GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 21:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The Christmas holiday brought a brief respite to opposing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: La Martiniere for Boys
The Christmas holiday brought a brief respite to opposing  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2009, 02:24
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Christmas holiday brought a brief respite to opposing armies during World War I in that an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914.

A.armies during World War I in that an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914

B.armies during World War I, spreading an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914

C.armies during World War I when they spread an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914

D.armies during World War I, for an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914

E.armies during World War I by the spread of an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914

--== Message from GMAT Club Team ==--

This is not a quality discussion. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.

Thanks
rampuria

Manager
Manager
Re: SC - armies  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2009, 03:04
IMO E

The Christmas holiday brought a brief respite to opposing armies during World War I in that an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914.

A.armies during World War I in that an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914 -->ceasefire can not spread (active), it is spread (passive) by an army force.

B.armies during World War I, spreading an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914 --> Christmas holiday can't spread the ceasefire

C.armies during World War I when they spread an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914 -->they wrongly refers to the opposing armies. The opposing armies did not spread the ceasefire but their opponent did

D.armies during World War I, for an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914 -->ceasefire causes the respite, not respite was done for the ceasefire

E.armies during World War I by the spread of an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914 --> I think this has least errors, in addition to its most precise meaning. Althought ceasefire along the Western ... can cause misunderstood modifier, the idiom: spread ... along, however, still keeps the whole correctness
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2009, 04:59
agree with E.

Same explanations.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2009, 05:16
I can't understand why its not D.

E incorrectly says that The Christmas Holiday led to the spread of an unofficial ceasefire. Whereas, The Christmas Holiday refers only to a time period.

E.armies during World War I by the spread of an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2009, 10:21
bigtreezl wrote:
B for me

B is wrong..
Ask question ? who is spreading ceasefire?
Hereit means
"Respite" is causing "ceasefire" --> It doesn't make sense.

Ceasefire is causing the respite

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2009, 10:25
x2suresh wrote:
bigtreezl wrote:
B for me

B is wrong..
Hereit means

In B, the christmas holiday is spreading a ceasefire. In option E, the christmas holiday is also spreading a ceasefire but it is more wordy than option B. IMO, the christmas holiday can spread cheer, gleefulness and a ceasefire by causing a respite
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2009, 10:36
bigtreezl wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
bigtreezl wrote:
B for me

B is wrong..
Hereit means

In B, the christmas holiday is spreading a ceasefire. In option E, the christmas holiday is also spreading a ceasefire but it is more wordy than option B. IMO, the christmas holiday can spread cheer, gleefulness and a ceasefire by casuing a respite

IMO,

CH cann't spread cheer or ceasefire
CH can bring cheer or ceasefire

It shouldn't be active

Here CH is bringing respite, by spread of unofficial ceasfire.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2009, 10:48
x2suresh, i see your point thanks for the explanation..
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2009, 11:55
x2suresh wrote:
bigtreezl wrote:
B for me

B is wrong..
Hereit means

Initially I too went for B, but thanks for the explanation x2suresh. +1 for ya.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 May 2009, 19:58

A.armies during World War I in that an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914

B.armies during World War I, spreading an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914

C.armies during World War I when they spread an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914

D.armies during World War I, for an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914

hmm tough question.

I would have gone with C. No B.

B it is. The subject is The Christmas holiday - the verb action has to match this through the statement.

I just looked at the explanations above. Good argument for E. I still think it's B.

Which is more right?

(B)The Christmas holiday brought a brief respite spreading an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914.

(E)The Christmas holiday brought a brief respite by the spread of an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914.

B.

Wait I just went through it again. Suresh is has a fair point on "by" but shouldit not be through the spread?

OA pls....

OA pls?

-talent is the desire to practice-

Originally posted by nightwing79 on 13 May 2009, 19:51.
Last edited by nightwing79 on 13 May 2009, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2009, 19:55
OA plz, I'm not 100% convinced on E
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2009, 08:44
me either. I went for B. I hope we're right, but then again, suresh is usually never wrong :P

bigtreezl wrote:
OA plz, I'm not 100% convinced on E
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2009, 21:17
rampuria, pls give OA, this is a tricky question
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2009, 14:46
B , imo

to me E seems to mean that christmas holiday physically spread the unofficial ceasefire (because of the use of "by")
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2009, 20:50
dude! post the OA! :-D
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2009, 21:35
IMO E....In B, spreading an unofficial ceasefire seem to modify World War1...Also Christmas holiday cannot spread.......Christms holiday can cause something by something.....As In E

Choose Life

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2009, 07:46
dood post that OA! :?
Manager
Manager
Schools: La Martiniere for Boys

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2009, 01:48
OA is D

Source: Gmatclub tests

Thanks
rampuria

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2009, 06:29
rampuria wrote:
OA is D

Source: Gmatclub tests

IMO, this answer is insane.. :twisted: unless some one proves this option is sane.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2009, 07:01
E.armies during World War I by the spread of an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914 --> this could wrongly mean the holiday spread an unofficial ceasefire to bring a brief respite to the opposing armies. I could recognize this stupid error in other choices but I got trapped by such an error in this choice. How silly I am !!!

D.armies during World War I, for an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914 --> for standing here means because, bringing the correct meaning for the sentence. But in that of A also has the same meaning, why A is incorrect ??
Re: SC - armies &nbs [#permalink] 19 May 2009, 07:01

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

The Christmas holiday brought a brief respite to opposing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap