GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Sep 2018, 10:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular cros

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Posts: 415
The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular cros  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Jul 2014, 02:23
2
20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (00:53) correct 44% (00:38) wrong based on 410 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Image
The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular cross section of a one-way tunnel. The single traffic lane is 12 feet wide and is equidistant from the sides of the tunnel. If vehicles must clear the top of the tunnel by at least 1/2 foot when they are inside the traffic lane, what should be the limit on the height of vehicles that are allowed to use the tunnel?

A. 5½ ft
B. 7½ ft
C. 8 ½ ft
D. 9½ ft
E. 10 ft

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: the-figure-above-shows-the-dimensions-of-a-semicircular-100337.html

Originally posted by Nihit on 04 Sep 2008, 07:33.
Last edited by Bunuel on 23 Jul 2014, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question, added the OA and moved to PS forum.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1707
Location: New York
Re: The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular cros  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2008, 07:49
7
3
Nihit wrote:
Attachment:
IMAGE.JPG


The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular cross section of a one-way tunnel(dia= 20 ft). The single traffic lane is 12 feet wide and is equidistant from the sides of the tunnel. If vehicles must clear the top of the tunnel by at least ½ foot when they are inside the traffic lane, what should be the limit on the height of vehicles that are allowed to use the tunnel?

A. 5½ ft
B. 7½ ft
C. 8 ½ ft
D. 9½ ft
E. 10 ft



radius =10
Say AOB is base of the semi circle.
points X and Y are on edges of the traffic lane (XY=12)
OX=6

Find the height perpendicular to X and touches the semi circle.
= sqrt (6^2+10^2) =8

we need 1/2 ft clearance.

so height must be (8-1/2) =71/2 ft


B.
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2008
Posts: 279
Schools: INSEAD Dec'10
Re: The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular cros  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2008, 07:53
B should be the answer. Suresh beat me to it, though ;;)
_________________

http://applicant.wordpress.com/

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 112
Re: The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular cros  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 04:46
2
x2suresh wrote:
Nihit wrote:
Attachment:
IMAGE.JPG


The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular cross section of a one-way tunnel(dia= 20 ft). The single traffic lane is 12 feet wide and is equidistant from the sides of the tunnel. If vehicles must clear the top of the tunnel by at least ½ foot when they are inside the traffic lane, what should be the limit on the height of vehicles that are allowed to use the tunnel?

A. 5½ ft
B. 7½ ft
C. 8 ½ ft
D. 9½ ft
E. 10 ft



radius =10
Say AOB is base of the semi circle.
points X and Y are on edges of the traffic lane (XY=12)
OX=6

Find the height perpendicular to X and touches the semi circle.
= sqrt (6^2+10^2) =8

we need 1/2 ft clearance.

so height must be (8-1/2) =71/2 ft


B.


Minor correction:
The height perpendiculr to X and touches the semi circle
=sqrt (10^2 - 6^2) = 8
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1707
Location: New York
Re: The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular cros  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2008, 06:02
dancinggeometry wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
Nihit wrote:
Attachment:
IMAGE.JPG


The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular cross section of a one-way tunnel(dia= 20 ft). The single traffic lane is 12 feet wide and is equidistant from the sides of the tunnel. If vehicles must clear the top of the tunnel by at least ½ foot when they are inside the traffic lane, what should be the limit on the height of vehicles that are allowed to use the tunnel?

A. 5½ ft
B. 7½ ft
C. 8 ½ ft
D. 9½ ft
E. 10 ft



radius =10
Say AOB is base of the semi circle.
points X and Y are on edges of the traffic lane (XY=12)
OX=6

Find the height perpendicular to X and touches the semi circle.
= sqrt (6^2+10^2) =8

we need 1/2 ft clearance.

so height must be (8-1/2) =71/2 ft


B.


Minor correction:
The height perpendiculr to X and touches the semi circle
=sqrt (10^2 - 6^2) = 8


your are right. thanks
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2007
Posts: 70
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: Thunderbird '15
Re: The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular cros  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2011, 03:07
4
Why are we considering only the line perperndicular to X? Why not another line can be 3 feet away from both sides of the traffic lane?

What am I doing wrong?

Refer attached diagram
Attachments

tunnel.JPG
tunnel.JPG [ 14.54 KiB | Viewed 36699 times ]

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2013
Posts: 84
Premium Member
Re: The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular cros  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 02:18
because the limiting case is case 1 as shown in the diagram ...
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49496
Re: The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular cros  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 02:24
19
8
Nihit wrote:
Image
The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular cross section of a one-way tunnel. The single traffic lane is 12 feet wide and is equidistant from the sides of the tunnel. If vehicles must clear the top of the tunnel by at least 1/2 foot when they are inside the traffic lane, what should be the limit on the height of vehicles that are allowed to use the tunnel?

A. 5½ ft
B. 7½ ft
C. 8 ½ ft
D. 9½ ft
E. 10 ft


See the diagram attached:
Image
Rectangle inscribed has the length of traffic lane 12. So max height of vehicle will be 1/2 foot less than the width of this rectangle.

Now, let O be the center of the semi-circle, then OA=radius=20/2=10 and OB=12/2=6 --> \(AB=\sqrt{OA^2-OB^2}=\sqrt{10^2-6^2}=8\).

So max height of the vehicle that are allowed to use the tunnel is 8-0.5=7.5.

Answer: B.

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: the-figure-above-shows-the-dimensions-of-a-semicircular-100337.html
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 8179
Premium Member
Re: The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular cros  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 04:53
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular cros &nbs [#permalink] 10 Jul 2018, 04:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular cros

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.