Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Status:If u've ego, u've reached ur limit; if ur humble u've no limit.
Affiliations: IIT
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4563 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Target 750+ but hazy understanding of areas to improve upon [#permalink]
ChrisLele wrote:
Hi SyedSan,

You bring up some interesting points. There is definitely a correlation between the amount of time you study on a section and an improvement in score. However, just because you ended up committing more time to a certain question type does not mean your score will go up. Correlation is simply a general relationship over a broad sample size.

In your specific case, I would recommend targeting your weakness within each section. For instance you mention you struggle with long paragraph CR questions. Do your best to find these types of questions and practice becoming better at them. Sometimes ‘better’ simply means faster. It can also mean spending less brainpower answering long CR paragraphs correctly – you will want all the brain reserves possible.

Finally, I would definitely recommend practicing easier problems as well. By practicing only with difficult questions you can overanalyze easier prompts or simply make careless errors. Taking high-quality CATs can help you gain a better sense of how to manage your time and deal effectively with easier and more difficult questions.

Of course don't forget to keep up with the RC. And, if possible, see if you can identify any weakness within RC (the way you did with CR). Targeted RC practice has a much higher correlation with improvement. And, in your case, a better chance at cracking 750.

Good luck!

Thank you so much Chris for giving thoughts and replying.

Now that you have mentioned, I feel that I'm weak at RC-main point questions. but I won't generalize so at this time....will do some(10 or so) questions and try to pin point the weaknesses.

And as per your suggestion I've been working on CR long passage question.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
gmatpill wrote:
Syedsan,
If you're scoring sometimes well, sometimes not - you're confidence on attack strategies is not fully there. You need to mix up the questions and not just focus on RC and then take the test. You need to jump from SC, to CR, to RC. The moment you switch from one type of question, your mind should be able to tweak and focus immediately on the relevant strategies for that section.

It seems the issue is related to "exam time" pressures and you'll do better when you've solidified your attack strategies.

Thanks a lot for replying; I completely agree with you that I need to mix things up. Somebody on some other site also recommended to me that I mix things up specially RC & CR as the approaches towards these two are quite different.

To avoid exam pressure, I have been trying to increase my speed and although, I finished Verbal section with 7minutes remaining in my previous test, I scored the same marks 37 in it -strange ain't it?
GMAT Club Bot