GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 13:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The interview is an essential part of a successful hiring program beca

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V34
Re: The interview is an essential part of a successful hiring program beca  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 04:11
Hello Experts,

Could you please help me clarify a doubt:
Option C says that the interviewers will be able to accurately identify. But isn't the premise already stating that "interviews" will eliminate candidates whose personalities are unfit for the role.

This option kind of strengthens the premise, and its negation will obviously break down the argument because it breaks down the premise. Isn't it?

Can anyone please help me understand then how this option is an assumption?

Regards,
Rishav
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Re: The interview is an essential part of a successful hiring program beca  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2019, 12:40
Hi Rishav,

I'm by no means an expert, but I usually read through most contributors thoughts as it helps me gain a firmer understanding regardless. I'll try to justify (C) from my perspective; hopefully it is more helpful than harmful.

Conclusion: The interview is an essential part of a successful hiring program.
Premise: Interviews screen out job applicants with personalities that aren't a good fit.

Logically, interviews can only work well if the person conducting the interview knows what they're looking for. For example, imagine an HR representative with specialized recruiting expertise in Internal IT support is conducting interviews for roles in M&A Finance. The interview might be kind of pointless because the HR rep just doesn't know what he/she is looking for. The type of personalities that are typically successful in Internal IT may very well be completely different from the ones that would find success in M&A Finance. Anyway, that was a bit of an extreme example, but hopefully it is helpful.

With regards to your question,
Quote:
But isn't the premise already stating that "interviews" will eliminate candidates whose personalities are unfit for the role.

The premise is stating that the interviews - a scheduled event - will eliminate candidates whose personalities are unfit for the role; however, the interview in and of itself can't do that. The person who is physically conducting the interview has to be able to have the proper discretion to do so.

As I read my response, some of it sounds a touch redundant so I'll stop here. If I'm unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks!
Big Fat Disclaimer: I am NotAnExpert, but rather, merely a person that is studying for the GMAT and wants to make the best of, and take the most out of this forum. My only goal is to contribute to the community from the which I have taken so much, and ultimately help make the GMAT Club forums a better place to learn. In my posts, I share my learning outcomes by verbalizing how I solved problems, and hope that the added perspective can help anyone achieve an 'ah-hah' moment.

Sometimes it takes a concept being explained in 15 different ways to achieve an 'ah hah' breakthrough moment and I am here to contribute one, of hopefully many, unique perspectives. I do not encourage or participate in posts that simply state "that was easy", or "relevant, out of scope, correct". I find that people - myself included - often have a difficult time truly understanding the fact that in CR/RC questions, there will be one very definitively black and white correct answer, just a there is in Quant. As a result, my posts are exclusively focused on CR and RC. There is no such thing as a 'kinda right' question and because of this, I contribute detailed posts on how I came to my answer in hopes that it will connect with someone.

Wishing everyone all the best
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 570 Q43 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V34

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2019, 22:26
Chelsea212 wrote:
Hi Rishav,

I'm by no means an expert, but I usually read through most contributors thoughts as it helps me gain a firmer understanding regardless. I'll try to justify (C) from my perspective; hopefully it is more helpful than harmful.

Conclusion: The interview is an essential part of a successful hiring program.
Premise: Interviews screen out job applicants with personalities that aren't a good fit.

Logically, interviews can only work well if the person conducting the interview knows what they're looking for. For example, imagine an HR representative with specialized recruiting expertise in Internal IT support is conducting interviews for roles in M&A Finance. The interview might be kind of pointless because the HR rep just doesn't know what he/she is looking for. The type of personalities that are typically successful in Internal IT may very well be completely different from the ones that would find success in M&A Finance. Anyway, that was a bit of an extreme example, but hopefully it is helpful.

With regards to your question,
Quote:
But isn't the premise already stating that "interviews" will eliminate candidates whose personalities are unfit for the role.

The premise is stating that the interviews - a scheduled event - will eliminate candidates whose personalities are unfit for the role; however, the interview in and of itself can't do that. The person who is physically conducting the interview has to be able to have the proper discretion to do so.

As I read my response, some of it sounds a touch redundant so I'll stop here. If I'm unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks!

Hi Chelsea212,

Thanks for your elaboration and answering my query.
On deep introspection coupled with your answer I see that the premise doesn't mention "interviews". It mentions with it, job applicants who have personalities that are unsuited to the requirements of the job will be eliminated from consideration.

So the obvious assumption, which I assumed but got confused somewhere was - Interviews are able to find it.

Obviously if interviews are able to find it then it can be through interviewers. ( the point you mentioned) and a similar reasoning that NASA did not find the black hole, NASA scientist's did :)

Regards,
Rishav
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The interview is an essential part of a successful hiring program beca   [#permalink] 07 Jun 2019, 22:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

The interview is an essential part of a successful hiring program beca

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics