GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 22:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

     December 15, 2018

     December 15, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     December 15, 2018

     December 15, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

The number of automobile thefts has declined steadily during the past

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
avatar
V
Joined: 30 Jan 2016
Posts: 831
Location: United States (MA)
Reviews Badge
The number of automobile thefts has declined steadily during the past  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 08:15
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:47) correct 46% (02:28) wrong based on 143 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The number of automobile thefts has declined steadily during the past five years, and it is more likely now than it was five years ago that someone who steals a car will be convicted of the crime.

Which one of the following, if true, most helps to explain the facts cited above?

(A) Although there are fewer car thieves now than there were five years ago, the proportion of thieves who tend to abandon cars before their owners notice that they have been stolen has also decreased.

(B) Car alarms are more common than they were five years ago, but their propensity to be triggered in the absence of any criminal activity has resulted in people generally ignoring them when they are triggered.

(C) An upsurge in home burglaries over the last five years has required police departments to divert limited resources to investigation of these cases.

(D) Because of the increasingly lucrative market for stolen automobile parts, many stolen cars are quickly disassembled and the parts are sold to various buyers across the country.

(E) There are more adolescent car thieves now than there were five years ago, and the sentences given to young criminals tend to be far more lenient than those given to adult criminals.

LSAT

_________________

Non progredi est regredi

examPAL Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 841
Re: The number of automobile thefts has declined steadily during the past  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2018, 21:29
1
Akela wrote:
The number of automobile thefts has declined steadily during the past five years, and it is more likely now than it was five years ago that someone who steals a car will be convicted of the crime.

Which one of the following, if true, most helps to explain the facts cited above?

(A) Although there are fewer car thieves now than there were five years ago, the proportion of thieves who tend to abandon cars before their owners notice that they have been stolen has also decreased.

(B) Car alarms are more common than they were five years ago, but their propensity to be triggered in the absence of any criminal activity has resulted in people generally ignoring them when they are triggered.

(C) An upsurge in home burglaries over the last five years has required police departments to divert limited resources to investigation of these cases.

(D) Because of the increasingly lucrative market for stolen automobile parts, many stolen cars are quickly disassembled and the parts are sold to various buyers across the country.

(E) There are more adolescent car thieves now than there were five years ago, and the sentences given to young criminals tend to be far more lenient than those given to adult criminals.

LSAT


Let's break down our passage:
Fact 1: the number of thefts has declined steadily (over past 5 years)
Fact 2: it is more likely that a theft today will end in a conviction (as opposed to 5 yrs ago)

As we don't have sufficient information to infer a possible explanation, we'll look to our answers.
(A) Although there are fewer car thieves now than there were five years ago, the proportion of thieves who tend to abandon cars before their owners notice that they have been stolen has also decreased. This is a bit flimsy but could work - less thieves means less theft; thieves sticking with the car longer might result in more conviction due to a better police response. Let's check the other options.

(B) Car alarms are more common than they were five years ago, but their propensity to be triggered in the absence of any criminal activity has resulted in people generally ignoring them when they are triggered. If people ignore car alarms, there is no reason to expect either Fact 1 or Fact 2 to occur. No.

(C) An upsurge in home burglaries over the last five years has required police departments to divert limited resources to investigation of these cases. This makes Fact 1 and 2 less likely, not more likely. No.

(D) Because of the increasingly lucrative market for stolen automobile parts, many stolen cars are quickly disassembled and the parts are sold to various buyers across the country. Similarly to (C) this is the opposite of what we need. No.

(E) There are more adolescent car thieves now than there were five years ago, and the sentences given to young criminals tend to be far more lenient than those given to adult criminals. This could help explain Fact 2 as adolescent thieves might be less careful and are more easily convicted, but does not relate to Fact 1. No.

(A) is the only possible option and is therefore our answer.
_________________

Image
Sign up for 7-day free trial
Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Jul 2018
Posts: 1
Re: The number of automobile thefts has declined steadily during the past  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 11:21
1
If the proportion of thieves who abandon cars before their owners notice that they have been stolen has decreased, it means that those who still retain it has increased due to which the Police would be able to catch the thieves along with property(Car) and thus the thieves would be convicted.
Earlier since the cars would more likely be abandoned/dismantled, the police could not easily convict the thief due to lack of proof.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: The best is yet to come.....
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 499
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The number of automobile thefts has declined steadily during the past  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2018, 22:23
Akela wrote:
The number of automobile thefts has declined steadily during the past five years, and it is more likely now than it was five years ago that someone who steals a car will be convicted of the crime.

Which one of the following, if true, most helps to explain the facts cited above?

(A) Although there are fewer car thieves now than there were five years ago, the proportion of thieves who tend to abandon cars before their owners notice that they have been stolen has also decreased.

(B) Car alarms are more common than they were five years ago, but their propensity to be triggered in the absence of any criminal activity has resulted in people generally ignoring them when they are triggered.

(C) An upsurge in home burglaries over the last five years has required police departments to divert limited resources to investigation of these cases.

(D) Because of the increasingly lucrative market for stolen automobile parts, many stolen cars are quickly disassembled and the parts are sold to various buyers across the country.

(E) There are more adolescent car thieves now than there were five years ago, and the sentences given to young criminals tend to be far more lenient than those given to adult criminals.

LSAT


Let, five years ago the number of thieves was 100 and if the proportion of thieves who tend to abandon cars before their owners notice was 40%, the likelihood of conviction of crime was 60%.

Now again let, the number of thieves is decreased to 10 and if the proportion of thieves who tend to abandon cars before their owners notice is decreased to 20%, the likelihood of conviction of crime would be 80%, a percentage more than that of five years ago.

So, correct answer would be A.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Hasan Mahmud

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The number of automobile thefts has declined steadily during the past &nbs [#permalink] 04 Oct 2018, 22:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The number of automobile thefts has declined steadily during the past

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.