Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink]
Hey Paul,

Thanks for sharing the information. I also have experience of working in 3 continents :), but when considered time wise, not much. I agree that I am almost 2 st dev away from avg score and that really makes my chances less but I am confident that my work ex can compensate for the low gmat score.

Thanks,
Ashish
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Send PM
[edited by Buff: Hi sset009, i'd think we should stick with one thread to collate statistics over the whole year, welcome to the LBS thread!]

Hi guys,

jsut a forum for all R2 applicants.
post questions, and hoping that we can get advice from alumni and R1 candidates.

cheers

sset009

Originally posted by sset009 on 24 Nov 2008, 10:55.
Last edited by buffdaddy on 24 Nov 2008, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
merged post to keep everything LBS admissions related in one thread
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
agold wrote:
Are any other Americans ecstatic about the exchange rate? $1.4778 USD to 1 GBP. Unheard of. When I was in London a few years ago it was hovering between $1.8 - $1.9. I may actually have to apply to LBS now :)

The fees and tuition for the full 2 years are $67,239. This is a bargain compared to the American schools! It's even cheaper than UCLA's in-state rate.

Does anyone else foresee a huge spike in Round 2 applications due to this?

Funny you mention this, some Americans here in the program are either really pissed or happy. The pissed ones are those who paid the full year tuition in September when the exchange rate was really **** ($1.8 per pound). The happy ones are those who decided to pay in two installments at later dates for an additional £250, which will now save them thousands.

Not sure how this will impact R2 apps. R1 apps were up only 10%, which isn't too bad, though most apps are received in R2 (even R3 has more apps than R1). On the other hand, I wouldn't just apply to LBS b/c of the weak pound. Who knows how the exchange rate will look like in Sept 09...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I know that interviewers get to review your application before the interview? Do they get to see your recommendations too?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
 Q44  V41
Send PM
Hope all of you in the U.S. had a great Thanksgiving. I have been working on my LBS essays in between family time and bits of turkey. I am planning on applying to LBS R2, and I wondering if anyone has any guidance on 2 questions I have.

1. Where are people talking about their extracurriculars? I noticed there isn't a separate section for this in the application like there is on other business school applications. All I can see is the little section asking for a quick overview of things you enjoy doing outside of work. I mentioned a couple things in my "teamwork" essay--would you say this is the best opportunity to mention extra-curriculars outside of the small section? I thought about putting something in the "clubs" essay, but this doesn't seem appropriate. Thoughts?

2. Anyone know about what percent of applicants are invited to interview and chances of acceptance once you have been interviewed?

Any guidance thoughts would be appreciated! Also, if someone could add my name to the list at the beginning, Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
getmeouttahere wrote:
I know that interviewers get to review your application before the interview? Do they get to see your recommendations too?

I read somewhere (I think Clear Admit) that LBS gives recommenders your entire application, but not your transcripts or recommendations. It makes sense since I think there are strict confidentiality guidelines around those two documents (since they involve third-parties), and alumni are not technically part of the adcom.

Originally posted by prashok on 29 Nov 2008, 23:56.
Last edited by prashok on 30 Nov 2008, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
rosav wrote:
Hope all of you in the U.S. had a great Thanksgiving. I have been working on my LBS essays in between family time and bits of turkey. I am planning on applying to LBS R2, and I wondering if anyone has any guidance on 2 questions I have.

1. Where are people talking about their extracurriculars? I noticed there isn't a separate section for this in the application like there is on other business school applications. All I can see is the little section asking for a quick overview of things you enjoy doing outside of work. I mentioned a couple things in my "teamwork" essay--would you say this is the best opportunity to mention extra-curriculars outside of the small section? I thought about putting something in the "clubs" essay, but this doesn't seem appropriate. Thoughts?

2. Anyone know about what percent of applicants are invited to interview and chances of acceptance once you have been interviewed?

Any guidance thoughts would be appreciated! Also, if someone could add my name to the list at the beginning, Thanks!

Hi rosav -- don't know the stats for your second question, but for the first question -- I added detail on my extracurriculars to the essay on student involvement. I basically described my past and present activities and used my motivations for those activities to extrapolate and show the adcom where (and in what capacities) I would be involved in at LBS. I did not mention extracurriculars in my teamwork essay since I chose to write about my professional aspects. So depending on what activities you are involved in and what you chose to write about in the teamwork essay (personal vs professional), I think you could write about them in either essay.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
My interviewer had my whole app + resume (he asked me to walk through it). However I dont think he had the recommendations. So, there is anecdotal evidence to suggest this to be the case.

prashok wrote:
getmeouttahere wrote:

I read somewhere (I think Clear Admit) that LBS gives recommenders your entire application, but not your transcripts or recommendations. It makes sense since I think there are strict confidentiality guidelines around those two documents (since they involve third-parties), and alumni are not technically part of the adcom.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi to all,

A newbie to this forum....I'm planning to apply for round 2 which will be a huge challenge as I'm retaking gmat on 11 dec and am meant to be on two weeks vacation in nz from 19 dec- jan 4...however I've started working on essays and am also looking into my references so the ball has started rolling....feel a bit stressed as I read the stories of people with great profiles getting a ding!

Good luck to all and more soon,
Olivia
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Welcome to the LBS thread Olivia. Indeed juggling gmat and essays will be tough and stressful and I admire people who can pull it off successfully.

Best of luck

ps. Enjoy New Zealand and give us a shout if you're ever in Sydney.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
any idea how lbs informs applicants of decisions? will we all just get an email one way or another on dec 18th? thx...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
That's exactly right. Its all via an email. All on the same day.

getmeouttahere wrote:
any idea how lbs informs applicants of decisions? will we all just get an email one way or another on dec 18th? thx...
Current Student
Send PM
One more day until interviews are due, I think. Hope everyone did well!

Had mine earlier this week with a local alumnus (enterpreneur). Went alright, though many of the questions were different than what I expected (less behavioral-type questions related to leadership/teamwork -- more about my work and the details of my responsibilities). I think I did better on the case though -- even though I went over the time limit. :lol:

Now the waiting game begins!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Good evening everyone. Its nice to be back on here after a short hiatus :). I needed a break away from all this MBA madness after writing my GMAT in late September.

Im now into full on school research mode so that Im well prepared to apply in 2009 for 2010 entry. Might as well get started early, right ?

Bsd_lover, congrats on your admit. LBS is definitely at the top of my list; are you able to share any advice/insight for future applicants ? Did you ever visit the campus ?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Thanks pmenon - to answer your question - no, I didnt visit the campus at all. I feel that one of the strengths of LBS is the international and diverse community - but that also means that LBS probably have to ignore the expectations of a campus visit to accommodate for people who live outside England.

However if you are in London (or close by in Europe), go check it out. Then tell me what it is like ;)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Thanks, bsd. Im in Canada, and am planning to visit early next year while school is still in session. Im aiming to apply for Round 1, so I might even push out that trip until September 2009. Since London is my favorite city in the world, I can use this as an excuse to get out there .... but you'll already be there by then ! :)

Any essay tips ? Does LBS use the same essay questions from year-to-year ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  29   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts