Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Check

66% [8]
33% [4]
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Tepper(no $) vs Smeal(free ride)- Intntl- SCM/Operations [#permalink]
Thanks kasonhills for your reply.

Originally posted by gtvisa2002 on 22 Mar 2013, 17:44.
Last edited by gtvisa2002 on 25 Aug 2013, 02:49, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your response aerien.

Originally posted by gtvisa2002 on 22 Mar 2013, 17:48.
Last edited by gtvisa2002 on 25 Aug 2013, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Go to Smeal if you are really serious about SCM. It is really good in that area (only). If you do, forget about MC. However, if you can arrange for the money, get a loan or something and are risk averse ($100k is huge money) - choose Tepper. It would any day top Smeal in most fields by a good margin, better network, higher starting packages and a much respected brand. Amazon and a lot of other tech/operations firms are big recruiters at Tepper.

You only have to decide whether you can afford Tepper, somehow. Good luck.

PS: I voted for Smeal.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
boothcornellrock wrote:
Go to Smeal if you are really serious about SCM. It is really good in that area (only). If you do, forget about MC. However, if you can arrange for the money, get a loan or something and are risk averse ($100k is huge money) - choose Tepper. It would any day top Smeal in most fields by a good margin, better network, higher starting packages and a much respected brand. Amazon and a lot of other tech/operations firms are big recruiters at Tepper.

You only have to decide whether you can afford Tepper, somehow. Good luck.

PS: I voted for Smeal.

Thanks boothcornellrock. I like the way you transformed the question.

I see, albeit different questions you too are in a similar situation.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
gtvisa2002 wrote:
Thanks kasonhills for your reply.

kasonhills wrote:
well there is a pretty big jump between penn state and tepper i think. I don't know much about that field, so i'd take a look at the employment reports. If penn state can get you where you want to be, then it might be worth it to go there. But I doubt there will be many opportunities for management consulting out of penn state.

I was surprised to see the employment reports of Penn State, they place students in firms like E&Y and Deloitte for SCM consulting roles.

kasonhills wrote:
the financial freedom of penn state doesn't mean that you'll be able to accept any job you want after school, in fact many companies that recruit at tepper likely won't recruit at smeagol. Also keep in mind that as bad as this sounds, penn state is still at a low point due to what happened with whats his name.

I agree. The financial freedom will buy me only SCM roles. As "aerien" mentioned Smeal does well but only in SCM.

kasonhills wrote:
That being said, 150k is a lot of money. have you tried to apply anywhere else? maybe there is a happy medium. another program that is ranked a bit below tepper that would give you some money. Something like georgetown or similar. Unless you are only looking in pa. my point is that personally i wouldn't go to penn state over tepper even with the money. it's too big of a jump. But not knowing much about supply chain management I can't comment as to penn states ability to get you where you want to go.

Matter of fact I did. Wisconsin, which is another good but not great program with respect to rankings, gave me half of tuition fee, but I feel that's neither here nor there.

Ok I see, well like I said I don't know much about SCM but it sounds like Smeal has decent placement there so if you are dead set 100% positive that you want to do that, then yeah I could see it being worth forgoing the brand and recruiting of CMU.

But if you think you might want to explore other options I'd definitely go to Tepper. It's a big investment yes, but the long term return will likely be much greater.

Let us know what you decide to do and good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kasonhills wrote:
Ok I see, well like I said I don't know much about SCM but it sounds like Smeal has decent placement there so if you are dead set 100% positive that you want to do that, then yeah I could see it being worth forgoing the brand and recruiting of CMU.

But if you think you might want to explore other options I'd definitely go to Tepper. It's a big investment yes, but the long term return will likely be much greater.

Let us know what you decide to do and good luck.

Thank you, I will definitely keep you all updated.
Intern
Intern
Send PM

Originally posted by gtvisa2002 on 09 Apr 2013, 12:47.
Last edited by gtvisa2002 on 25 Aug 2013, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Kudos
Have you looked at U Pitt (Katz)? Is that even an option? From my memory they do well in MIS and Operations and place well in firms like Deloitte for SCM consulting. I could be wrong.

If that's not an option, I would probably take Smeal to be honest. A full ride is no joke and sure, Tepper/CMU is a more prestigious brand, I would probably like to live in Pittsburgh - but if you can get into your desired post-MBA career role/industry, then it's a no-brainer.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
How sure are you about SCM ? I would agrue that you can easily stand out in Smeal and probably will get job in Big4 SCM. Once you get your foot into the door its all about how you perform there. If it was Cornell or Duke, then it was worth the risk. However CMU still has to catch up with Duke and the high tuition will only make things tougher for you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM

Originally posted by gtvisa2002 on 15 Apr 2013, 09:06.
Last edited by gtvisa2002 on 25 Aug 2013, 02:52, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM

Originally posted by gtvisa2002 on 15 Apr 2013, 09:13.
Last edited by gtvisa2002 on 25 Aug 2013, 02:53, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
gtvisa2002 wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:
How sure are you about SCM ? I would agrue that you can easily stand out in Smeal and probably will get job in Big4 SCM. Once you get your foot into the door its all about how you perform there. If it was Cornell or Duke, then it was worth the risk. However CMU still has to catch up with Duke and the high tuition will only make things tougher for you.

This is exactly what my concern is, at this moment I am 90% set on SCM. But what if I rethink and would like to chnage, at Penn state there wouldn't be a lot of options and at CMU I would be ok.

It all comes down to Flexibility vs Money (short term, anyway).
No one can say that it will be impossible to change industries at Penn state and will be absolutely possible to get the job I want at CMU.

Better get in touch with couple of CMU graduates and get a picture from them regarding career changers.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have decided to enroll in Penn State.
Though I have reached the end of B school application process, I will be happy to help current and future GMATClubbers.

I thank those who provided their inputs and wish you good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts