GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2019, 04:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The fact that superior service can generate a competitive advantage fo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive advantage fo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2019, 03:03
bawatwr wrote:
In question no. 6 the OA says - emphasize the relatively low value of the investment in service improvement. As passage no where quantify the amount of the investment that is done by banks. So the wording relatively low value of the investment makes little sense, it would be good if it would have stated as low value of return from investment,that makes more sense. Moreover no options in this question suffice for answer other than this, but it it also flawed. So what we are guessing we should mark best of the worst ??
Hi bawatwr,

As mentioned in this post, we're not really looking to quantify the investment. Value is used here more in a "how useful was it?" sense. In other words, this is another way of saying that the investment in service improvement was not very ~"useful".
B
Concentration: Technology, Sustainability
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive advantage fo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2019, 11:31
joshnsit wrote:
For Q 3, first of all tell what is the answer, and then explain where in passage specifically should I go to search out the answer?
For Q 4, please explain why not B?

For Q3,

Nor did they analyze their service improvement to determine whether it would attract new customers by producing a new standard of service that would excite customers or by proving difficult for competitors to copy.
B
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 12:07
Hi GMATNinja

In question 4,

the bank did NOT determine whether it would attract new customers either 1) by producing a new standard of service that would excite customers or 2) by proving difficult for competitors to copy.

I seriously dont understand what this statement is trying to convey. By proving is parallel to by producing and hence, what I am inferring here is that, bank failed to determine whether it would attract new customers --> by producing new standard of service. And bank also failed to determine whether it would attract new customers by proving difficult for competitors to copy. Bank isnt proving difficult. The new standards should be difficult. I couldnt even grasp what the sentence is trying to convey and ended up eliminating all 5 options. Scary. Is that bad parallelism here? Or am I supposed to infer such meanings in RC?

Further, If bank failed to considered whether new standards will bring more customers by having standards difficult to copy, what i infer here is that bank failed to consider whether it will have new customers or not. Not the failure of considering how difficult it is for others to copy. WE really dont care how difficult it is for other banks to copy those standards. And we have no reason to believe that even in the case of no difficult, whether banks will invest some amount to keep up. Its a leap of faith.

I am an avid reader and yet, I got stuck in here without any direction. PLease help.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 09:02
darshak1 wrote:
Hi [url=https://gmatclub.com:443/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un=GMATNinja]GMATNinja

In question 4,

the bank did NOT determine whether it would attract new customers either 1) by producing a new standard of service that would excite customers or 2) by proving difficult for competitors to copy.

I seriously dont understand what this statement is trying to convey. By proving is parallel to by producing and hence, what I am inferring here is that, bank failed to determine whether it would attract new customers --> by producing new standard of service. And bank also failed to determine whether it would attract new customers by proving difficult for competitors to copy. Bank isnt proving difficult. The new standards should be difficult. I couldnt even grasp what the sentence is trying to convey and ended up eliminating all 5 options. Scary. Is that bad parallelism here? Or am I supposed to infer such meanings in RC?

Further, If bank failed to considered whether new standards will bring more customers by having standards difficult to copy, what i infer here is that bank failed to consider whether it will have new customers or not. Not the failure of considering how difficult it is for others to copy. WE really dont care how difficult it is for other banks to copy those standards. And we have no reason to believe that even in the case of no difficult, whether banks will invest some amount to keep up. Its a leap of faith.

I am an avid reader and yet, I got stuck in here without any direction. PLease help.

Take another look at the full sentence:
Quote:
Nor did [the bank managers] analyze their service improvement to determine whether it would attract new customers by producing a new standard of service that would excite customers or by proving difficult for competitors to copy.

Here, "it" refers to "service improvement," NOT to banks or bank managers (you can tell because "it" needs to refer back to something singular, and "service improvement" is the only singular noun available).

With that understanding, here is how the parallelism shakes out:

Bank managers failed to analyze whether their service improvement would attract new customers by:
  • producing a new standard of service that would excite customers; OR by
  • proving difficult for competitors to copy.

The second parallel piece does require a small inference to understand: the service improvement could attract new customers IF it proved difficult for competitors to copy, because it would give the bank an advantage over its competitors.

However, the question makes our life easy. We do not need to figure out WHY a certain piece of information is important. We simply need to determine which answer choice is something that bank managers failed to consider when implementing the service improvement.

(D) is the only answer choice that does this. Can you think of a different answer choice (such as "whether [the bank] will have new customers," as you suggested)? Sure. But that is not one of the options in front of us, so it cannot be the correct answer. The managers failed to consider whether the service improvement "was an innovation that competing banks could have imitated," so (D) is the correct answer to question #4.

I hope that helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The fact that superior service can generate a competitive advantage fo   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2019, 09:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 44 posts ] 

The fact that superior service can generate a competitive advantage fo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics