Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 18:50 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: Target Schools Suggestion 29 Indian Male [#permalink]
farhanc85 wrote:
mgg234 wrote:
This advice really only applies to American MBA programs, I'll let other people opine on the rest but:

1: Coming from India, you really need to get your GMAT score up if you want to get into a Kellogg level school, its super competitive even outside the IT crowd. Even for an American, 690 is low.

2: Be careful about going into marketing as an international - many americans companies don't sponsor internationals, and there is an institutional bias against them since it's felt that won't intuitively understand the cultural landscape of Americans.

Thanks for your advice.
I am still not sure about Kellogg, but I have still kept it as a target school cuz of the strong marketing curriculum. After working in 2 different markets in Asia I understand the importance of consumer preferences and identifying with the local culture. Having said that my target is not to work in US but having the network to come back to work in Asia pacific and in future Europe. Does it acts as a hindrance if your post MBA goal is to work in a completely different region?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

In general, no.
But given your profile and goal of working in retail marketing, yes - could be a hindrance.
There are high chances that you would have to return to India to look for a role of your liking after an MBA from any of the European schools on your list. So b prepared for this. And if your goal is to return to India, then think about whether this will make financial sense since you will be earning in INR. :)

The first 2 schools on your list are Dream category for a large proportion of applicants and I would suggest that you treat them that way. You definitely need to increase your GMAT score to 730+ to become competitive for some of the schools on your list.

Also spend some time thinking about what went wrong during your ISB interview last year. You have mentioned it as a Match school - yet, there must have been problem areas. The fact that you could not justify why an MBA makes sense at this stage is a red flag, not just for ISB, but for all other schools. This is something you will be questioned on repeatedly.

Let me know if you need help with doing a Ding Analysis. That would be a good starting point to deciding what to do next.

Regards
Gowri

Gowri N Kishore
Admissions Coach
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
About your goals: Whatever you aspire for in the future, why can't you start those roles from Next monday?

Think about it this way: what are the challenges you will face in that setting? What are your handicaps that you will be exposed to while doing that.

In addition, I saw the list of the school, however, I could not see a list of the employers that you are targeting. Do you know what companies you want to work for? Sears? Rotational leadership programs( Cross Functional Leadership programs). Or are you considering places such as Dupont? GE and Johnson and Johnson will have marketing cum/Sales programs. Both are amazing as the exposure to the global leadership will come with a strong learning curve. However, at your age, and with your work experience, schools want more mature thought process. Be specific ! Tell them why can't you start these roles from next Monday( Figuratively speaking), and be specific about what will a school do for you.

Also remember, some of these firms( Johnson & Johnson and GE) hire from international schools, rotate you around the globe for two years, and place you back in India at salary higher than those offered to IIM Grads( Not sure about ISB).

When did you finish your masters? Which year?
GMAT Club Bot