Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink]
Congratulations everyone! I'll be joining you at LBS in the fall as a MiF student.
Current Student
Send PM
getmeouttahere wrote:
i'm in as well :lol:

Woohoo, congrats! Hope you are "getting outta" whereever you are at the moment and are coming to London... ;)
Current Student
Send PM
milkrate wrote:
Congratulations everyone! I'll be joining you at LBS in the fall as a MiF student.

Congrats to you as well milkrate!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
WOW, its a cleanout. The GMATClub has arrived at LBS :) Many congrats to UTDub, AdamH, getmeouttahere and milkrate. We'll see you there at London.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Clubbers are in da LBS :-D
Congratulation everyone accepted!
I am still battling with my GMAT - will apply for R3 :shock:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools:Texas (accepted) , Chicago Booth (accepted), Stanford (denied), London Business School (accepted)
 Q48  V39
Send PM
R1 admits, I noticed there is a 1,500 Euro non-refundable commitment fee due on Jan 23rd if you want to accept your offer. A few questions:

1) Does that not seem quite soon/early to everyone?
2) Is there no Admit Weekend for LBS? Of all my schools, LBS is the one I'd most like/need to visit and meet the other students to see how I fit and what I like or don't like.

This seems odd to me, especially compared to other schools that 1) give until March/April until a Deposit is due and 2) offer an Admit weekend to help you decide.

Thoughts?
Current Student
Send PM
Yeah, this "commitment" deposit for January seems to be a bit different than the usual single deposit for other schools. The second "reservation" deposit due in June is the more likely equivalent. Not sure why the deposits are split into two stages, though. :?

As far as admit weekends go, I don't think the European schools typically have those. The most similar concept are the "Open Houses" that are usually announced as they are planned throughout the year -- but those are open to everyone, not just admits. I would try emailing/calling the office to see when the next one is, though I don't know if it will be before January 23rd. Conversely, the admissions staff has been pretty good about scheduling private visits as well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I was accepted on Friday as well. Congrats to all and best of luck making a very significant decision in the next few weeks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Wow! So many admits! Congratulations to everyone, and good luck to all the next rounds applicants!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Many congratulations sept09. Holy crap that means pretty much everyone with an interview got an admit in R1 !!!!! Smells like a record number of Gmat clubbers at LBS this year ...

Sept09 wrote:
I was accepted on Friday as well. Congrats to all and best of luck making a very significant decision in the next few weeks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What US school would you guys compare LBS to?

I'm thinking realistically speaking it's not H/S/W, but that it's on par with Chicago/Columbia/MIT and ahead of the Berkeley/Tuck/NYU/UCLA/Michigan crowd. What do you guys think?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Haha this always creeps up every now and then (leading to inevitable flame wars). My answer to this is always a somewhat diplomatic - "I dont know, it depends...". Depends on location and needs. In Australia, LBS has more recognition than Chicago, Columbia, MIT, Kellogg (more alumni here). This is probably similar to Europe - although I am not qualified to make that call.

On the other hand, within the US I don't think LBS considered higher than lower 4 M7s. But, I'd say LBS is most certainly at par with the lower 4 M7s in terms of the quality of education and selectivity - but I dont think that LBS has the same superb alumni base in US as Columbia, Kellogg, Chicago (300 mill whoa ..), MIT etc.

Having said all of that - if you were to collate a world top 10 MBAs on reputation alone - LBS "should" always feature in it.

The world top 10 would look something like INSEAD/LBS/H/S/W/Chi/Col/MIT/Kell<toss up between Haas, Tuck, NYU, Ross etc.> <-- this is in no particular order.

getmeouttahere wrote:
What US school would you guys compare LBS to?

I'm thinking realistically speaking it's not H/S/W, but that it's on par with Chicago/Columbia/MIT and ahead of the Berkeley/Tuck/NYU/UCLA/Michigan crowd. What do you guys think?
Current Student
Send PM
Sept09 wrote:

Awesome -- congrats Sept09! :wave
Current Student
Send PM
Yeah, I'm with bsd_lover on this. Based on pure rankings, LBS is globally in the top ten in most sources. In the Financial Times rankings, it's in the top three, and I think it outranks H/S and the other M7 schools. In Europe, the holy trinity seems to be LBS, INSEAD and IMD. So, YMMV...

As I'm sure some of us discovered during interview and info sessions, reputation is still a challenge here in North America, though. It's a strong brand name of course, but against the M7, it's an uphill battle. So I would agree with what's been said -- that it's comparable with the lower M7, with the consideration that those US schools would still have stronger brands domestically.

Personally, I only applied to non-US schools because a post-MBA international career is very important to me (particularly Europe or Oceania). From that perspective outside of the United States, LBS/INSEAD are the next best after H/S/W, IMO. And I already knew I couldn't get into those three US schools... :lol:

So for me, LBS/INSEAD are my top choices (followed by IMD, Oxford, Cambridge, etc.).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q49  V36
Send PM
Wow, Congrats to everyone! This might be a record number of admits gmatclub has ever seen!

I have this mixed feeling about LBS vs US schools. I am from Asia but did my undergrad in the US. So, my mind is a bit US centric and I would probably be more thrilled to have M7 name on my resume than LBS. Having said that, I've always loved London, especially its entertainment options and travelling opportunities. More importantly, I would like to work in the city where my b-school is located post-MBA, and it will be extremely difficult for me to secure a visa in the States. This alone is making me lean towards LBS. It's kind of like my heart is telling me to go to US schools whereas my mind is urging me to choose LBS (given I am admitted).

Getting back to the original question. I consider LBS to be a peer school with Chicago/ Columbia (all of them seem to be a bit more finance oriented). By the way, how is their recruiting going? Looking at LBS's career report, I always had this feeling that LBS is exceptional when placing students into finance, but not so much with other industries. Is this because students are more self-selecting (finance-minded students tend to choose LBS?) or LBS's presence lag in consulting or industries?

krispy
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks for all the responses. i'm turning down Chicago and Northwestern for LBS. : ) hope to see you all there!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
UTdub wrote:
R1 admits, I noticed there is a 1,500 Euro non-refundable commitment fee due on Jan 23rd if you want to accept your offer. A few questions:

1) Does that not seem quite soon/early to everyone?
2) Is there no Admit Weekend for LBS? Of all my schools, LBS is the one I'd most like/need to visit and meet the other students to see how I fit and what I like or don't like.

This seems odd to me, especially compared to other schools that 1) give until March/April until a Deposit is due and 2) offer an Admit weekend to help you decide.

Thoughts?

EUR 1,500?! Damn, I have to pay non-refundable deposit of GBP 3,300 for JBS! And I have to pay it no later than 16 January...

bsd_lover, I should have listened you and applied to LBS, what a moron I am...

Just kidding :-D , I'll be fine on JBS, regardless of the deposit.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  29   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts