Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS 2012
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: The great Laptop discussion forum [#permalink]
TimeSquareDesi wrote:
The x200s also does not have a built-in CD/DVD drive. This is one of the main differences (aside from weight) between the x200s and the T400.

You're right though, the specs on the T400 in terms of processor and ram could be higher than the x200s and the price could be lower. Again, for the x200s, you are really paying for a portable powerhouse. The x200s is slightly larger than a $500 HP netbook to give you an idea of how small and ultra-portable it is.

I think I'm just going to let my quote expire on the x200 I put together at the end of December. I'm going to take a much closer look at the T series, and maybe some other models. I just don't think I'll be walking far enough distances to really care whether I'm carrying 3 lbs or 6 lbs. Don't think I'll really be looking at anything besides Lenovo, either - just seems like a sure thing for a little more in price.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
You can also go with a T400s, the slim version of T400. It's slightly pricers, but comes in under 4 lb (only ~8 oz heavier than the smaller X-series). The extra screen real-estate, optical drive, and higher processing power, makes it a better choose than the X201/X301.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
I own a loathsome Compaq Presario C700-although I can't pinpoint whether its hatefulness originates in the fact that I have Vista on it, or that the computer itself is awful. Computer-wise, one thing I really disliked throughout the applications process was the quality of the keyboard-low, sticky, non-responsive and promotes typos. However, it's only [strike]a year old[/strike](it was a gift) close to 2 years old and I'm 90% positive that it will meet the base computing requirements for the school. I definitely plan to a) get my brother-in-law to take off Vista and re-install it with XP and b) buy a netbook for daily usage-currently looking at the highly rated Toshiba, will likely purchase over the summer, hopefully the prices will have dropped.

With any luck, this will cut my computer costs in half, allowing me to put the pennies from my couch cushions towards what I really want-a Life Fitness elliptical cross-trainer.

Is this an okay idea or am I just better off sucking it up and buying a T400?
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
muffeebrown wrote:
I own a loathsome Compaq Presario C700-although I can't pinpoint whether its hatefulness originates in the fact that I have Vista on it, or that the computer itself is awful. Computer-wise, one thing I really disliked throughout the applications process was the quality of the keyboard-low, sticky, non-responsive and promotes typos. However, it's only [strike]a year old[/strike](it was a gift) close to 2 years old and I'm 90% positive that it will meet the base computing requirements for the school. I definitely plan to a) get my brother-in-law to take off Vista and re-install it with XP and b) buy a netbook for daily usage-currently looking at the highly rated Toshiba, will likely purchase over the summer, hopefully the prices will have dropped.

With any luck, this will cut my computer costs in half, allowing me to put the pennies from my couch cushions towards what I really want-a Life Fitness elliptical cross-trainer.

Is this an okay idea or am I just better off sucking it up and buying a T400?

Easy decision: Get rid of Compaq

Tough decision: Get cheaper netbook/elliptical or Thinkpad (I'd go with latter since you'll probably have access to sweet gym facilities at school)
Current Student
Send PM
Is the Compaq that unusable? Because I'm having flashbacks to before law school when I spent $2000 on a computer...to use Microsoft Word for 3 years.

Either way, I think I'm going to opt out of a netbook as I realised the screen is likely to be hard on my eyes and I don't like scrolling down a lot.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
muffeebrown wrote:
Is the Compaq that unusable? Because I'm having flashbacks to before law school when I spent $2000 on a computer...to use Microsoft Word for 3 years.

Either way, I think I'm going to opt out of a netbook as I realised the screen is likely to be hard on my eyes and I don't like scrolling down a lot.

I may have misunderstood. I thought you were debating whether to keep the Compaq or get a new netbook. After re-reading, it sounds like you're going to buy something new regardless?

My only suggestion was definitely get something better for everyday b-school use. From your description and a few reviews I just read, I don't think you want the Compaq to be your go-to laptop for 2 more years of constant use.
Current Student
Send PM
True that, PBateman. I've come really close to smashing the Compaq against a wall in frustration but I largely thought that was due to Vista ("sometimes I take 5 minutes to wake up").

I guess I'm just wary of committing money to a new laptop if I'm only going to use Excel and Word, both of which work fine on my current computer. All this hand wringing is due to the fact that I just got the bill for a year at Ross and I had to close my office door and have a restorative lie-down underneath my desk.

The original plan was to keep the Compaq and buy a cheap netbook-but I have a feeling that if I'm going to spend the money I may as well just buy a T400 rather than wasting money on a netbook but having a poor quality laptop at home.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
anyone updating the stats on the front page? I wonder what the admit percentage on GMATClub is...

I think last year was the best year?

Congrats to all the admits! And good luck on the waitlisters.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
And Kryzak got into the wrong bottle of pills again...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
When you're living the baller life at Haas, it doesn't matter which thread you post in :P

I suggest dropping the netbook and Compaq and picking up a T400. Agree that chances are you'll get fantastic gym facilities at the school, so that shouldn't be a problem unless you're heading to a school in the woods (like me).

I want a T400, don't think I can afford it though.

For the guy who wanted to know about the Vostro, so far so good with my Vostro. The only problem is that MSN messenger seems to enjoy freezing up, I think it's a software conflict between skype and messenger, but that aside, everything runs smoothly and the keyboard is pretty nice to use.

edit: I just had dinner with a friend at IBM who said everybody there is holding out for the T410. Something about a different architecture and it being much better than th T400.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V47
Send PM
adcxaway wrote:
edit: I just had dinner with a friend at IBM who said everybody there is holding out for the T410. Something about a different architecture and it being much better than th T400.

that's a great tip-off adcxaway, thanks! I've been following this thread and have already set my sights on Lenovo - but planning to hold out until last minute in the summer to benefit from new models / dropping prices. luckily my current laptop is about 6 years old, and about 6kg heavy with a 17" screen, so relatively easy to justify splashing out for a new machine. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Concentration: Technology
Schools:Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Send PM
Has anyone ever asked their employers if they can "buy" the work laptop from the company? How should I do this (if at all)?

I really like the HP laptop I'm using currently for work.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
vgeri wrote:
adcxaway wrote:

that's a great tip-off adcxaway, thanks! I've been following this thread and have already set my sights on Lenovo - but planning to hold out until last minute in the summer to benefit from new models / dropping prices. luckily my current laptop is about 6 years old, and about 6kg heavy with a 17" screen, so relatively easy to justify splashing out for a new machine. :)

I've thought about waiting until summer too, but then you really run the risk of (a) laptop not shipping in time for school or (b) not having time to resolve any initial issues with it. I think it would be a nightmare to start school still trying to work out any kinks with it.

I'm targeting April/May as the end of my waiting game. If I find a deal and make a decision before then, great. Otherwise, I'll just buy something at that point.
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V47
Send PM
PBateman wrote:
vgeri wrote:
adcxaway wrote:

I've thought about waiting until summer too, but then you really run the risk of (a) laptop not shipping in time for school or (b) not having time to resolve any initial issues with it. I think it would be a nightmare to start school still trying to work out any kinks with it.

I'm targeting April/May as the end of my waiting game. If I find a deal and make a decision before then, great. Otherwise, I'll just buy something at that point.

hmmm..good point PBateman! now that i think about it, when I bought my last laptop I spent the first month sorting out the numerous issues I had with it... although I certainly hope that experience will not repeat itself (never again Fujitsu-Siemens!!!), I might aim for June/July which should leave enough time before school starts late August. Anyways I'll be traveling around the world in the few months before then so no need for new laptop there! :)
Manager
Manager
 Q47  V47
Send PM
stopper5 wrote:
Has anyone ever asked their employers if they can "buy" the work laptop from the company? How should I do this (if at all)?

I really like the HP laptop I'm using currently for work.

I've thought about that too (also have an HP laptop at work which is great) but in the end I realised I am too spoiled and want something new.

But if you want it, why don't you just ask? They would probably sell it to you at its book value which should be way below market value unless it's brand new. Or by the word "buy" in brackets you mean getting it for free? If they already know you're leaving there's not much risk in asking, I'd have thought?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Ross 2012
 Q48  V37
Send PM
Hey all, headed to Ross in the fall and I'm considering an Asus UL30A A2. Anyone think I'll have any issues using this? From what I've read it should fit the bill for bschool (the most graphically intensive thing I'll probably ever use it for is streaming video from the web), and looks like I can pick one up for less than $800 with Windows 7. Thanks!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
I'd talk to current students or IT at the school you're attending before buying a machine with Windows 7. For example, the IT dept here at Kellogg suggested we not upgrade yet because Windows 7 could have some compatibility issues with print servers and other shared technology here. I haven't seen a definitive date on when it will be fully supported, and while I'd like to think it will be sorted out by next academic year, you wouldn't want to show up to school with a machine that isn't compatible with the school's technology.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30