mocks which I have taken so far have been around noon time. I know this questions sounds a bit silly but would appreciate if anyone could weigh in on this.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member
Re: Taking GMAT in the evening?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2018, 22:50
Hi nithinjohn,

From our own experience taking the GMAT and speaking to our students, we think the exam time slot matters a lot, especially if you are a kind of person who doesn’t perform as well in the evening. Also, if you work all day, we don’t recommend you to take the exam later in the evening. The GMAT requires you to think hard and clear! This means you need to stay really focused during the exam. Please keep this in mind when you are making your decision! Hope you make a choice that would work out for the best for you!!

Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions.
You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com

Cheers!
Math Revolution

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $99 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

Veritas Prep and Orion Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 09:23
Top Contributor
I'm exactly one data point but my first GMAT test appointment was a 4pm one if I remember right (like an idiot I made 7 or 7:30pm dinner plans and was feeling a little nervous about potentially running late...*that* was on my mind during the test which in a way wasn't terrible because it at least gave me something trivial to be stressed about instead of test anxiety).

A couple tips if you're going that route:

-Don't work all day. A half-day might not be a terrible idea just so that you get yourself up and moving and aren't dwelling on the test all day, but don't work all day.

-DO NOT study all day, or overall dwell on the test all day. The worst thing you can do is just let the test hang over your head all day because then it becomes this momentous, all-consuming thing. So definitely get your brain moving in the morning since "all day" is a long time to ignore/avoid the test and you'll want to get your head right. But find something to do in the early afternoon that's non-test related. Exercise (but not way more than you normally would...you don't want leg cramps mid-quant-section), take a nap, go for a walk, do a 90-minute Netflix binge. Your biggest negatives will be either the exhaustion of studying all day or the nervousness of just thinking about it, so plan for an hour or two of letting your brain relax with something else you enjoy, or with something that lets your subconscious do the lifting (if you're going for a run and your brain kind of works through your strategies, that's great...if you're sitting at a desk all day looking at flash cards, that's probably not great).

-REMEMBER that peak performance can happen in the evening! Nearly every major sporting event takes place at night (Super Bowl, NBA Finals, Olympic 100 meters) and the champion has dealt with that stress of all day leading up to the main event. So it's not insurmountable. So much of test day psychology is mind over matter if you dread the idea of an evening test because you think it sets you up for failure, you're going to do poorly. If you hype yourself up with "Prime Time / Friday Night Lights" kind of mindset, you'll do better. See the positive in it.

If it were me I'd 1) do some review in the morning; 2) go for a run or walk in the late morning / early afternoon and just kind of let my mind wander...I'll think about the test but mainly with my subconscious which should just kind of center me on my best practices, the big mistakes I want to avoid, etc. 3) lay down and try to take a nap with the TV or music on (and several alarms set in case I fall deep asleep so I don't miss my test...but that's not likely going to be a problem), and 4) walk into the test center confident telling myself "all championships are won in prime time, and this one will be, too"

Brian

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2018, 18:21
nithinjohn wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm planning on taking my GMAT in about 3 weeks time. However, the date I want to write the exam has only an evening slot. I just wanted to know if anybody has experienced a stark difference in taking the exam in the evening, rather than in the morning. I would ideally like to keep my brain as fresh as possible for the exam and all the mocks which I have taken so far have been around noon time. I know this questions sounds a bit silly but would appreciate if anyone could weigh in on this.
I'm not sure if there is any science to back this up, but I prefer morning slots. Then again, there are people who feel that other time slots are better (some would even prefer very late night or very early morning slots if they were available!), so I guess it comes down to what you are comfortable with. If you do choose the evening slot, make sure that all your practice tests from now on are at the same time as your actual exam.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ESSEC '22
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Editorial and Writing (Entertainment and Sports)

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2018, 00:38
Thanks guys for all your valuable inputs. VeritasPrepBrian your advice has really pumped me up. I have booked my exam 3 weeks for now and I have managed to pick up an afternoon slot. Let's hope everything works out and I ace this bad boy! :)
Veritas Prep and Orion Instructor
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2018, 12:55
Top Contributor
nithinjohn wrote:
Thanks guys for all your valuable inputs. VeritasPrepBrian your advice has really pumped me up. I have booked my exam 3 weeks for now and I have managed to pick up an afternoon slot. Let's hope everything works out and I ace this bad boy! :)

Awesome - big couple weeks coming up! I like where your mental game is at right now, so here's hoping all the test skills/strategy come together and we see you in the forums shortly asking for advice on which scholarship offer to accept... In the meantime, fire away with any and all questions!

Brian

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2018, 18:09
Hi nithinjohn,

You ask a great question; however, there is no black/white answer. Since all students are different, some students may perform better later in the day and others earlier in the day. Since you are unsure whether taking a late-day GMAT will affect your performance, you should take a practice GMAT (under timed conditions) at the proposed time of your actual GMAT to see how you perform.

Once you take that test, please report back here, and I can provide some further advice on how to proceed.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Taking GMAT in the evening? &nbs [#permalink] 24 Oct 2018, 18:09

Taking GMAT in the evening?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap