Last visit was: 17 Jul 2024, 07:14 It is currently 17 Jul 2024, 07:14
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 Jan 2019
Posts: 14
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [52]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Posts: 4918
Own Kudos [?]: 7803 [12]
Given Kudos: 220
Location: India
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Joined: 16 May 2019
Posts: 3507
Own Kudos [?]: 6979 [7]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
LBS Moderator
Joined: 30 Oct 2019
Posts: 830
Own Kudos [?]: 789 [2]
Given Kudos: 1576
Send PM
Re: The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexande [#permalink]
2
Bookmarks
Between C and E, not sure which one is the better option.
I am leaning towards C

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Joined: 28 Aug 2019
Posts: 152
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [1]
Given Kudos: 405
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Business Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexande [#permalink]
1
Bookmarks
Oh hey,
Looked up on the internet..
between C and E. E is correct bc "them" in C doesnt have proper antecedent.
But I think its pretty clear to what "them" is referring to in terms of meaning. I dont see C is incorrect.

Also, its from manhattan review and not MGMAT. Please modify the tag
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 Jan 2019
Posts: 14
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexande [#permalink]
KeyurJoshi wrote:
Oh hey,
Looked up on the internet..
between C and E. E is correct bc "them" in C doesnt have proper antecedent.
But I think its pretty clear to what "them" is referring to in terms of meaning. I dont see C is incorrect.

Also, its from manhattan review and not MGMAT. Please modify the tag


It is also in Manhattan Review SC guide 4th Edition
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 Jan 2019
Posts: 14
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexande [#permalink]
AnirudhaS wrote:
Between C and E, not sure which one is the better option.
I am leaning towards C

Posted from my mobile device


The official answer is E . Manhattan review says the answer is E because of "Pronoun Agreement & Reference"
Intern
Intern
Joined: 05 Feb 2020
Posts: 47
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexande [#permalink]
Experts kindly explain the answer choices. I marked A because them refers to alexander and james.
I eliminated E because John jay phrase is non essential in this sentence.

Kindly explain.
Director
Director
Joined: 05 Jul 2020
Posts: 584
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexande [#permalink]
1
Kudos
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexander Hamilton and James Madison, as well as a few by John Jay, since each of them were advocates of the Constitution.

(A) since each of them were Plural verb "were" is not to be used with "each". Eliminate.

(B) since they were each "they were each" is incorrect. The correct usage is "each of them was". Eliminate.

(C) since all of them were Antecedent of "them" may be considered to be ambiguous. We can hold on to this for now.

(D) each of which was "which" cannot refer to persons. Eliminate.

(E) because all of the men were Correct answer.

Since we have an answer option with no ambiguous antecedent and no other errors, we can go ahead and eliminate option (C).



Hope this helps.


CrackVerbalGMAT, in option C - what could the possible antecedents of them be? I don't think it'd make a lot of sense to say that the articles were the advocates. I get that E is probably clearer, but it's hard to say that option C is wrong.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 Jun 2021
Posts: 4
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Re: The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexande [#permalink]
1
Kudos
I don’t think there’s an issue with C. What could possibly be the antecedent of them?

Posted from my mobile device
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Joined: 25 Oct 2020
Posts: 1124
Own Kudos [?]: 1090 [4]
Given Kudos: 629
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Re: The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexande [#permalink]
4
Kudos
ayushx wrote:
The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexander Hamilton and James Madison, as well as a few by John Jay, since each of them were advocates of the Constitution.

(A) since each of them were
(B) since they were each
(C) since all of them were
(D) each of which was
(E) because all of the men were


AjiteshArun BillyZ AndrewN

Sir,

There is a huge uproar on this question between the two answer choices C and E.
I also chose E but I find it hard to eliminate C. I get the pronoun ambiguity issue, but I do not think that it'd make a lot of sense to say that the articles were the advocates (as Brian suggests above).

Also, the usage of "Because" signifies "cause-and-effect". As per the meaning of the sentence. Won't it make more sense if we were to use "since" rather than "because"? Usage of because makes it seems like, they wrote the compilations because they were advocates. "Since" seems more precise. They wrote the compilations since they were advocates.

Could you share your two cents?

Thank you in advance.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 22 Jun 2020
Posts: 154
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [2]
Given Kudos: 120
Location: Georgia
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexande [#permalink]
2
Kudos
PyjamaScientist wrote:
ayushx wrote:
The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexander Hamilton and James Madison, as well as a few by John Jay, since each of them were advocates of the Constitution.

(A) since each of them were
(B) since they were each
(C) since all of them were
(D) each of which was
(E) because all of the men were


AjiteshArun BillyZ AndrewN

Sir,

There is a huge uproar on this question between the two answer choices C and E.
I also chose E but I find it hard to eliminate C. I get the pronoun ambiguity issue, but I do not think that it'd make a lot of sense to say that the articles were the advocates (as Brian suggests above).

Also, the usage of "Because" signifies "cause-and-effect". As per the meaning of the sentence. Won't it make more sense if we were to use "since" rather than "because"? Usage of because makes it seems like, they wrote the compilations because they were advocates. "Since" seems more precise. They wrote the compilations since they were advocates.

Could you share your two cents?

Thank you in advance.


Can not agree more. "because" seems like a cause and effect relationship, which is definitely not necessary here. "Since" seems to be a smoother version. I strongly believe that the word "them" can not be ambiguous, since the articles can not be the advocates.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 12 Apr 2018
Posts: 159
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexande [#permalink]
RonTargetTestPrep can you please comment on this problem to decode the issue. It's very confusing about how to start solving problem of this kind.
Director
Director
Joined: 01 Mar 2015
Posts: 533
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 762
Location: India
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Re: The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexande [#permalink]
This question should be removed. The sentence doesn't make sense with any of the answer choices.
At the very least, the tags should be corrected. This can't be a ManhattanPrep question.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Joined: 19 May 2021
Posts: 1
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexande [#permalink]
Hi,
Doesn't Option E change the meaning implying that 'all of the men' were advocates... not the ones mentioned in the question??
and doesn't option C remove this error as 'them' is clear because papers cant be advocates..
Kindly help.
Thanks in advanced.
Experts' Global Representative
Joined: 10 Jul 2017
Posts: 5128
Own Kudos [?]: 4693 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Location: India
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexande [#permalink]
Expert Reply
yatharthdubey31 wrote:
Hi,
Doesn't Option E change the meaning implying that 'all of the men' were advocates... not the ones mentioned in the question??
and doesn't option C remove this error as 'them' is clear because papers cant be advocates..
Kindly help.
Thanks in advanced.


Hello yatharthdubey31,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, no; the use of the phrase "all men" does not imply that the sentence refers to all men, everywhere; we can reasonably assume that a pronoun phrase such as "all men" refers to those "men" that are referenced in the sentence.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Director
Director
Joined: 20 Apr 2022
Posts: 568
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [0]
Given Kudos: 328
Location: India
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexande [#permalink]
ExpertsGlobal5 GMATNinja CrackverbalGMAT please break down B and clearly explain why it’s wrong and what issues is there in they can them

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
Joined: 10 Jul 2017
Posts: 5128
Own Kudos [?]: 4693 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Location: India
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexande [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Elite097 wrote:
ExpertsGlobal5 GMATNinja CrackverbalGMAT please break down B and clearly explain why it’s wrong and what issues is there in they can them

Posted from my mobile device


Hello Elite097,

We hope this finds you well.

We would actually advise you to skip this question; none of the answer choices can be considered correct, as all of them illogically imply that the Federalist Papers is a compilation of articles written by three men because the three men were advocates of the Constitution.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Joined: 24 Aug 2022
Posts: 8
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Location: India
Send PM
Re: The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexande [#permalink]
E is correct
“Them” in C may refer to the papers and not the authors…improper antecedent.
To put it simply.
E makes it clear that “the men” were advocates of the constitution.

Posted from my mobile device
User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 16 Oct 2022
Posts: 1
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexande [#permalink]
ayushx wrote:
The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexander Hamilton and James Madison, as well as a few by John Jay, since each of them were advocates of the Constitution.

(A) since each of them were
(B) since they were each
(C) since all of them were
(D) each of which was
(E) because all of the men were


I think option a, b , c ,d are ambiguous as to what they are referring to when they say each of them, they were each, all of them, each of which. Because there are papers, articles and people in the sentence, so we can't be really sure about what the options are referring to. Whereas option E clearly says all of the men were. Hence, it's the answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexande [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6984 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts