Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [122]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [26]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [22]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.83
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4074 [4]
Given Kudos: 18
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: The development of a new jumbo rocket that is expected to carry the Un [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Issue with comparison. In all choices except D "the development of J R" is compared with "S S".

A valid comparison can only be "the dev of J R" and "the dev of S S"
OR
"J R" and "S S".

D maintains this 'implicitly' by saying "than the space shuttle can" which translates to "than the [space shuttle's development] can" :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6508 [2]
Given Kudos: 100
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Re: The development of a new jumbo rocket that is expected to carry the Un [#permalink]
Kudos
Economist:
Your explanations really make sense thanks :)

(A) The development of a new jumbo rocket that is expected to carry the United States into its next phase of space exploration will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit than the space shuttle and at a lower cost.

A newly developed jumbo rocket, which is expected to carry the United States into its next phase of space exploration, will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit than the space shuttle can, and at a lower cost.

So you are saying the "CAN" makes all the difference??
Wow is this a rule of "can" or something?Links??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
with regards to the comma, its listing of items and comma is optional

Compared to a space craft, newly developed jumbo rocket will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit, and at a lower cost.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [4]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Kudos
This GMAT question inspired this question: the-recent-discovery-of-a-red-oak-tree-sap-that-is-116992-20.html#p1627973

It has very similar problems.

The development of a new jumbo rocket that is expected to carry the United States into its next phase of space exploration will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit than the space shuttle and at a lower cost.

(A) The development of a new jumbo rocket that is expected to carry the United States into its next phase of space exploration will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit than the space shuttle and at a lower cost.
It's not the development of a new jumbo rocket that will carry the US into the next phace. This is illogical. It's the rocket itself!

(B) The development of a new jumbo rocket is expected to carry the United States into its next phase of space exploration and be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit at a lower cost than the space shuttle.
It's not the development of a new jumbo rocket that will carry the US into the next phace. This is illogical. It's the rocket itself!

(C) The new development of a jumbo rocket, which is expected to carry the United States into its next phase of space exploration, will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit at a lower cost than the space shuttle.

(D) A newly developed jumbo rocket, which is expected to carry the United States into its next phase of space exploration, will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit than the space shuttle can, and at a lower cost.
This is correct. The jumbo rocket is the noun being modified. The second split, "at a lower cost" sounds much better than E.

(E) A newly developed jumbo rocket, which is expected to carry the United States into its next phase of space exploration, will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit than the space shuttle and to cost less.
While the first split is correct, the second sounds awkward because it is not parallel. To make it parallel, there would need to be a phrase after "to cost less" or "into orbit than the space shuttle" would need to be removed. Even then, the approach in E sounds better.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks
tejal777 wrote:
The development of a new jumbo rocket that is expected to carry the United States into its next phase of space exploration will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit than the space shuttle and at a lower cost.

(B) The development of a new jumbo rocket is expected to carry the United States into its next phase of space exploration and be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit at a lower cost than the space shuttle.

(C) The new development of a jumbo rocket, which is expected to carry the United States into its next phase of space exploration, will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit at a lower cost than the space shuttle.

(D) A newly developed jumbo rocket, which is expected to carry the United States into its next phase of space exploration, will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit than the space shuttle can, and at a lower cost.

(E) A newly developed jumbo rocket, which is expected to carry the United States into its next phase of space exploration, will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit than the space shuttle and to cost less.

In OA- D, isn't the comma that precedes 'and' incorrect? (,and should separate two independent clauses)
I was about to reject option D but then the parallelism in option E is bad- A newly developed jumbo rocket will be able to cost less(the second part) and the comparison also has issues( than the space shuttle ; usage of can makes it better in option D ) and thus I chose option D.
(I understand that GMAT does not test punctuations )

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , EducationAisle , other experts - please enlighten
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5135 [9]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
In OA- D, isn't the comma that precedes 'and' incorrect? (,and should separate two independent clauses)
I was about to reject option D but then the parallelism in option E is bad- A newly developed jumbo rocket will be able to cost less(the second part) and the comparison also has issues( than the space shuttle ; usage of can makes it better in option D ) and thus I chose option D.
(I understand that GMAT does not test punctuations )

Here's (D).

Comma use is somewhat optional, and it tends to be the case that writers can at their discretion add commas to indicate pauses and emphasize portions of sentences. So, if the use of "and" without a comma is correct, adding a comma before "and' to indicate a pause probably won't make a sentence incorrect. For instance, both of the following are correct.

My dog likes running around and does so all day long.

My dog likes running around, and does so all day long.

The comma in the second version serves to separate the two thoughts a bit. If the writer of the sentence wants to separate the thoughts a bit, the writer can use a comma after "around." If the writer wants the sentence to read more continuously, the writer can write the sentence without a comma.

So, the comma before "and" in (D) simply indicates a pause. So, the presence of that comma is not a flaw in (D).

That said, (D) is not particulary well written. The structure of the wording that expresses the comparison involving the "heavier load" is quite awkward, and the parallel structure "will be able to deliver a heavier load ... and at a lower cost" is not fully logical.

So, to correctly answer this Sentence Correction question, we have to choose a choice that's clearly better than the others but certainly not perfect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The core sentence after ignoring the inessential modifier is a compound sentence that is connected by the coordinate conjunction ‘and’. Apparently, it looks as if the second part is simply a prepositional phrase, but actually, the intended sentence has an element of ellipsis, that is implicit

Will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit than the space shuttle can, and (will be able to deliver) at a lower cost.

It makes complete structural sense now and is parallel too logically. The ellipsis is not stated to avoid repetition In addition, the comparison between the two deliveries is matched with the use of the verb ‘can’

The ellipsis doe not work well in E

will be able to deliver a heavier load of instruments into orbit than the space shuttle and (will be able to deliver) to cost less. One can see the ellipsis does not make much sense. Secondly, the verb ‘can’ is missing and thus it becomes an illegitimate comparison between the rocket’s delivery and the shuttle.

All this is my gut feeling; even without the ellipsis, still D can be decided simply by virtue of parallel comparison of actions and E will simply fall by the way side

daagh

The meaning of D seems to suggest that "the rocket will carry US into next phase of exploration". IMO, it should be written as if the "development of the rocket will carry US into next phase of exploration". Please guide.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
azhr
What can deliver a heavier load? is it the development or the carrier?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
daagh wrote:
azhr
What can deliver a heavier load? is it the development or the carrier?

Yes, i agree with you on that. And since it is essence of the sentence, i used the same logic to arrive at the correct answer.

In order to maximize my learning from the question, I just want to make sure if the concern i have is genuine or not.

Maybe i am missing something.

Thanks,
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
azhr
Can I say what you are missing?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
daagh wrote:
azhr
Can I say what you are missing?

I have deep respect for your explanations. They are super crisp and to the point. Yes, please.

I do understand that only the carrier can carry heavier load.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Send PM
Kudos