GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2019, 12:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Technique and study plan for GMAT and some questions on MBA

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Technique and study plan for GMAT and some questions on MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 03:29
Hi GMATClub Fellows

I would like your advice on a few things.

1) How difficult is it to achieve a 700+ score on GMAT? I have 3.5 months to study, and I plan to dedicate 15 hours a week studying(2hr/day on a week day and 5 on weekend). Using Manhattan prep(all 10 books) and OG2018.
- What are some tips, tricks or recommended study plan?
- Are these books alone enough? or Should I also take classes?
- How can I be as efficient with my time as possible? any technique?

2) For MBA application. Deadline of most of the Universities I plan to apply for is around the end of Oct. So if I study for 4 months(starting today) I will at have most 2 attempts at GMAT before applying for the first round. My questions being
- How important is it applying for the first round?
- Does it make any differences applying first round vs later rounds in term of difficulties and acceptance rate and other consideration?

3) my top 5 universities are 1) University of Melbourne 2) University of Sydney 3) University of New south wales 4) INSEAD (Singapore) 5) Nanyang University of Singapore
- I have done some research on these universities but would like to know more about your opinions of them. Other than the school official website, are there any other sources that I can research further on?
- What are your opinions on these schools?

Thank you and have a nice day :)

Best
Manager
Manager
P
Premium Member
Re: Technique and study plan for GMAT and some questions on MBA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 03:55
Hi BestWich and welcome to Gmat Club,

First of all, I would suggest to take a CAT on mba.com (once registered, you would be entitled to two free mock exams, which are best to judge your current score) to use as your baseline and decide which section you are stronger and work from it. For Quant, follow the link https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-gma ... 44512.html. Here, you really have everything you need. If you feel like you still want online course, try Target Test Prep, they offer 5 day free trial. Else, you can use Egmat Quant (if you opt for it, ping me, I will give you some advices as I, myself used it). As per Verbal, many Gmat aspiratants struggle most with this section, I would recommend to use MGMAT SC book, Power score bible CR book, and per RC just practice many many passages here on GC.
If you start high from Quant, you may also want to use GMAT CLUB TESTS, they are gem, they will help you incredibly much. You can earn points by being helpful to community and later redeem the points to access those tests or you can just purchase them.
Perhaps, this would be my initial suggestion to some new on the GMAT journey.
Happy studying.
If you found my post helpful, please press kudos. Thank you.
G

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 08:43
Top Contributor
Start off studying sort of "on-the-side" -- then once you commit to kicking things into high-gear -- then it's nothing but studying. Live, breath, and sleep the GMAT for full entire days. And then rest -- and then go at it again - then rest. Then review - and kickass on the exam.

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... study-plan

We also recommend a "Divide and Conquer" approach first.

That is - focus on specific sections - like Sentence Correction. Dedicate an entire day - heck, dedicate multiple consecutive days dedicated ONLY to sentence correction.

For example: tomorrow is "Sentence Correction Day" - and don't move on until you feel you've made a significant improvement and have results to show.

If you operate with that kind of work ethic - and apply that process to RC, RC, PS, DS, etc. -- then you will have individually made good progress in each section.

Then from there, it's about mixing and matching different verbal and quant questions - just as you would see them on the actual test. So take practice tests to simulate this mental switch between different question types under time pressure.

For practice, we recommend the practice tests from mba.com as was from supplemental resources such as this one from GMAT Pill:
http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... ctice-test

To learn more about GMAT Pill - read our stories at http://www.gmatpill.com/testimonials
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 13:44
Hi BestWich,

I mentioned this in your other post-thread, but it's worth repeating - since it sounds like you're just beginning your studies, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can take 2 for free at www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 3.5 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

Many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level - although it's clearly too early to define how, when or if that will happen to you. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. You've given yourself lots of potential study time - which is good - but, you will also likely end up needing to invest in some additional non-book resources to hit your Score Goal.

As far as application advice is concern, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Technique and study plan for GMAT and some questions on MBA   [#permalink] 25 May 2019, 13:44

Technique and study plan for GMAT and some questions on MBA

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep