GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 16:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Taking the GMAT for the first time in 6 months.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Taking the GMAT for the first time in 6 months.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 17:32
Hi, this is my first post on GMAtclub!

So, Im planning on taking the GMAT around Feb/Mar and since by undergrad GPA is not that good, I really want to score high on the GMAT and make the other components of my application attractive. I am an Economics major and I plan on doing an MSF after graduation. My target schools are; Texas A&M, SMU, Purdue, Rutgers, and Syracuse.

Now what I want help with is on how to start studying for the GMAT? How many topics should I do daily and when I should take practice tests? The thing is I was always good in math and got 92 percentile on my SAT math section, but for some reason when I did some practice questions on the forums here, I was shocked on how I barely could answer even the sub 600 level questions. Also I am not very good at the verbal section but I think I can improve that by learning strategies and concepts.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this problem. (also I plan on doing quantitative section for first couple months and then 3/2 months before the exam start studying everything)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 3.4
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Taking the GMAT for the first time in 6 months.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 17:49
hamzaali2898 wrote:
Hi, this is my first post on GMAtclub!

So, Im planning on taking the GMAT around Feb/Mar and since by undergrad GPA is not that good, I really want to score high on the GMAT and make the other components of my application attractive. I am an Economics major and I plan on doing an MSF after graduation. My target schools are; Texas A&M, SMU, Purdue, Rutgers, and Syracuse.

Now what I want help with is on how to start studying for the GMAT? How many topics should I do daily and when I should take practice tests? The thing is I was always good in math and got 92 percentile on my SAT math section, but for some reason when I did some practice questions on the forums here, I was shocked on how I barely could answer even the sub 600 level questions. Also I am not very good at the verbal section but I think I can improve that by learning strategies and concepts.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this problem. (also I plan on doing quantitative section for first couple months and then 3/2 months before the exam start studying everything)

Hello @hamzaali2898.............as you have quite a bit of time before the exam ...... I think you really can achieve a high score.

The link below by bb : https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-study-p ... ml#p605856 will really help you to plan & kick start the preparation.

Please let me know if I am going in wrong direction.
Thanks in appreciation.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2018, 16:02
Hi hamzaali2898,

Since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) Since it sounds like you'll be studying for the GMAT while you're still in your Undergraduate Program, how many hours do you think you will be able to consistently study for the GMAT each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 02:55
Hi thanks for the advice rich!

So my goal score is 650, and I will retake the exam again in August so time is defintely on my side. However, like I mentioned before since my gpa is quite low, I need to “crush” the GMAT to get into a decent school.
2) I will be studying for about 8-10 hours per week

Posted from my mobile device
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 11:55
Hi hamzaali2898,

You've given yourself lots of time to prepare for the GMAT - which is good. As far as your future Study Plan is concerned, I suggest that you actually do 'some Quant and some Verbal' each week though (as opposed to the "all of one, then all of the other" that you're planning). You'll likely find it easier to retain everything overall if you're doing a mix of subjects. It's also worth noting that the Quant section of the GMAT is NOT a 'math test' - it's a 'critical thinking test' that requires lots of little calculations as you work through it. This is meant to say that beyond (re)learning math concepts, you also have to focus on learning and practicing the proper Quant Tactics to score at a high level in that section.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

e-GMAT Representative
G
Taking the GMAT for the first time in 6 months.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 01:47
Hi hamzaali2898,

To help students like you who have just started studying for GMAT, we created an article on Personalized Study Plan. The article details all the steps to help you create a plan that suits your needs and also some sample plans to help you further. If you face any issue in creating a study plan using that article you can write to us at support@e-gmat.com and we will be happy to help. We conducted a webinar on 28th to talk about strategies to reach your target score in GMAT. You can watch the recording of the session here.

Attend free webinars on SC and NP this weekend to get a head-start in GMAT Prep

We are conducting free webinars in the coming weekend on skills required to ace SC and NP. Register on the below links to be a part of the webinar-
1. Sentence Correction Webinar
2. Number Properties Webinar

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Taking the GMAT for the first time in 6 months. &nbs [#permalink] 30 Jul 2018, 01:47

Taking the GMAT for the first time in 6 months.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap