GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 11:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

The International Seabed Authority will oversee the new system by next

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
The International Seabed Authority will oversee the new system by next  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 08:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

24% (02:24) correct 76% (02:20) wrong based on 207 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The International Seabed Authority will oversee the new system by next year, a system approved both as the first project to mine the deep ocean floor off the west coast of Mexico and as the real potential for human interaction transforming with the oceans, to the benefit of human beings and the oceans themselves.

(A) The International Seabed Authority will oversee the new system by next year, a system approved both as the first project to mine the deep ocean floor off the west coast of Mexico and as the real potential for human interaction transforms with the oceans

(B) Approving the first project off the west coast of Mexico, the International Seabed Authority will realize the potential for transforming human interaction with the oceans, overseeing the new system to mine the deep ocean floor by next year

(C) With the new system overseen to authorise mining the deep ocean floor, the International Seabed Authority is expected to approve the first project by next year to do so off the west coast of Mexico, where potential for human interaction transformed with the oceans is very real

(D) It is expected that by next year the International Seabed Authority, approving the first project to do so off the west coast of Mexico, will oversee the new system to authorise mining the deep ocean floor; the potential for which human interaction with the oceans transforms is very real

(E) Overseeing the new system to authorise mining the deep ocean floor, the International Seabed Authority is expected to approve by next year the first project to do so off the west coast of Mexico; the potential for transforming human interaction with the oceans is very real

Source: ZhanGMAT

A question never seen before but (IMO) feels pretty much like real-test hard Qs.
Please explain why other choices are inferior/wrong...

The only fault that I know by far is D: sentence fragment after the semi-colon.

Thank you.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
Re: The International Seabed Authority will oversee the new system by next  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 20:48
Can you please explain why E is the correct answer choice and why the remaining choices are wrong?
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Reviews Badge
Re: The International Seabed Authority will oversee the new system by next  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 00:42
Let's give this a shot.

The International Seabed Authority will oversee the new system by next year, a system approved both as the first project to mine the deep ocean floor off the west coast of Mexico and as the real potential for human interaction transforming with the oceans, to the benefit of human beings and the oceans themselves.

(A) The International Seabed Authority will oversee the new system by next year, a system approved both as the first project to mine the deep ocean floor off the west coast of Mexico and as the real potential for human interaction transforms with the oceans - Usage of 'as' is incorrect. 'As' followed by a noun i.e. "first project" and "real potential" means that the system is playing these roles. This is INCORRECT. Additionally, if we remove the modifier, the sentence becomes - "The International Seabed Authority will oversee the new system by next year to the benefit of human beings and the oceans themselves." This also doesn't make sense.

(B) Approving the first project off the west coast of Mexico, the International Seabed Authority will realize the potential for transforming human interaction with the oceans, overseeing the new system to mine the deep ocean floor by next year - The modifier and the clause take place in the same time frame. From the opening modifier it seems that approval of the first project 'will' take place in future. As per the original sentence, it is clear that the approval has already been approved. Also, upon removing the modifiers, the sentence becomes - "the International Seabed Authority will realize the potential for transforming human interaction with the oceans to the benefit of human beings and the oceans themselves." This is incorrect because the intent of the main clause in the original sentence is that the ISA will oversee.."

(C) With the new system overseen to authorise mining the deep ocean floor, the International Seabed Authority is expected to approve the first project by next year to do so off the west coast of Mexico, where potential for human interaction transformed with the oceans is very real - 'With' expresses relationship between the 2 phrases/ clauses. This was not the intent of the author

(D) It is expected that by next year the International Seabed Authority, approving the first project to do so off the west coast of Mexico, will oversee the new system to authorise mining the deep ocean floor; the potential for which human interaction with the oceans transforms is very real - It is not expected that ISA will oversee the project, we are sure of it as per the original sentence. Also, the potential is very real to the benefit of human beings..doesn't seem very logical

(E) Overseeing the new system to authorise mining the deep ocean floor, the International Seabed Authority is expected to approve by next year the first project to do so off the west coast of Mexico; the potential for transforming human interaction with the oceans is very real

Can 'to do so' refer to something in the modifier? IMO this doesn't seem like an official question, but (E) is the least incorrect.
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2018, 06:05

In option E, Does (Overseeing the new system to authorise mining the deep ocean floor) modifies the action of International seabed authority.
Overseeing the new system to authorise mining the deep ocean floor, to the benefit of human beings and the oceans themselves. -- Is the above construction grammatically and logically correct?

Please mention my name in your valuable replies.

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2018, 21:10
itisSheldon In theory, yes, the initial phrase is an adverbial modifier that applies to the main action. However, this doesn't make sense here. The implied meaning would be that the expectation of approval was somehow a natural consequence of the fact that the Authority is overseeing the system. The GMAT would never use an adverbial mdofier in this way. In any case, there are numerous other faults in answer choice E that prevent this sentence from passing muster. I would advise against trying to learn any English grammar from this sentence.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The International Seabed Authority will oversee the new system by next &nbs [#permalink] 24 Mar 2018, 21:10

The International Seabed Authority will oversee the new system by next

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap