GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 14:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The circular base of a planter sits on a level lawn, and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Posts: 42
The circular base of a planter sits on a level lawn, and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2011, 02:02
1
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

79% (01:41) correct 21% (01:30) wrong based on 132 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Image
The circular base of a planter sits on a level lawn, and just touches two straight garden walls at points W and Y. The walls come together at point X, which is 15 inches from the center of the planter. What is the area of the base of the planter?

(1) Both points Y and W are 9 inches from the center of the planter

(2) Point W is 12 inches from point X

Spoiler: :: my take
Went for A. Having a radius of 9 allows to calculate the size. Wrong answer though


Attachment:
garden.jpg
garden.jpg [ 26.78 KiB | Viewed 3070 times ]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Mar 2010
Posts: 348
Schools: Simon '16 (M$)
Re: The circular base of a planter sits on a level lawn, and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2011, 02:52
1
D.
Stmt2 is sufficient too. Draw a line from X to center of circle O. Length is 15.
Also join center of circle to point W. triangle XOW forms right angel triangle with one base 12 and hypotenuse 15. We can find OW (the radius). hence we can find the area.

Also, please include OA under spoilers.

Thanks.
_________________
My dad once said to me: Son, nothing succeeds like success.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2011
Posts: 42
Re: The circular base of a planter sits on a level lawn, and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2011, 02:56
jamifahad wrote:
D.
Stmt2 is sufficient too. Draw a line from X to center of circle O. Length is 15.
Also join center of circle to point W. triangle XOW forms right angel triangle with one base 12 and hypotenuse 15. We can find OW (the radius). hence we can find the area.

Also, please include OA under spoilers.

Thanks.


The Kaplan Practice Set doesn't give any correct answers. It only marks yours as right or wrong

Thanks for your explanation
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 58434
Re: The circular base of a planter sits on a level lawn, and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2015, 08:27
Berbatov wrote:
Image
The circular base of a planter sits on a level lawn, and just touches two straight garden walls at points W and Y. The walls come together at point X, which is 15 inches from the center of the planter. What is the area of the base of the planter?

(1) Both points Y and W are 9 inches from the center of the planter

(2) Point W is 12 inches from point X

Spoiler: :: my take
Went for A. Having a radius of 9 allows to calculate the size. Wrong answer though


Attachment:
garden.jpg


Similar question to practice: the-circular-base-of-an-above-ground-swimming-pool-lies-in-a-167645.html
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2011
Posts: 36
Re: The circular base of a planter sits on a level lawn, and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 00:12
Dear Friends

Please help me understand what does 'area of the base of the planter' mean ?
Which area is it exactly asking to calculate
Math Expert
avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7991
Re: The circular base of a planter sits on a level lawn, and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 02:32
1
seemachandran wrote:
Dear Friends

Please help me understand what does 'area of the base of the planter' mean ?
Which area is it exactly asking to calculate



Hi Seema,
here the planter has a circular base, the base shown by the circle..

so basically you are being asked to find the Area of circle shown
_________________
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 13316
Re: The circular base of a planter sits on a level lawn, and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2018, 22:28
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The circular base of a planter sits on a level lawn, and   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2018, 22:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The circular base of a planter sits on a level lawn, and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne