GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 15:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

     December 09, 2018

     December 09, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Free lesson on number properties

     December 10, 2018

     December 10, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Team A and Team B are competing against each other in a game

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51035
Re: Team A and Team B are competing against each other in a game  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 02:18
1
pkloeti wrote:
Check the highlighted part of the stem:

Team A and Team B are competing against each other in a game of tug-of-war. Team A, consisting of 3 males and 3 females, decides to lineup male, female, male, female, male, female. The lineup that Team A chooses will be one of how many different possible lineups?


So does this mean in "GMAT language" that every 1st, 3rd and 5th person in the lineup MUST be a male? If so, I get it. I guess it's about practicing GMAT language...[/quote]

Well, yes. How else? The stem directly specifies the desired line-up: it should start with a male and then alternate females and males.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2018
Posts: 5
Re: Team A and Team B are competing against each other in a game  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 02:24
Bunuel wrote:
pkloeti wrote:
Check the highlighted part of the stem:

Team A and Team B are competing against each other in a game of tug-of-war. Team A, consisting of 3 males and 3 females, decides to lineup male, female, male, female, male, female. The lineup that Team A chooses will be one of how many different possible lineups?


So does this mean in "GMAT language" that every 1st, 3rd and 5th person in the lineup MUST be a male? If so, I get it. I guess it's about practicing GMAT language...


Well, yes. How else? The stem directly specifies the desired line-up: it should start with a male and then alternate females and males.[/quote]


OK, thanks a lot!!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 11 Sep 2013
Posts: 151
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Team A and Team B are competing against each other in a game  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 09:31
Bunuel wrote:
pkloeti wrote:
Check the highlighted part of the stem:

Team A and Team B are competing against each other in a game of tug-of-war. Team A, consisting of 3 males and 3 females, decides to lineup male, female, male, female, male, female. The lineup that Team A chooses will be one of how many different possible lineups?


So does this mean in "GMAT language" that every 1st, 3rd and 5th person in the lineup MUST be a male? If so, I get it. I guess it's about practicing GMAT language...


Well, yes. How else? The stem directly specifies the desired line-up: it should start with a male and then alternate females and males.[/quote]



Hi Bunuel,

Could you please clarify me the following? the

I was also confused by the wording. But I was sure that it won't be 6! ways because MMMFFF can't be arranged in 6! ways.

I thought it would be 6!/(3!*3!) = 20

But this option is not given. So, I had to figure out the solution by doing 3!*3! = 36

Now, I am not sure what the difference is between 6!/(3!*3!) = 20 and 3!*3! = 36.

I think 6!/(3!*3!) = 20 means the number of the different possible combination. and

3!*3! = 36 means the arrangement with a certain condition.

Please clarify the confusion.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51035
Team A and Team B are competing against each other in a game  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 19:53
1
Raihanuddin wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

Could you please clarify me the following? the

I was also confused by the wording. But I was sure that it won't be 6! ways because MMMFFF can't be arranged in 6! ways.

I thought it would be 6!/(3!*3!) = 20

But this option is not given. So, I had to figure out the solution by doing 3!*3! = 36

Now, I am not sure what the difference is between 6!/(3!*3!) = 20 and 3!*3! = 36.

I think 6!/(3!*3!) = 20 means the number of the different possible combination. and

3!*3! = 36 means the arrangement with a certain condition.

Please clarify the confusion.


3!*3! is the number of permutations when the lineup is male, female, male, female, male, female (M-F-M-F-M-F) only.

6!/(3!3!) is the number of permutations of 3 males and 3 females without any restrictions.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 11 Jul 2016
Posts: 36
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Team A and Team B are competing against each other in a game  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 20:06
Bunuel wrote:
ashygoyal wrote:
Team A and Team B are competing against each other in a game of tug-of-war. Team A, consisting of 3 males and 3 females, decides to lineup male, female, male, female, male, female. The lineup that Team A chooses will be one of how many different possible lineups?

(A) 9
(B) 12
(C) 15
(D) 36
(E) 720

I have a doubt here.
Should we count,
(m1 w1 m2 w2 m3 w3) as a line up or,
(m w m w m w) as a line up?

According to the question, it says one of the lineups is (m w m w m w)
Doesn't that mean, other lineups will also include (m m m w w w), (w w w m m m),... and so on?

What wording in question makes us stick to only (m w m w m w)?

Please correct if my thought process is wrong.


Regards,
Ashygoyal


The question says that the lineup should be male, female, male, female, male, female (M-F-M-F-M-F) only. So, alternating males and females, starting with a male. Any male can take any of the three M's positions and any female can take any of the three F's positions giving different arrangements. 3 men can be arranged in 3! ways and similarly 3 women can be arranged in 3! ways. So, the answer is 3!*3! = 36.

Answer: D.

Hope it's clear.


Posted from my mobile device


Can't we consider total combinations as 6!/(3!×3!) which gives 20. In this case with total combinations being 20, how can a specific combination gives 36 ?
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51035
Re: Team A and Team B are competing against each other in a game  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 20:10
anvesh004 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
ashygoyal wrote:
Team A and Team B are competing against each other in a game of tug-of-war. Team A, consisting of 3 males and 3 females, decides to lineup male, female, male, female, male, female. The lineup that Team A chooses will be one of how many different possible lineups?

(A) 9
(B) 12
(C) 15
(D) 36
(E) 720

I have a doubt here.
Should we count,
(m1 w1 m2 w2 m3 w3) as a line up or,
(m w m w m w) as a line up?

According to the question, it says one of the lineups is (m w m w m w)
Doesn't that mean, other lineups will also include (m m m w w w), (w w w m m m),... and so on?

What wording in question makes us stick to only (m w m w m w)?

Please correct if my thought process is wrong.


Regards,
Ashygoyal


The question says that the lineup should be male, female, male, female, male, female (M-F-M-F-M-F) only. So, alternating males and females, starting with a male. Any male can take any of the three M's positions and any female can take any of the three F's positions giving different arrangements. 3 men can be arranged in 3! ways and similarly 3 women can be arranged in 3! ways. So, the answer is 3!*3! = 36.

Answer: D.

Hope it's clear.


Posted from my mobile device


Can't we consider total combinations as 6!/(3!×3!) which gives 20. In this case with total combinations being 20, how can a specific combination gives 36 ?


I think you did not read the whole discussion. Please do. I hope it helps.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Team A and Team B are competing against each other in a game &nbs [#permalink] 09 Sep 2018, 20:10

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Team A and Team B are competing against each other in a game

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron
Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.