GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 10:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Terrible GMAT score. Suggestions for the second attempt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Terrible GMAT score. Suggestions for the second attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2018, 08:24
Hi, I took the GMAT two days back and scored a dismal 660 (Q48 V34) inspite of the following scores on the GMATPrep Tests (all taken within a two week span before the Test day):
Prep2: 730 (Q49 V40)
Prep5: 750 (Q50 V41)
Prep6 (the following day): 710 (Q50 V38)
Prep1: 750 (Q50 V42)
Prep3: 730 (Q49 V40)
Prep4 (two days before the actual test) : 740 (Q50 V40)
I took all of these at the same time as my testing slot and most of them away from home.
Though I did have slight trouble sleeping the night before, I felt pretty attentive on the day of the test. There were technical glitches at the centre, during both the quant and verbal section, but I was compensated for the time lost. I do not know if that might have also affected the mindset. During the quants section I felt I was answering well except that I got too attached to one particular question (thinking it might help me get to the perfect 51) and had to guess on the last 3 questions because of that. Other than that I cannot think of anywhere I might have messed up, even during verbal.
I'm completely rattled but I guess it's best to try one more time. I am mostly targeting ISB R1 (deadline: 15th sept) and this score won't help. Looking for suggestions on when to take it next and how to go about it a second time considering I'll have to be simultaneously working on the application and won't have much respite from work, this time around. Please help.
examPAL Representative
G
Re: Terrible GMAT score. Suggestions for the second attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2018, 09:40
Hey Dp152,

First off, don't give up! Your CATs are all much higher than your real exam suggesting that the Test Day score was not indicative. Especially as you've spent the last two weeks taking a practice test almost every other day, you may have been a bit drained on test day itself.
Also, as I'm sure you've noticed, your Verbal score fell more than your Quant: a drop from V40 to V34 corresponds to a drop from 90th percentile to 71st percentile while Q49/Q50 to Q48 correspond to about a 12% drop. This suggests that while the last 3 questions may have affected your total Quant score, the larger difference was somewhere in your Verbal section.

Before offering any specific advice it would help quite a bit if you could answer the following:
1. Have you ordered the ESR? This will be very useful for debugging. Feel free to send it to me here, I will be happy to analyze it for you.
2. When you took your CATs, did you take a full-length exam under similar conditions to the real thing?
3. Which section order did you pick on exam day?
4. How much time do you reasonably think you'll be able to afford for study in the next month?

I am a CR Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about CR
I am a DS Expert - Ask Me ANYTHING about DS

Watch free GMAT tutorials in Math, Verbal, IR, and AWA.

GMAT test takers: Watch now the GMAC interview with the people who write the GMAT test!
We discussed the chances of improving a GMAT score; how important the first questions on the test are; what to do if you don’t have enough time to complete a whole section; and more.

You can watch all the action from the interview here.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2018, 13:19
Hi Dp152,

The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. From what you describe, you took 6 CATs in 2 weeks - including one just two days before your Official GMAT. Considering the fact that you also had trouble sleeping the night before your Exam, there's a good chance that you experienced some 'burn out' on Test Day - and it sounds as though you were not at your best.

Thus, it's certainly possible that you were just too tired when you took the Official GMAT. That having been said, there could be other factors in your performance, so I'd like to know a bit more about how you took your CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Which CATs did you take them at home and what was the other location you mentioned for your other CATs?
3) What time did you take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 08:41
DavidTutorexamPAL wrote:
Hey Dp152,

First off, don't give up! Your CATs are all much higher than your real exam suggesting that the Test Day score was not indicative. Especially as you've spent the last two weeks taking a practice test almost every other day, you may have been a bit drained on test day itself.
Also, as I'm sure you've noticed, your Verbal score fell more than your Quant: a drop from V40 to V34 corresponds to a drop from 90th percentile to 71st percentile while Q49/Q50 to Q48 correspond to about a 12% drop. This suggests that while the last 3 questions may have affected your total Quant score, the larger difference was somewhere in your Verbal section.

Before offering any specific advice it would help quite a bit if you could answer the following:
1. Have you ordered the ESR? This will be very useful for debugging. Feel free to send it to me here, I will be happy to analyze it for you.
2. When you took your CATs, did you take a full-length exam under similar conditions to the real thing?
3. Which section order did you pick on exam day?
4. How much time do you reasonably think you'll be able to afford for study in the next month?

Hi David
Thanks for your reply.
1. Have not ordered the ESR yet. I'm still in two minds over it. deciding against it mostly
2. Yes. I made it a point to take the full length exams in an as similar setting as possible
3. I picked the third order: quant-verbal-IR and AWa and have always practised in the same order
4. I'll manage roughly an hour daily on weekdays and 3 on weekends

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 08:56
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Dp152,

The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. From what you describe, you took 6 CATs in 2 weeks - including one just two days before your Official GMAT. Considering the fact that you also had trouble sleeping the night before your Exam, there's a good chance that you experienced some 'burn out' on Test Day - and it sounds as though you were not at your best.

Thus, it's certainly possible that you were just too tired when you took the Official GMAT. That having been said, there could be other factors in your performance, so I'd like to know a bit more about how you took your CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Which CATs did you take them at home and what was the other location you mentioned for your other CATs?
3) What time did you take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

Rich

Hello Rich,
1) I took full length CATs each time, keeping IR and AWA at the end
2) I took prep 1 and 2 from home. Also Took the verbal section onwards from home in case of prep 5. The remaining tests I took from a library
3) took it 10:30AM
4) I had to pause the test once on two of the tests because, for a minute or two. During prep 5 the break was a lot longer because I had to take the verbal section onwards from home, due to connectivity issues
5) I repeated prep 1 (had taken it 2 months back before that) so found 1 RC familiar. In the others might have found a familiar RC passage or CR question. But don't remember exactly which ones these were. EP 1 and 2 mostly had almost all new questions as far as I recall.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 16:59
Hi Dp152,

From your prior post, there were some 'red flags' in terms of how you took your CATs. Before we discuss those issues though, I have a few additional questions about the lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself:

1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
3) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
4) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
5) Did you finish any sections early?
6) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 04:47
1) took prep4 on the first day and some questions remaining from the QPack. revision of rules and formulae, and review of sums from OG bundle, and QP that I had flagged on the last two days
2) approx. 20 minutes
3) as mentioned, due to some connectivity issues, the test screen froze once during quant and and once during the verbal section, so each time the test had to shut down and restarted on a different machine. The differential b/w the restart time and freezing time was added to the test by the administrator ( by logging into it). Other than this there were no other distractions, since I was the only person taking the test that day
4) drank water, ate some bot of chocolate and used the restroom
5) no
6) I had to guess on the last 3 questions in the quants section to finish on time

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 10:53
Hi Dp152,

I am sorry to hear that your test result was not in line with your expectations. Quite often test day results are not the same as mock results and there are many reasons out there for this. You seem to have a drop in both sections but more so in Verbal than Quant. To improve from here, you must first identify the sections that you didn’t do well on. If you have ordered the ESR then you can check from there or else you may follow the below mentioned steps:
    1. Identify topic level preparedness using Ability Quizzes in Scholaranium
    2. Isolate the topics in which you are relatively weak
    3. Improve upon those topics
If you need help in creating personalized study plan to reach your target score, you can also write to us support@e-gmat.com.
    • Ashish improved from a 680 to 750. Learn how he focused on basics and leveraged the Verbal course architecture to achieve this feat. Click here to read his inspiring journey.

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 10:58
Dp152 wrote:
Hi, I took the GMAT two days back and scored a dismal 660 (Q48 V34) inspite of the following scores on the GMATPrep Tests (all taken within a two week span before the Test day):
Prep2: 730 (Q49 V40)
Prep5: 750 (Q50 V41)
Prep6 (the following day): 710 (Q50 V38)
Prep1: 750 (Q50 V42)
Prep3: 730 (Q49 V40)
Prep4 (two days before the actual test) : 740 (Q50 V40)
I took all of these at the same time as my testing slot and most of them away from home.
Though I did have slight trouble sleeping the night before, I felt pretty attentive on the day of the test. There were technical glitches at the centre, during both the quant and verbal section, but I was compensated for the time lost. I do not know if that might have also affected the mindset. During the quants section I felt I was answering well except that I got too attached to one particular question (thinking it might help me get to the perfect 51) and had to guess on the last 3 questions because of that. Other than that I cannot think of anywhere I might have messed up, even during verbal.
I'm completely rattled but I guess it's best to try one more time. I am mostly targeting ISB R1 (deadline: 15th sept) and this score won't help. Looking for suggestions on when to take it next and how to go about it a second time considering I'll have to be simultaneously working on the application and won't have much respite from work, this time around. Please help.

Hi
Your prep scores suggest that you are capable of much more on the actual test. The score drop in the actual test can happen due to a number of reasons, one of which is anxiety, which is normal. Also, as you mentioned due to some glitches in the test you might have felt unnerved. Remember do not hurry for the applications. Meanwhile, keep up the tempo. You can always apply in the second round too. Only if you are confident, book the test dates.
Hope it helps.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Terrible GMAT score. Suggestions for the second attempt &nbs [#permalink] 07 Aug 2018, 10:58

Terrible GMAT score. Suggestions for the second attempt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap