It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 20:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The first study of magpie attacks in Australia indicates

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 141 [1], given: 1

Schools: Anderson FEMBA
The first study of magpie attacks in Australia indicates [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2009, 22:44
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:40) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 3 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The first study of magpie attacks in Australia indicates that by the time they had reached adulthood, 98 percent of men and 75 percent of women born in the country have been attacked by the birds.
A - Default
B - by the time they reach adulthood, 98 percent of men and 75 percent of women, who were born in the country, had been attacked by the birds.
C - by the time they reached adulthood, 98 percent of men and 75 percent of women born in the country had been attacked by the birds.
D - 98 percent of men and 75 percent of women that were born in the country were attacked by the birds by the time they reached adulthood.
E - 98 percent of men and 75 percent of women who were born in the country, by the time they reached adulthood had been attacked by the birds.

Got it down to two choices--can't figure out how to eliminate the last one...

Kudos [?]: 141 [1], given: 1

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 843 [0], given: 19

Re: SC, Magpie Attacks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2009, 22:54
AndersonBound wrote:
The first study of magpie attacks in Australia indicates that by the time they had reached adulthood, 98 percent of men and 75 percent of women born in the country have been attacked by the birds.
A - Default
B - by the time they reach adulthood, 98 percent of men and 75 percent of women, who were born in the country, had been attacked by the birds.
C - by the time they reached adulthood, 98 percent of men and 75 percent of women born in the country had been attacked by the birds.
D - 98 percent of men and 75 percent of women that were born in the country were attacked by the birds by the time they reached adulthood.
E - 98 percent of men and 75 percent of women who were born in the country, by the time they reached adulthood had been attacked by the birds.

A. However they is little wired to me but there no plural before "they". So "they" should refer to "men and women" that follow it.
B/C/E. had been?
D: that for men/women?

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2009, 22:59
E ....use "who" when referring to people

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2009, 23:29
A - Default

Pick C

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 203 [2], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2009, 23:56
This post received
KUDOS
AndersonBound wrote:
A - Default

Here goes my explanation:
-------------------------------
A.) Default ---> Tense mismatch (...they had... & ...have been...)

B.) by the time they reach adulthood, 98 percent of men and 75 percent of women, who were born in the country, had been attacked by the birds. ---> Tense mismatch (...they reach... & ...had been attacked...)

C.) by the time they reached adulthood, 98 percent of men and 75 percent of women born in the country had been attacked by the birds. ---> This sentence correctly uses the past perfect tense 'had'. Also, there is no tense mismatch (...reached adulthood... & ...had been attacked...).

D.) 98 percent of men and 75 percent of women that were born in the country were attacked by the birds by the time they reached adulthood. ---> 'that' is a wrong usage for 'men & women'

E.) 98 percent of men and 75 percent of women who were born in the country, by the time they reached adulthood had been attacked by the birds. ---> This sentence corrects the error in option D, but this is an awkward construction (...they reached adulthood had been...).
-------------------------------

This is a good question. Generally antecedent precedes the pronoun but sometimes it comes after as in this case.

Ex.
My father read his email first. He just couldn't wait.
Although he is a famous action hero, Sam likes watching comedy movies.

In this question, it is clear that the antecedent refers to men & women.

My choice is option C.

Also, +1 for this question AndersonBound.

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

Kudos [?]: 203 [2], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2009, 00:19
^^^Great explanation / insight to your answer. ^^^^
+1

:wink:

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2009, 00:27
Technext had a great answer but I'd like to get a few more replies with different points of view and different reasonings.

I had a hard time with this one and want to get a really good grasp of the concept being tested so that I get it locked down.

More discussion / more thoughts...then the OA. :P

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1062 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2009, 11:58
AndersonBound wrote:
A - Default

A. tense mismatch : "had reached" vs "have been attacked"
B & E --> looks like "who" refers to only women..
B tense mistmatch: "reach" vs "had been attacked"

generally Who refers to people. That and which refer to groups or things.

D --> "that" is not appopriate here

C is the best..

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Kudos [?]: 1062 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2009, 12:32
I too think C is the right answer.

will be waiting for the OA.

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 13

Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2009, 14:01
Hi mates,

this is a very tough one!

I'd go with C (thanks to the mates' explanations :oops: )

OA and Source?

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
http://gmatclub.com/forum/johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2009, 14:25
Thanks Everyone.

OA: C
Source: GMAT Prep 2

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2009, 20:21
GMAT TIGER wrote:
AndersonBound wrote:
A - Default

A. However they is little wired to me but there no plural before "they". So "they" should refer to "men and women" that follow it.
B/C/E. had been?
D: that for men/women?

Disaster. :shocked
I realize what I overlooked and agree with C...

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2009, 23:03
X2suresh, good explaination for the E. Usage of who is really ambiguous.

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 4

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 747 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2009, 11:11
A and D can be easily eliminated
i had wrongly chosen E
great explanations,Technext!! thx

http://gmatclub.com/forum/math-polygons-87336.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Kudos [?]: 747 [0], given: 17

Re: SC, Magpie Attacks   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2009, 11:11

The first study of magpie attacks in Australia indicates

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap