GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 07:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Targeting 740

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Targeting 740  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 16:16
Hi,

I gave GMAT in 2016 and scored 710. This year i tried to improve my score before applying and was consistently scoring between 720 - 740 in my GMAT mocks. However, on the text day I ended up with a 700. Guess my nerves got the better of me. Anyway, I went ahead and applied in round 2 to 5 schools and now I'm looking to improve my score in the interim period. I have exhausted the 6 MGMAT tests and 6 official GMAT prep tests. My verbal is far weaker than my quant especially SC. For this I took the E-Gmat course, but i haven't improved. Infact my score dropped further.
Looking to just give tests for 3 weeks and calm my nerves. Which tests should i target giving?
Really need this guidance. Appreciate it. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Targeting 740  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 19:16
1.) Did you only take each of the 6 official GMAT Prep tests once? Since the GMAT Prep tests (especially the two free ones) draw from a larger pool of questions, I found that it is possible to reset the tests, take them again and not get repeat questions.

2.) The GMAT Prep test company also sells question packs with 400+ additional questions. The questions are not in test format. But you can pick which questions you want to focus on (i.e. questions can be selected by difficulty level and question type) and create mini quizzes. I went through all the verbal questions in the question pack. For the questions I got wrong (besides reading the official explanations), I looked them up on GMATClub forum to see how other people got to the right answer.

3.) In your retake, did you take the verbal section last? It might help to take the verbal section either first or second (depending on your comfort level). I feel like since it's a long test, it helps to take the verbal section early when your mind is still fresh.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 21:54
shrutisharma92 wrote:
My verbal is far weaker than my quant especially SC.

Hi Shruti! Since you mention SC as area of concern, though I would mention that our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

See here how Mohit, who scored 750 on GMAT, vouches for our book.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send that chapter to you by mail. In addition, the entire Grammar section of the book is also available for free preview at pothi.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 00:34
Thank you.

1. Yes, i have taken them just once. Will reset them then. I did take the additional 400 questions, but will look at them systematically again.
2. I am planning on giving the verbal section first this time. Will give mocks and see it I am able to adapt to that format. I have taken the veristas 7 tests pack as well. Is their verbal section authentic?

Thank you for your quick response. Really appreciate it.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 03:39
If your verbal score is low only because of SC, then you can really push your score higher because SC unlike RC or CR is governed only by a known set of rules. If you master them, there is no reason why you cannot score high. Coming back to the root cause of your problem, did you analyze why you made mistakes in SC and what are those mistakes. Practicing is good BUT it is more important to learn lessons from mistakes and not make them again. The reason of scoring less in SC could be due to following:

1) Lack of clear concepts in core areas: parallelism, modifiers, idioms?, there can be others as well but these are core.
2) Lack of practice
3) Time pressure

For each question that you miss in SC you should be able to categorize in one of the above three areas. Once you do that you will see that your mistakes will go down.
Also have you tried going through Thursdays with Ron videos on SC. IMHO, they are the best source for learning and strengthening the basics of SC. If not please go through all of them.
If you are still facing difficulties in a particular concept or area, post your questions in the forums.
Hope this helps.

Retaking gmat for second time, any re-takers please feel free to connect.

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 04:46
shrutisharma92 wrote:
Thank you.

1. Yes, i have taken them just once. Will reset them then. I did take the additional 400 questions, but will look at them systematically again.
2. I am planning on giving the verbal section first this time. Will give mocks and see it I am able to adapt to that format. I have taken the veristas 7 tests pack as well. Is their verbal section authentic?

Thank you for your quick response. Really appreciate it.

View our SC video here before you start taking the tests: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-prep/
During the practice tests, use the strategies discussed in the video.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Re: Targeting 740 &nbs [#permalink] 24 Jan 2018, 04:46

Targeting 740

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap