Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Re: Test Prep Materials and General Questions [#permalink]
Definitely take one now in order to get your baseline score clear. And then you can work on your specific weaknesses in an order that you feel is right.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 771 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
TIC wrote:
whiplash2411 wrote:
I think that your selection of books is pretty wise. The MGMAT Math guides are excellent and their SC book is hailed to be the bible of SC by many GMAT Club users. Having said that, a lot of us find the diagramming strategy that MGMAT uses for CR to be very long drawn and arduous. So you might want to purchase the Powerscore CR Bible, which is an excellent source for CR. You might also want to purchase the OG Quant and Verbal Reviews if you wish to have more practice. Apart from that, it's all down to dedication and how well you have the drive to do well on this test. Check out some other threads on the GMAT forum which have been stickied. They'll be of great help to you.

Thanks I will look into them. I also downloaded your CR Guide for future reference.

Would you suggest I take a cold GMAT Prep test or save them?

I would save the GMAT Prep tests until you are close to taking the test. There are plenty of other diagnostic tests you can do if you want to get a baseline. If you plan on working through all the MGMAT books, I don't think there is much point in taking a test now. I think it is important to do all the books, because there is surely stuff to be learned from them. If you score good on a diagnostic at this point, will you just not prepare any? If not, don't waste it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
Definitely take one now in order to get your baseline score clear. And then you can work on your specific weaknesses in an order that you feel is right.

Will do. It's going to be ugly, I haven't touched any form of math since my soph year of college.

Generally I do well with any math portion of standardized testing, so hopefully it won't be too ugly.

RC and CR shouldn't be too difficult as those were some of my strong points back when I was considering the LSAT.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jpr200012 wrote:
TIC wrote:
whiplash2411 wrote:
I think that your selection of books is pretty wise. The MGMAT Math guides are excellent and their SC book is hailed to be the bible of SC by many GMAT Club users. Having said that, a lot of us find the diagramming strategy that MGMAT uses for CR to be very long drawn and arduous. So you might want to purchase the Powerscore CR Bible, which is an excellent source for CR. You might also want to purchase the OG Quant and Verbal Reviews if you wish to have more practice. Apart from that, it's all down to dedication and how well you have the drive to do well on this test. Check out some other threads on the GMAT forum which have been stickied. They'll be of great help to you.

Thanks I will look into them. I also downloaded your CR Guide for future reference.

Would you suggest I take a cold GMAT Prep test or save them?

I would save the GMAT Prep tests until you are close to taking the test. There are plenty of other diagnostic tests you can do if you want to get a baseline. If you plan on working through all the MGMAT books, I don't think there is much point in taking a test now. I think it is important to do all the books, because there is surely stuff to be learned from them. If you score good on a diagnostic at this point, will you just not prepare any? If not, don't waste it.

Hmm you have a point.

I am in no rush to take the exam. Maybe it would be more beneficial to just study the basics and go through all the books. The two tests I can save for a month or two down the road when I am ready to record a serious benchmark. Then I can address my weaknesses, and plan the best course of action.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
How many hours preparation is good for GMAT. People only study for 2-3 hours a day and score good marks. Is the time calculated after basic fundamental preparation has been done or from the beginning? PLease suggest.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
rakhisingh70 wrote:
How many hours preparation is good for GMAT. People only study for 2-3 hours a day and score good marks. Is the time calculated after basic fundamental preparation has been done or from the beginning? PLease suggest.

It depends from person to person. If you are strong in verbal and quant already then you may require less time compared to the one who is weaker in the sections.

I'll suggest to study about 180-200 hours before sitting in real exam, but that also depends how much you are concentrating! Solving problems while logged in to facebook doesn't counts towards the study time :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
jpr200012 wrote:
kissthegmat wrote:
rakhisingh70 wrote:

It depends from person to person. If you are strong in verbal and quant already then you may require less time compared to the one who is weaker in the sections.

I'll suggest to study about 180-200 hours before sitting in real exam, but that also depends how much you are concentrating! Solving problems while logged in to facebook doesn't counts towards the study time :)

lol

Yes, it's true almost everyone commit this mistake that trying hard to solve problems when you are online on facebook :) including me :)
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
haha facebook should be on banned site list for Gmat aspirants !! :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 771 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
I'm guilty of working problems while trying to watch TV with my wife. Then I'll make a few silly mistakes and wonder what is wrong with me :)
GMAT Club Bot