Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [9]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [2]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: The Happy Planet Index which ranks 151 countries considers data like [#permalink]
A) which ranks 151 countries, considers data like life expectancy, overall well-being, and a country’s ecological footprint on calculating the happiness of a country : Using LIKE to give examples is incorrect

B) which ranks the happiness of 151 countries, considers data like life expectancy and overall well-being and a country’s ecological footprint : same as A

C) which ranks the happiness of 151 countries, considers data such as life expectancy and overall well-being, as well as the country’s ecological footprint in its calculations CORRECT

D) which ranks 151 countries, considers data such as life expectancy, overall well-being, as well as a country’s ecological footprint when calculating the happiness of a country - when is to denote point in time , WRONG

E) which ranks 151 countries, consider data such as life expectancy, overall well-being, and a country’s ecological footprint to deter¬mine the happiness of a country -S-V error ; Happy Planet Index need singular verb
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [1]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 590 Q47 V26
Send PM
The Happy Planet Index which ranks 151 countries considers data like [#permalink]
Kudos
The Happy Planet Index (N)
, which ranks 151 countries, (Non essential Modifier)
considers (V)
data like life expectancy, overall well-being, and a country’s ecological footprint ---Like can't be used for examples
on calculating the happiness of a country.--On calculating is incorrect, it should be 'in calculating' or 'while calculating' IMO

A) which ranks 151 countries, considers data like life expectancy, overall well-being, and a country’s ecological footprint on calculating the happiness of a country--Incorrect due to above reasons

B) which ranks the happiness of 151 countries, considers data like life expectancy and overall well-being and a country’s ecological footprint
--usage of like for giving examples is incorrect
--usage of and is incorrect.
--Sentence is incomplete...HPI considers X,Y,Z for what?
C) which ranks the happiness of 151 countries, considers data such as life expectancy and overall well-being, as well as the country’s ecological footprint in its calculations
-- Use of such as is correct.
--it refers to HPI
--Looks ok

D) which ranks 151 countries, considers data such as life expectancy, overall well-being, as well as a country’s ecological footprint when calculating the happiness of a country
--use of such as is correct
--consider X as Y is correct idiom
--when is used only to represent time, so the above usage is incorrect.
--who is calculating the happiness? Happiness planning Index?

E) which ranks 151 countries, consider data such as life expectancy, overall well-being, and a country’s ecological footprint to deter¬mine the happiness of a country
--S-V Agreement error
--Consider to is incorrect idiom IMO. It should be either consider X as Y or consider X,Y.

Option C IMO
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
Re: The Happy Planet Index which ranks 151 countries considers data like [#permalink]
Yes Consider does not follow any idiom .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
The eruption of the volcano is considered normal. is correct.

The eruption of the volcano is considered as normal.
The eruption of the volcano is considered to be normal.
both are incorrect.

PrashantK0099 wrote:
Yes Consider does not follow any idiom .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
The Happy Planet Index, which ranks 151 countries, considers data like life expectancy, overall well-being, and a country’s ecological footprint on calculating the happiness of a country.

A) which ranks 151 countries, considers data like life expectancy, overall well-being, and a country’s ecological footprint on calculating the happiness of a country
like- incorrect

B) which ranks the happiness of 151 countries, considers data like life expectancy and overall well-being and a country’s ecological footprint
like- incorrect

C) which ranks the happiness of 151 countries, considers data such as life expectancy and overall well-being, as well as the country’s ecological footprint in its calculations
correct

D) which ranks 151 countries, considers data such as life expectancy, overall well-being, as well as a country’s ecological footprint when calculating the happiness of a country
when calculating is awkward
incorrect

E) which ranks 151 countries, consider data such as life expectancy, overall well-being, and a country’s ecological footprint to deter¬mine the happiness of a country
Consider- SV error
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q42 V17
GMAT 2: 590 Q47 V26
Send PM
The Happy Planet Index which ranks 151 countries considers data like [#permalink]
generis wrote:
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Project SC Butler: Sentence Correction (SC1)

The Happy Planet Index, which ranks 151 countries, considers data like life expectancy, overall well-being, and a country’s ecological footprint on calculating the happiness of a country.

A) which ranks 151 countries, considers data like life expectancy, overall well-being, and a country’s ecological footprint on calculating the happiness of a country

Quick POE

1. Eliminate E because consider is a plural verb and The Happy Planet Index is singular.
2. Be suspicious of A and B because such as should be used to introduce examples, not like.
→ Eliminate (A) for the incorrect use of "on calculating." The word on should be in or when
→ Eliminate (B) because X and Y and Z is not a correct list construction
3. Eliminate (D) because X, Y, as well as Z is not a correct list construction
The answer is (C). The correct list construction in this case is X and Y, as well as Z.

More in-depth analysis

THE PROMPT
Quote:

• Concepts tested?
→ lists
→ subject/verb agreement
→ such as vs. like
→ idiom with preposition in

Two idioms that contain the word consider are not tested.
There are two such idioms, and at least one construction involving consider that GMAC still rejects. (See Notes, below.)

Tip: one of GMAC's sneakiest traps involves lists that are correct but that do not conform to what you expect.
This question involves that kind of list.

THE OPTIONS
Quote:

• to list examples, such as is preferred to like

• the preposition on is incorrect and should be in or when
→ correct: I consider factors such as the clarity of the thesis statement and creative analysis in calculating essay grades.
→ correct: I consider factors such as the clarity of the thesis statement and creative analysis when [I am] calculating essay grades.
ELIMINATE A

Note: the list in option A follows what most aspirants expect: X, Y, and Z.
That structure is not the only way to list more than two items and is not the structure of the list in the correct answer.
GMAC likes to fool around with list structure.
Quote:

• The structure of the list in this option is not idiomatic:
X and Y and Z is incorrect.
X = life expectancy
Y = overall well-being
Z = a country's ecological footprint
→ we need the structure of the list used in either (A) or (C)

such as rather than like should be used to list examples
If you are not sure about this option, keep it and look for a better one.
ELIMINATE B
Quote:

• The list in this option is correctly constructed: X and Y, as well as Z
→ in the parallel structure X and Y, the word and indicates that X and Y are equally weighted, whereas

→ the phrase as well as Z typically suggests that Z is not as important as X and Y.
Correct: One common healthy diet includes fruits and vegetables, carbohydrates, and protein, as well as a bit of healthy fat.
→ That list has the structure P and Q, R, and S, as well as T

→ Notice the Oxford comma (the comma + and that precedes "S": I have never seen an official question that fails to use this comma.
→ Journalists in newspapers do not use this comma. They are saving space.

GMAC uses the Oxford comma, which can help us sort out the kind of list an option is giving us.

For a discussion of and and as well as, see this post, here.

• (C) uses such as rather than like to introduce examples
KEEP

Quote:
D) which ranks 151 countries, considers data such as life expectancy, [AND] overall well-being, as well as a country’s ecological footprint when calculating the happiness of a country

• this list structure is incorrect: X, Y, as well as Z

→ We need the structure in option C (X and Y, as well as Z) or the structure in option A (X, Y, and Z)

• The X and Y elements need the word and between them.

→ The phrase as well as before the third element in the list implies that the third element is not as important as the first two elements.

Quote:
E) which ranks 151 countries, consider data such as life expectancy, overall well-being, and a country’s ecological footprint to determine the happiness of a country

• subject/verb disagreement
Happy Planet Index is singular. The verb should be considers, singular, not consider, plural.
ELIMINATE E

The answer is C.

Notes

Lists

You may be tested on your ability to recognize that you are looking at a list even though it does not follow the typical X, Y, and Z pattern.
→ X, Y, and Z always requires an Oxford comma (the comma that is placed before the last item in a list)
→ These structures are okay, too:
P, Q and R, and S
P, Q, and R, as well as S
P and Q, R, and S, as well as T
P and Q, as well as R (obviously - answer C)

Consider -- part an idiom?
Yes. Just not in this sentence.

I am happy to be proven wrong.
When consider means "to regard (someone or something) as having a specified quality," here, #2,
GMAC
(1) tests one idiom: Consider X, Y
(2) has recently used another idiom that many thought was incorrect: Consider X to be Y
and
(3) rejects other constructions, especially Consider X as Y.
then "consider" is idiomatic.

With respect to #2 above, GMAC recently used the expression Consider X to be Y in the non-underlined portion of a question.
That is, consider to be is occasionally acceptable on the GMAT.
Spoiler alert: One recent official question used consider . . . to be in the non-underlined portion of the sentence.
You can find that question by clicking here.

With respect to #3 above, Consider X as Y is not idiomatic.
If someone wants to produce an official question in which consider as is part of the correct answer or part of the non-underlined portion of an official question, I will amend my stance.
I have not seen such a question.

That one recent consider to be usage may not be well-known, so people may still be teaching that only one idiom is acceptable.
I think that this recent question and one other that I cannot recall at the moment signal only that Consider X, Y will not be pitted against Consider X to be Y.
I do not think that this recent question signals that the idiom Consider X, Y has ceased to be.

When consider means to think carefully about, especially in order to make a decision, the verb simply takes direct objects and is not part of an idiomatic expression.
Correct: Universities consider A, B, and C when making admissions decisions.
That usage has nothing to do with idioms and everything to do with transitive verbs that require direct objects.

COMMENTS

AntrikshR and PrashantK0099 , welcome to SC Butler. :)

rahat16 and #Varunsawhney8 , good to "see" you again.

Smiley faces go to answers whose explanations were good but incomplete; kudos go to clear explanations.

Dear generis,

Thank you for the insightful explanation :)
Few questions:
1) Isn't when is used to denote a point in time?
I am trying to understand how the usage of when is correct in this sentence ?
"Universities consider A, B, and C when making admissions decisions."
Also, what kind of modifier is 'when making admissions decisions'? I understand that it's modifying 'consider'.
IMO if we replace when with while, the sentence will give the same meaning. Am I correct? If so, then why didn't we use while instead of when?
2) Is the idiom "consider such X as Y" (examples) correct (as it looks similar to consider X as Y)?
e.g.: The data scientists consider data such as population density in their results.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Send PM
generis wrote:

Lists

You may be tested on your ability to recognize that you are looking at a list even though it does not follow the typical X, Y, and Z pattern.
→ X, Y, and Z always requires an Oxford comma (the comma that is placed before the last item in a list)
→ These structures are okay, too:
P, Q and R, and S
P, Q, and R, as well as S
P and Q, R, and S, as well as T
P and Q, as well as R (obviously - answer C)

Hi generis ,

I really liked your post. It taught me various new things. Just one doubt in the examples of list as quoted above.

Is the comma after R in the second from last example correct or is it by mistake?

If it's correct then I'm confused regarding the same. Doesn't "P and Q, R, and S, as well as T" look weird in the written form?

Thank you :)

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts