GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 15:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Taking the GMAT in four days. Need advice on calming my nerves

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Taking the GMAT in four days. Need advice on calming my nerves  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 10:15
Hi,

I'm taking the test on 16th (i.e. four days from now)
I prepared for 2 months.
I bought the GMAT exam pack 1 recently and got the following scores:
Exam 3 : 710 (Q-49 , V-36)
Exam 4 : 710 (Q-49 , V-38)

I just have a couple of questions.
1. Is there anything else that I can do to help my preparation before I take the test?
2. I tend to get very nervous as I start the exam(or if I feel that I'm short of time in a particular section). What can I do to minimise this?

Appreciate any responses and suggestions!

Regards,
Varun
VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Taking the GMAT in four days. Need advice on calming my nerves  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 10:42
varunsingh267 wrote:
Hi,

I prepared for 2 months.

1. Is there anything else that I can do to help my preparation before I take the test?
2. I tend to get very nervous as I start the exam(or if I feel that I'm short of time in a particular section). What can I do to minimise this?

Regards,
Varun

Hi Varun,

As you know GMAT is a tiring journey, you must keep yourself fresh for the attempt. You have done the hard work and now it is time for the real action. You should not study anything new now. Revise, meditate, sleep, and eat healthy should be your activities till the exam ends. Nervous can controlled with better preparation or by better control on mind. Meditation helps a lot even if done for 15 minutes a day. And this not a bad choice either. Keep your eyes healthy as this is one of the best weapon you have for the exam.

You are in a good shape to crack the exam. Be confident as we all are product of our own thoughts.

All the best.

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 20:33
varunsingh267 wrote:
Hi,

I prepared for 2 months.

Regards,
Varun
Hi Varun,

You have some good scores on your practice tests, so you are capable of getting a good score on your GMAT. At this point though, you should focus on a little bit of light practice/revision (nothing heavy). Check your ID (name and DOB used during registration should be the same as on your passport).

As for nervousness, some people actually take AWA first so that they can start off with something that's not critical. If you're not already doing that though, don't start now. What you can definitely do is make sure that you are on track to finish on time. If you have a timing strategy, make sure you follow it on the day of the exam.

All the best!

Ajitesh

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Taking the GMAT in four days. Need advice on calming my nerves  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2018, 06:47
Hey Varun,

I have a couple of suggestions for you

Try and limit yourself to revisiting your error-log if any(else go through the mistakes you
have made in the OG and the GMATPrep tests). Make flashcards(hand-written about some
of the rules that you having a hard time remembering and read them again and again over
the next few days. This is a post which talks about what to do and what not to do 3 days
before the test
https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-to-do-3 ... 71542.html

In order to minimize the nervousness in the beginning - you can do a few questions an hour
before the exam to get into the zone. This must help mitigate some of that nervous energy.
It is very important to have faith in your abilities. Remember you have toiled really hard to
get where you are and you deserve this :)

All the best for your exam and do let us know how it goes for you.

Hope that helps you!

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 17:12
Hi varunsingh267,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. First off, 710 is a great score! You should be super pumped and CONFIDENT about achieving those scores. Thus, you really don’t need to be nervous on test day, right?

I don’t recommend that you do a ton in the next few days. The best thing you can do is keep your head fresh for test day. Try your best to take your mind off the upcoming test and alleviate any pressure that you are putting on yourself. The calmer and more carefree you are when you walk into the test center, the better you will perform on the exam.

If you can’t resist the urge to do GMAT studying, keep your studying light by reviewing flash cards/notes from past topics to ensure that knowledge has not slipped through the cracks.

I wrote an article that you may find helpful that has some more advice regarding how to treat the final week leading up to your GMAT as well as some tips for test day.

Let’s me know how things end up, and please reach out with any further questions.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 10:37
Hi guys,

Thanks a ton for your inputs!
pushpitkc Thanks for your suggestions. As you suggested, I started with the AWA section and I think that helped me gain some confidence.
ScottTargetTestPrep thank you for giving me the much-needed confidence before the test!
I took the GMAT today and got a 720 (Q-48, V-40). Although I was consistently scoring Q 49-50 in my mocks, I'm not disappointed with my overall score. Do you guys think that I should take the test again and try to get that extra 1-2 score in Quant?

Thanks and regards,
Varun
Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 10:48
Hey Varun

Congrats on completing the GMAT.

IMO, the decision for your retake depends on which colleges you planning to apply to. If you are looking at the M7 programs, you need to improve your score to stand a strong chance given the demographic. That said, a higher score will definitely increase your chances of getting a scholarship in those schools. If you think you can score better - go for it. Spend the next 20 days, before which you cannot take another attempt, sharpening your Quant skills and give the exam another shot.

Hope that helps you.

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 10:57
varunsingh267 wrote:
Hi guys,

pushpitkc Thanks for your suggestions. As you suggested, I started with the AWA section and I think that helped me gain some confidence.
ScottTargetTestPrep thank you for giving me the much-needed confidence before the test!
I took the GMAT today and got a 720 (Q-48, V-40). Although I was consistently scoring Q 49-50 in my mocks, I'm not disappointed with my overall score. Do you guys think that I should take the test again and try to get that extra 1-2 score in Quant?

Thanks and regards,
Varun
Congrats on the 720!

As for a retake, I'd say go for it only if you have enough time both to do justice to your applications and to take the GMAT again. Moving from a Q48 to a Q50 with a V40 will get you a 740, but that score is not very different from the 720 you have. It will help, but maybe not as much as a better application.

At least you won't be nervous now that you have a great score under your belt :)

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2018, 17:04
varunsingh267 wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks and regards,
Varun

Congrats on your 720! I’m so glad I was able to help. You certainly could give the GMAT another shot to improve your quant score; however, first I’d reach out to the admissions consultants on GMAT Club to get some further advice.

Once again, congrats, and if you do decide to retake the GMAT, feel free to reach out to me directly. I’d be happy to provide some further advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2018, 16:56
Hi Varun,

First off, a 720/Q48 is an outstanding score (it's above the 90th percentile overall), so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is likely NOT necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Taking the GMAT in four days. Need advice on calming my nerves &nbs [#permalink] 20 Sep 2018, 16:56

Taking the GMAT in four days. Need advice on calming my nerves

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap