GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 16:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
272829303112
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272812
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

     February 23, 2019

     February 23, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     February 24, 2019

     February 24, 2019

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

The following are the ages of 20 children with first name initials

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Manager
Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Posts: 190
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests
The following are the ages of 20 children with first name initials  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 09:58
1
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (02:37) correct 56% (02:39) wrong based on 27 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The following are the ages of 20 children with first name initials from A to T, respectively, in a privately owned school: 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 3, 8, 5, 8, 6, 4, 3, 8, 9, 8, 4, 9, 2, 9, and 8. If a group consisting of 2 children is to be formed, what is the probability that a group will be selected that contains a child whose age is the average (arithmetic mean) age of the group of 20 children?

A) 12.5 percent
B) 10 percent
C) 7.5 percent
D) 5 percent
E) 2.5 percent

_________________

Why do we fall?...So we can learn to pick ourselves up again



If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7334
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The following are the ages of 20 children with first name initials  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 17:41
1
Abhi077 wrote:
The following are the ages of 20 children with first name initials from A to T, respectively, in a privately owned school: 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 3, 8, 5, 8, 6, 4, 3, 8, 9, 8, 4, 9, 2, 9, and 8. If a group consisting of 2 children is to be formed, what is the probability that a group will be selected that contains a child whose age is the average (arithmetic mean) age of the group of 20 children?

A) 12.5 percent
B) 10 percent
C) 7.5 percent
D) 5 percent
E) 2.5 percent



So the first thing is to find the average age and that can lead to missing out on some number as there are 20 integers..
So let's find number of each digit..
2 - 2 times
3- 3 times
4- 3 times
5- 1 times
6- 1 times
8- 6 times
9- 4 times
Total numbers - 2+3+3+1+1+5+4=20, so ok
Average = \(\frac{2*2+3*3+4*3+5+6+6*8+9*4}{20}=\frac{4+9+12+5+6+48+36}{20}=\frac{120}{20}\)=6
So only one has the average age of 6..
Ways this child will be a part of two choose = 1*19
Ways to choose 2 out of 20 =20C2=190
So probability = 19/190=1/10 or 10%

B
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html
4) Base while finding % increase and % decrease : https://gmatclub.com/forum/percentage-increase-decrease-what-should-be-the-denominator-287528.html


GMAT Expert

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Status: In last prep stage
Joined: 11 Jun 2017
Posts: 153
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.2
Premium Member
Re: The following are the ages of 20 children with first name initials  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 20:26
chetan2u wrote:
Abhi077 wrote:
The following are the ages of 20 children with first name initials from A to T, respectively, in a privately owned school: 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 3, 8, 5, 8, 6, 4, 3, 8, 9, 8, 4, 9, 2, 9, and 8. If a group consisting of 2 children is to be formed, what is the probability that a group will be selected that contains a child whose age is the average (arithmetic mean) age of the group of 20 children?

A) 12.5 percent
B) 10 percent
C) 7.5 percent
D) 5 percent
E) 2.5 percent



So the first thing is to find the average age and that can lead to missing out on some number as there are 20 integers..
So let's find number of each digit..
2 - 2 times
3- 3 times
4- 3 times
5- 1 times
6- 1 times
8- 6 times
9- 4 times
Total numbers - 2+3+3+1+1+5+4=20, so ok
Average = \(\frac{2*2+3*3+4*3+5+6+6*8+9*4}{20}=\frac{4+9+12+5+6+48+36}{20}=\frac{120}{20}\)=6
So only one has the average age of 6..
Ways this child will be a part of two choose = 1*19
Ways to choose 2 out of 20 =20C2=190
So probability = 19/190=1/10 or 10%

B

Can you please elaborate how you got this:Ways this child will be a part of two choose = 1*19
I did the remaining solution just like stated,but failed at this step.
_________________

Thanks,
Ankit
Target Score:730+

If the post was useful,please send the kudos

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 7334
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The following are the ages of 20 children with first name initials  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 20:38
AnkitOrYadav wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Abhi077 wrote:
The following are the ages of 20 children with first name initials from A to T, respectively, in a privately owned school: 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 3, 8, 5, 8, 6, 4, 3, 8, 9, 8, 4, 9, 2, 9, and 8. If a group consisting of 2 children is to be formed, what is the probability that a group will be selected that contains a child whose age is the average (arithmetic mean) age of the group of 20 children?

A) 12.5 percent
B) 10 percent
C) 7.5 percent
D) 5 percent
E) 2.5 percent



So the first thing is to find the average age and that can lead to missing out on some number as there are 20 integers..
So let's find number of each digit..
2 - 2 times
3- 3 times
4- 3 times
5- 1 times
6- 1 times
8- 6 times
9- 4 times
Total numbers - 2+3+3+1+1+5+4=20, so ok
Average = \(\frac{2*2+3*3+4*3+5+6+6*8+9*4}{20}=\frac{4+9+12+5+6+48+36}{20}=\frac{120}{20}\)=6
So only one has the average age of 6..
Ways this child will be a part of two choose = 1*19
Ways to choose 2 out of 20 =20C2=190
So probability = 19/190=1/10 or 10%

B

Can you please elaborate how you got this:Ways this child will be a part of two choose = 1*19
I did the remaining solution just like stated,but failed at this step.


So we have two choose 2 out of 20 but one is already decided..
So first can be only one, whose weight is 6 and the second can be chosen from remaining (20-1)=19
So 1*19
_________________

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html
4) Base while finding % increase and % decrease : https://gmatclub.com/forum/percentage-increase-decrease-what-should-be-the-denominator-287528.html


GMAT Expert

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The following are the ages of 20 children with first name initials   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2018, 20:38
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The following are the ages of 20 children with first name initials

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.