GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 13:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4264
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Aug 2019, 23:53
5
11
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 1021 sessions

52% (02:57) correct 48% (02:58) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 1036 sessions

86% (00:39) correct 14% (00:55) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 993 sessions

75% (00:56) correct 25% (01:08) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 280 sessions

69% (01:02) correct 31% (01:29) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 244 sessions

80% (00:59) correct 20% (01:13) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “modern” household technologies would eliminate drudgery, save labor time, and increase leisure for women who were full-time home workers remained largely unchallenged until the women’s movement of the 1970’s spawned the groundbreaking and influential works of sociologist Joann Vanek and historian Ruth Cowan. Vanek analyzed 40 years of time-use surveys conducted by home economists to argue that electrical appliances and other modern household technologies reduced the effort required to perform specific tasks, but ownership of these appliances did not correlate with less time spent on housework by full-time home workers. In fact, time spent by these workers remained remarkably constant—at about 52 to 54 hours per week—from the 1920’s to the 1960’s, a period of significant change in household technology. In surveying two centuries of household technology in the United States, Cowan argued that the “industrialization” of the home often resulted in more work for full-time home workers because the use of such devices as coal stoves, water pumps, and vacuum cleaners tended to reduce the workload of married-women’s helpers (husbands, sons, daughters, and servants) while promoting a more rigorous standard of housework. The full-time home worker’s duties also shifted to include more household management, child care, and the post-Second World War phenomenon of being “Mom’s taxi.”


1. According to the passage, which of the following is true about the idea mentioned in the highlighted text?

(A) It has been undermined by data found in time-use surveys conducted by home economists.

(B) It was based on a definition of housework that was explicitly rejected by Vanek and Cowan.

(C) It is more valid for the time period studied by Cowan than for the time period studied by Vanek.

(D) It is based on an underestimation of the time that married women spent on housework prior to the industrialization of the household.

(E) It inaccurately suggested that new household technologies would reduce the effort required to perform housework.



2. The passage is primarily concerned with

(A) analyzing a debate between two scholars

(B) challenging the evidence on which a new theory is based

(C) describing how certain scholars’ work countered a prevailing view

(D) presenting the research used to support a traditional theory

(E) evaluating the methodology used to study a particular issue



3. The passage suggests that Vanek and Cowan would agree that modernizing household technology did not

(A) reduce the workload of servants and other household helpers

(B) raise the standard of housework that women who were full-time home workers set for themselves

(C) decrease the effort required to perform household tasks

(D) reduce the time spent on housework by women who were full-time home workers

(E) result in a savings of money used for household maintenance




4. According to the passage, Cowan asserts which of the following about married women's helpers over the past two centuries ?

A) they were encouraged to participate more actively in the work of the household by the advent of modern conveniences.

B) the industrialization of the home affected the time spent on housework in the same way.

C) they spent more time on household tasks because of the more rigorous standards of housework promoted by the industrialization of the home.

D) they had less leisure time after the industrialization of the home than has been assumed by most historians.

E) they spent less time on housework with the advent of such devices as the coal stove and the water pump.




5. Which of the following best describes the function of the highlighted sentence : In fact, time spent by these workers .............household technology. ?

A. It offers an alternative interpretation of a phenomenon described in the previous sentence.

B. It provides the specific evidence on which an argument described in the previous sentence is based.

C. It shifts the focus of the argument developed earlier in the passage.

D. It introduces evidence that has not been taken into account by Vanek and Cowan.

E. It introduces a topic for discussion that will be developed in the rest of the passage.


_________________

Originally posted by souvik101990 on 24 May 2016, 10:33.
Last edited by SajjadAhmad on 22 Aug 2019, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
Updated - Complete topic (262).
Current Student
avatar
B
Status: Persevere
Joined: 09 Jan 2016
Posts: 117
Location: Hong Kong
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.52
Reviews Badge
Re: The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 21:26
2
Read the passage and answered the second and third question in 3 min 8 sec.
Please highlight the relevant text for Q1.

2) The passage is primarily concerned with
A. analyzing a debate between two scholars
Incorrect. The Passage puts forth the scholars arguments and findings but does not analyze these.
B. challenging the evidence on which a new theory is
based
Incorrect. The passage does not discuss a new theory but a prevailing belief.
C. describing how certain scholars’ work countered a
prevailing view
Correct. The prevailing view mentioned in the first sentence has been countered by the work done by 2 scholars.
D. presenting the research used to support a
traditional theory
Incorrect. Traditional theory is not supported. In fact, a prevailing view has been challenged.
E. evaluating the methodology used to study a
particular issue
Incorrect. The passage does not discuss methodology. It presents the findings of two scholars against a prevalent view.

3) The passage suggests that Vanek and Cowan would
agree that modernizing household technology did not
A. reduce the workload of servants and other
household helpers
Incorrect. In fact Cowen agreed that this thing did happen. Refer line: "Cowan argued that the “industrialization” of the home often resulted in more work for full-time home workers because the use of such devices as coal stoves, water pumps, and vacuum cleaners tended to reduce the workload of married-women’s helpers (husbands, sons, daughters, and servants)...."
B. raise the standard of housework that women who
were full-time home workers set for themselves
Incorrect. This is also something that Cowen agreed happened. Refer same line as A above: "Cowan argued that the “industrialization” of the home often resulted in .......while promoting a more rigorous standard of housework."
C. decrease the effort required to perform household
tasks
Incorrect. Again, Vanek agreed that this did happen. Refer lines: "Vanek analyzed 40 years of time-use surveys conducted by home economists to argue that electrical appliances and other modern household technologies reduced the effort required to perform specific tasks,...."
D. reduce the time spent on housework by women
who were full-time home workers
Correct. Both Vanek and Cowen agreed that this DID NOT happen. Refer lines: "but ownership of these appliances did not correlate with less time spent on housework by full-time home workers" and "Cowan argued that the “industrialization” of the home often resulted in more work for full-time home workers"
E. result in a savings of money used for household maintenance
Incorrect. Both scholars never discussed money being saved.
Current Student
avatar
B
Status: Persevere
Joined: 09 Jan 2016
Posts: 117
Location: Hong Kong
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.52
Reviews Badge
Re: The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2016, 21:34
3
1
Ok. Regarding the first question, I am guessing the idea mentioned in the highlighted text refers to the idea mentioned in the first sentence of the passage.

1) According to the passage, which of the following is
true about the idea mentioned in the highlighted text?
A. It has been undermined by data found in time-use
surveys conducted by home economists.
Correct. Findings from the surveys conducted byCowen and Vanek challenge the idea in the first sentence.
B. It was based on a definition of housework that was
explicitly rejected by Vanek and Cowan.
Incorrect. Definition of housework is not even discussed in the passage.
C. It is more valid for the time period studied by
Cowan than for the time period studied by Vanek.
Incorrect. The passage does not provide information to infer this.
D. It is based on an underestimation of the time that
married women spent on housework prior to the
industrialization of the household.
Incorrect. The passage does not say that the prevalent view or the idea is based on an underestimation of the time that married women spent on housework prior to the industrialization of the household. In fact, the passage says that the belief that time saved from industrialization meant more leisure time for women is not correct based on the findings of the two scholars.
E. It inaccurately suggested that new household
technologies would reduce the effort required to
perform housework.
Incorrect. In fact the scholars agreed that new household technologies reduced the effort required to perform housework.
Current Student
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Nov 2014
Posts: 818
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M$)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge
Re: The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 12:06
The passage suggests that Vanek and Cowan would agree that modernizing household technology did not

A. reduce the workload of servants and other household helpers
B. raise the standard of housework that women who were full-time home workers set for themselves
C. decrease the effort required to perform household tasks
D. reduce the time spent on housework by women who were full-time home workers
E. result in a savings of money used for household maintenance

Can anyone help me with the reasoning for option B here? Is it totally out of scope answer or 180-degree opposite? I am not sure if these lines from the passage helps to answer this question - 'Cowan argued that the “industrialization” of the home often resulted in more work for full-time home workers because the use of such devices as coal stoves, water pumps, and vacuum cleaners tended to reduce the workload of married-women’s helpers (husbands, sons, daughters, and servants) while promoting a more rigorous standard of housework. '
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 07 Sep 2014
Posts: 341
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Re: The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 09:56
1) According to the passage, which of the following is
true about the idea mentioned in the highlighted text?
A. It has been undermined by data found in time-use
surveys conducted by home economists.
B. It was based on a definition of housework that was
explicitly rejected by Vanek and Cowan.
C. It is more valid for the time period studied by
Cowan than for the time period studied by Vanek.
D. It is based on an underestimation of the time that
married women spent on housework prior to the
industrialization of the household.
E. It inaccurately suggested that new household
technologies would reduce the effort required to
perform housework.

Vanek analyzed 40 years of time-use surveys conducted by home economists to argue that electrical appliances and other modern household technologies reduced the effort required to perform specific tasks, but ownership of these appliances did not correlate with less time spent on housework by full-time home workers.

How come the idea was undetermined - "It has been undermined by data found in time-use
surveys conducted by home economists."

Vanek analyzed these data and found that ownership of these appliances did not correlate with less time spent on housework by full-time home workers.
so it was somehow weakening against the idea.


E. It inaccurately suggested that new household
technologies would reduce the effort required to
perform housework.

what is wrong with it?
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3577
Reviews Badge
Re: The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 06:47
1
abrakadabra21 wrote:
1) According to the passage, which of the following is
true about the idea mentioned in the highlighted text?
A. It has been undermined by data found in time-use
surveys conducted by home economists.
B. It was based on a definition of housework that was
explicitly rejected by Vanek and Cowan.
C. It is more valid for the time period studied by
Cowan than for the time period studied by Vanek.
D. It is based on an underestimation of the time that
married women spent on housework prior to the
industrialization of the household.
E. It inaccurately suggested that new household
technologies would reduce the effort required to
perform housework.

Vanek analyzed 40 years of time-use surveys conducted by home economists to argue that electrical appliances and other modern household technologies reduced the effort required to perform specific tasks, but ownership of these appliances did not correlate with less time spent on housework by full-time home workers.

How come the idea was undetermined - "It has been undermined by data found in time-use
surveys conducted by home economists."

Vanek analyzed these data and found that ownership of these appliances did not correlate with less time spent on housework by full-time home workers.
so it was somehow weakening against the idea.


E. It inaccurately suggested that new household
technologies would reduce the effort required to
perform housework.

what is wrong with it?


The passage states that the economists agree that the efforts have been reduced. Hence, we cannot say that the idea mentioned is inaccurately suggesting the efforts reduction. Hence, E is wrong.

The passage clearly states a prevailing view which was not questioned until 1930 and then it presents information that undermine this view. Thus, A is per our analysis.
_________________
My LinkedIn abhimahna.
My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3577
Reviews Badge
Re: The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2016, 06:51
Keats wrote:
The passage suggests that Vanek and Cowan would agree that modernizing household technology did not

A. reduce the workload of servants and other household helpers
B. raise the standard of housework that women who were full-time home workers set for themselves
C. decrease the effort required to perform household tasks
D. reduce the time spent on housework by women who were full-time home workers
E. result in a savings of money used for household maintenance

Can anyone help me with the reasoning for option B here? Is it totally out of scope answer or 180-degree opposite? I am not sure if these lines from the passage helps to answer this question - 'Cowan argued that the “industrialization” of the home often resulted in more work for full-time home workers because the use of such devices as coal stoves, water pumps, and vacuum cleaners tended to reduce the workload of married-women’s helpers (husbands, sons, daughters, and servants) while promoting a more rigorous standard of housework. '


B is completely opposite. It clearly suggests that the workload of married-women’s helpers has reduced and the standard of housework is promoted.

Notice that the questions asks DID NOT. So, we need to find something that is exactly opposite to what modernizing household technology would do.

It is mentioned in the passage that although the efforts have reduced, the time spend is almost the same.

Hence, Choice D "reduce the time spent on housework by women who were full-time home workers" is wrong.
_________________
My LinkedIn abhimahna.
My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2013
Posts: 32
Re: The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2016, 04:41
1
1) A. It has been undermined by data found in time-use surveys conducted by home
economists ... the analysis of the time-use surveys is said to be done by Vanek in order
to disprove (undermine) the idea (prevailing belief) mentioned in the highlighted text.
CORRECT
B. It was based on a definition of housework that was explicitly rejected by Vanek and
Cowan … the passage only mentions the idea in the first line and nowhere states the
basis of the idea.
C. It is more valid for the time period studied by Cowan than for the time period studied
by Vanek … a typical mathematical answer. There is nowhere a relative comparison of
the two scholar’s works. Moreover, both scholars have disproved the validity of the
highlighted idea through their arguments … 180 degree answer
D. It is based on an underestimation of the time that married women spent on housework
prior to the industrialization of the household … the idea talks explicitly about the post
industrialization of the household and certainly not about any underestimation.
E. It inaccurately suggested that new household technologies would reduce the effort
required to perform housework … the idea exclusively believes in reducing the time
not the effort … effort reduction is mentioned in the passage as an inference out of
Vanek’s analysis.

2) analyzing a debate between two scholars … there is no debate and certainly not
between the two scholars mentioned … they’re both on the same side.
B. challenging the evidence on which a new theory is based … challenging implies the
author must have an opinion and the tone should be negative. There is no theory.
C. describing how certain scholars’ work countered a prevailing view … Exactly what the
passage does. CORRECT.
Line 30
D. presenting the research used to support a traditional theory … there is no theory in the
passage … even if the idea were to be considered a theory the answer choice runs 180
degree.
E. evaluating the methodology used to study a particular issue … evaluating means a
balanced tone.

3)A. reduce the workload of servants and other household helpers … 180 degrees answer …
in lines 20 - 27 Cowan argues for the exact opposite
B. raise the standard of housework that women who were full-time home workers set for
themselves … full time home workers setting standards for themselves is nowhere
mentioned in the passage
C. decrease the effort required to perform household tasks ... 180 degrees … line 12
Vanek says the exact opposite to this choice.
D. reduce the time spent on housework by women who were full-time home workers …
lines 12 – 15 (Vanek) and lines 21 – 22 (Cowan) confirm this answer choice accurately.
CORRECT
E. result in a savings of money used for household maintenance … money savings is not
even remotely associated with the passage
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Nov 2016
Posts: 8
Schools: LBS '19
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Re: The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 11:50
there is another question about this passage that I want to ask..

According to the passage, Cowan asserts which of the following about married women's helpers over the past two centuries ?

a) they were encouraged to participate more actively in the work of the household by the advent of modern conveniences
b) the industrialization of the home affected the time spent on housework in the same way
c) they spent more time on household tasks because of the more rigorous standards of housework promoted by the industrialization of the home.
d) they had less leisure time after the industrialization of the home than has been assumed by most historians
e) they spent less time on housework with the advent of such devices as the coal stove and the water pump.

I chose C, and the correct answer is E. Is there anybody who can explain the reasoning here?
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Status: GMAT...one last time for good!!
Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 54
Location: India
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 23:52
bbb789 wrote:
there is another question about this passage that I want to ask..

According to the passage, Cowan asserts which of the following about married women's helpers over the past two centuries ?

a) they were encouraged to participate more actively in the work of the household by the advent of modern conveniences
b) the industrialization of the home affected the time spent on housework in the same way
c) they spent more time on household tasks because of the more rigorous standards of housework promoted by the industrialization of the home.
d) they had less leisure time after the industrialization of the home than has been assumed by most historians
e) they spent less time on housework with the advent of such devices as the coal stove and the water pump.

I chose C, and the correct answer is E. Is there anybody who can explain the reasoning here?


Cowan argued that the “industrialization” of the home often resulted in more work for full-time home workers because the use of such devices as coal stoves, water pumps, and vacuum cleaners tended to reduce the workload of married-women’s helpers (husbands, sons, daughters, and servants) while promoting a more rigorous standard of housework.

These devices were used by helpers and not married women. Now the helpers used to do the same things before, now with the new devices the standard went up and at the same time time for the work went down.

Hope this helps!
_________________
Kudos for a correct solution :)
Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Preparing for GMAT
Joined: 25 Nov 2015
Posts: 1044
Location: India
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2017, 07:38
1
souvik101990 wrote:
New GMAT Prep RC Project: 1 RC Every day. Don't forget to time yourself with the stopwatch below to earn kudos.


The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “modern” household technologies would eliminate drudgery, save labor time, and increase leisure for women who were full-time home workers remained largely unchallenged until the women’s movement of the 1970’s spawned the groundbreaking and influential works of sociologist Joann Vanek and historian Ruth Cowan. Vanek analyzed 40 years of time-use surveys conducted by home economists to argue that electrical appliances and other modern household technologies reduced the effort required to perform specific tasks, but ownership of these appliances did not correlate with less time spent on housework by full-time home workers. In fact, time spent by these workers remained remarkably constant—at about 52 to 54 hours per week—from the 1920’s to the 1960’s, a period of significant change in household technology. In surveying two centuries of household technology in the United States, Cowan argued that the “industrialization” of the home often resulted in more work for full-time home workers because the use of such devices as coal stoves, water pumps, and vacuum cleaners tended to reduce the workload of married-women’s helpers (husbands, sons, daughters, and servants) while promoting a more rigorous standard of housework. The full-time home worker’s duties also shifted to include more household management, child care, and the post-Second World War phenomenon of being “Mom’s taxi.”


There is one additional question in Gmatprep for this passage:

Which of the following best describes the function of the highlighted sentence?
A. It offers an alternative interpretation of a phenomenon described in the previous sentence.
B. It provides the specific evidence on which an argument described in the previous sentence is based.
C. It shifts the focus of the argument developed earlier in the passage.
D. It introduces evidence that has not been taken into account by Vanek and Cowan.
E. It introduces a topic for discussion that will be developed in the rest of the passage.
_________________
Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 2401
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 11:40
Took 5 mins in total , including 2 mins to read the passage. All correct

1) According to the passage, which of the following is true about the idea mentioned in the highlighted text?
A. It has been undermined by data found in time-use surveys conducted by home economists. - Correct
The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “modern” household technologies would eliminate drudgery, save labor time, and increase leisure for women who were full-time home workers remained largely unchallenged

In fact, time spent by these workers remained remarkably constant—at about 52 to 54 hours per week—from the 1920’s to the 1960’s, a period of significant change in household technology.

2) The passage is primarily concerned with
C. describing how certain scholars’ work countered a prevailing view

The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “modern” household technologies would eliminate drudgery, save labor time, and increase leisure for women who were full-time home workers remained largely unchallenged until the women’s movement of the 1970’s spawned the groundbreaking and influential works of sociologist Joann Vanek and historian Ruth Cowan.

3) The passage suggests that Vanek and Cowan would agree that modernizing household technology did not
D. reduce the time spent on housework by women who were full-time home workers --
In fact, time spent by these workers remained remarkably constant—at about 52 to 54 hours per week—from the 1920’s to the 1960’s, a period of significant change in household technology.

Cowan argued that the “industrialization” of the home often resulted in more work for full-time home workers because the use of such devices as coal stoves, water pumps, and vacuum cleaners tended to reduce the workload of married-women’s helpers (husbands, sons, daughters, and servants) while promoting a more rigorous standard of housework.
_________________
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
Director
Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 689
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 20:59
2
HI workout, u1983 , broall

Mod Please add below questions to the passage, so that all 5 can be solved once :-)

According to the passage, Cowan asserts which of the following about married women's helpers over the past two centuries ?

A) they were encouraged to participate more actively in the work of the household by the advent of modern conveniences
B) the industrialization of the home affected the time spent on housework in the same way
C) they spent more time on household tasks because of the more rigorous standards of housework promoted by the industrialization of the home.
D) they had less leisure time after the industrialization of the home than has been assumed by most historians
E) they spent less time on housework with the advent of such devices as the coal stove and the water pump.

OA: E


Which of the following best describes the function of the highlighted sentence?
A. It offers an alternative interpretation of a phenomenon described in the previous sentence.
B. It provides the specific evidence on which an argument described in the previous sentence is based.
C. It shifts the focus of the argument developed earlier in the passage.
D. It introduces evidence that has not been taken into account by Vanek and Cowan.
E. It introduces a topic for discussion that will be developed in the rest of the passage.

OA:B

_________________
आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 22 Jan 2018
Posts: 50
Re: The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2018, 11:05
Still not clear about the response to first question.

I selected E. The passage says: "ownership of these appliances did not correlate with less time spent on housework".

Also, A uses the words "home economists". Joann Vanek was a sociologist and Ruth Cowan was a historian. Where does the passage suggest that these were "home economists"? What am I missing.

Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jul 2018
Posts: 433
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2019, 14:50
keats wrote:
The passage suggests that Vanek and Cowan would agree that modernizing household technology did not

A. reduce the workload of servants and other household helpers
B. raise the standard of housework that women who were full-time home workers set for themselves
C. decrease the effort required to perform household tasks
D. reduce the time spent on housework by women who were full-time home workers
E. result in a savings of money used for household maintenance

Can anyone help me with the reasoning for option B here? Is it totally out of scope answer or 180-degree opposite? I am not sure if these lines from the passage helps to answer this question - 'Cowan argued that the “industrialization” of the home often resulted in more work for full-time home workers because the use of such devices as coal stoves, water pumps, and vacuum cleaners tended to reduce the workload of married-women’s helpers (husbands, sons, daughters, and servants) while promoting a more rigorous standard of housework. '



LOOK THE ISSUE AT HAND IS THAT YOU NEED TO IDENTIFY A COMMON GROUND ON WHICH BOTH WOMEN WILL AGREE UPON. YOU ARE CORRECT IN ASSUMING B BUT, IT IS BASED ENTIRELY UPON ONE OF THE TWO'S VIEW. WHAT BOTH OF THEM SAID OR AT-LEAST IMPLIED IS THAT THE TIME DID NOT REDUCE, SEE WHERE WOMAN 1 SAYS IT ACTUALLY REMAINED CONSTAND AND WOMAN 2 SAID TIME INCREASED. SO, IF IT REMAINED CONSTANT, OR INCREASED, IT DIDNOT DECRESE IN ANY OF THEIR OPINION. HENCE, D
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 15 Dec 2016
Posts: 101
Re: The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2019, 15:02
GMATNinja

On Question 1 -- Why not E

From the paragraph -- it seems like the idea got it totally wrong ...The idea thought industrialization would save labor time but it didnt

Per the paragraph -- seems like time spent remained constant


"time spent by these workers remained remarkably constant—at about 52 to 54 hours per week—from the 1920’s to the 1960’s, a period of significant change in household technology"


Hence why is (E) wrong in that case ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jul 2018
Posts: 433
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jan 2019, 12:48
LONG ANSWER SHORT, "MONEY ISN'T RELATED TO TIME, GMAT NEEDS BUSINESSMEN NOT SHAKESPEARE"
IF YOU GOT IT, IT IS GREAT BUT IF YOU DIDN'T, READ THIS

FIRST THING FIRST IDEA DOESN'T THINK, ITS OK I KNOW U KNOW, JUST ITS ODD TO SAY IT. YES YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE TIME REMAINING CONSTANT. A CONSTANT TIME AND INCREASED TIME BOTH NEGATE REDUCTION IN TIME, DO THEY NOT??? FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU SAY THAT YOU BOUGHT 10 TICKETS TO A GAME IN JANUARY, YOU BOUGHT THE CONSTANT NUMBER IN FEBRUARY, AND THEN YOUR FRIEND SAID THAT IN MARCH YOU INCREASED THE NUMBER OF TICKETS YOU BOUGHT. BUT, IN ALL THREE MONTHS, THE NUMBER OF TICKETS DIDN'T REDUCE. SIMILAR LOGIC FOR THE OPTION D


NOW WHY NOT E. SINCE THEY ARE HOUSEWIVES, ITS SAFE TO ASSUME THEY ARE NOT BEING PAID.NEXT THING WRONG IS THAT THEY ARE TALKING OF MAINTENANCE HOWEVER THE MAJOR POINT IS REDUCING EFFORT AND TIME ON STUFF BY BUYING MACHINERY OR OTHER MEANS. MONEY IS A GIVE AWAY, AND SO IS MAINTENANCE. E REEKS OF INCORRECT DETAILS BUT YES IT CAN BE CONFUSING IF YOU TREAT TIME AND MONEY AS RELATED TERMS. THEY ARE NOT. AS LONG AS THEY DONOT SHOW YOU AN ANALOGY, TWO TERMS ON GMAT ARE M UNRELATED
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2866
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 14:50
1
jabhatta@umail.iu.edu wrote:
GMATNinja

On Question 1 -- Why not E

From the paragraph -- it seems like the idea got it totally wrong ...The idea thought industrialization would save labor time but it didnt

Per the paragraph -- seems like time spent remained constant


"time spent by these workers remained remarkably constant—at about 52 to 54 hours per week—from the 1920’s to the 1960’s, a period of significant change in household technology"


Hence why is (E) wrong in that case ?

First, take another look at the "idea" referenced in the question: "equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “modern” household technologies would eliminate drudgery, save labor time, and increase leisure for women who were full-time home workers." Now, let's look at the answer choice in the context of this idea:

Quote:
(E) It inaccurately suggested that new household technologies would reduce the effort required to perform housework.

In your analysis, you point out that "time spent remained constant." (E) specifies a reduction in effort, not a reduction in time.

The author of the passage states that surveys conducted by home economists originally intended to show that "modern household technologies reduced the effort required to perform specific tasks." After analyzing data from these surveys, Vanek found that "ownership of these appliances did not correlate with less time spent on housework by full-time home workers." So, while specific tasks required less effort, the time spent on housework remained constant.

Because of this evidence, we cannot say that the suggestion that household technologies reduced the effort required to perform housework is "inaccurate," as stated in answer choice (E).

I hope that helps!
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | Instagram | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: SC & CR Fundamentals | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset | Series 3: Word Problem Bootcamp + Next-Level SC & CR

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo   [#permalink] 06 Feb 2019, 14:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The idea that equipping homes with electrical appliances and other “mo

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne