GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 07:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

03:00 PM EST

04:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

The airline's proposed purchases of as many as 250 medium-ra

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
The airline's proposed purchases of as many as 250 medium-ra  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2013, 10:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

85% (00:51) correct 15% (01:06) wrong based on 385 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The airline's proposed purchases of as many as 250 medium-range planes will probably be the basis of an overhaul of its routes; it is expected that they will increase the number of direct point-to-point flights, instead of continue to use feeder aircraft to bring passengers to major hubs.

(A) it is expected that they will increase the number of direct point-to-point flights, instead of continue
(B) it is expected that it will increase the number of direct point-to-point flights, rather than to continue
(C) it is expected that the number of direct point-to-point flights will increase, instead of their continuing
(D) the airline is expected to increase the number of direct point-to-point flights, rather than continue
(E) the airline is expected to increase the number of direct point-to-point flights, instead of its continuing

+1 if you like the question. :-D
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The airline's proposed purchases of as many as 250 medium-ra  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2013, 11:12
ksung84 wrote:
The airline's proposed purchases of as many as 250 medium-range planes will probably be the basis of an overhaul of its routes; it is expected that they will increase the number of direct point-to-point flights, instead of continue to use feeder aircraft to bring passengers to major hubs.

(A) it is expected that they will increase the number of direct point-to-point flights, instead of continue
(B) it is expected that it will increase the number of direct point-to-point flights, rather than to continue
(C) it is expected that the number of direct point-to-point flights will increase, instead of their continuing
(D) the airline is expected to increase the number of direct point-to-point flights, rather than continue
(E) the airline is expected to increase the number of direct point-to-point flights, instead of its continuing

+1 if you like the question. :-D

some theories:
correct idiom: X rather than Y or X instead of Y==>HERE X AND Y MUST BE PARALLEL.

possessive nouns can serve as antecedents only to possessive pronouns, not to subject or object pronouns.

basing this rule. we can easily eliminate option A and B...because THEY (IN OPTION A) AND IT(IN OPTION B) are subject pronoun but we have AIRLINES IN possesive form so its wrong.

WRONG

WRONG

WRONG
-their = plural and airline = singular
-NOT PARALLEL will increase is not parallel to their continuing

CORRECT.
-to increase parallel to (to) continue.

WRONG
--NOT PARALLEL to increase is not parallel to its continuing

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 01:56
why possesive +noun
is alway problematic
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 02:14
thangvietnam

It is not that possessive nouns are always problematic. It is just that whenever you see a noun in possessive case, you should check whether a pronoun that refer to the possessive noun is also in possessive case. A subject or object pronoun should never refers to a noun in possessive case. Note that the possessive pronoun still can refer to a subject or object noun.

For ex. Both of the following sentences are correct.

I met John yesterday as I had to return his books.

Here possessive pronoun his refers to object noun John.

Since I had John's books for the past one year, his books are not in good condition anymore.

Here possessive pronoun his refer to possessive noun John's.

Consider KUDOS if my post helped :)

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2018, 13:40
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The airline's proposed purchases of as many as 250 medium-ra &nbs [#permalink] 30 Nov 2018, 13:40

The airline's proposed purchases of as many as 250 medium-ra

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap