It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 14:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The owners of a fast growing tech start-up in Newport Beach

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
The owners of a fast growing tech start-up in Newport Beach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2014, 02:55
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

53% (01:16) correct 47% (01:21) wrong based on 389 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The owners of a fast growing tech start-up in Newport Beach organized the firm as a Limited Liability Company (LLC). The owners receive considerable personal liability protection from potential lawsuits, and they also avoid some egregious double-taxation that would occur if the company was set up as a C-corporation.
A)protection from potential lawsuits, and they also avoid some egregious double-taxation that would occur if the company was set up as a C-corporation
B)protection from potential lawsuits and avoid some egregious double-taxation that would occur if the company was set up as a C-corporation
C)protection from potential lawsuits, avoiding some egregious double-taxation that would occur if the company was set up as a C-corporation
D)protection from potential lawsuits, and avoid some egregious double-taxation that would occur if the company were set up as a C-corporation
E)protection from potential lawsuits and avoid some egregious double-taxation that would occur if the company were set up as a C-corporation
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern
Re: The owners of a fast growing tech start-up in Newport Beach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2014, 02:57
From 'Platinum GMAT'.

Could someone please comment on the difference between D and E. When do we need to use a comma before AND? Thank you
Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2014, 06:37
i picked up E and honestly the difference between D and E is not of make or break ,at least not the one that gmat will ever test !!
we can argue that comma + AND construction must introduce an independent clause but that is not true .for instance this sentence is perfect : he brought coffee at the store,which just reopened yesterday after a fire ,and played tennis at the club.
manhattan suggests that we can use comma with AND when clauses are big enough .so all i can say that this question is not gmat types !!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
B
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE: Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2014, 03:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is not a great question reflecting correct GMAT structure, but I picked the right answer anyway so let me share my reasoning.

According to the GMAT, if the mood of the sentence is subjunctive (hypothetical situation), you need to use "were" in conjunction with the subject.

(A) protection from potential lawsuits, and they also avoid some egregious double-taxation that would occur if the company was set up as a C-corporation
-> Since the sentence reflects what were to occur *if* something happened, this is a hypothetical situation in which "were" should be used. WRONG

B) protection from potential lawsuits and avoid some egregious double-taxation that would occur if the company was set up as a C-corporation
-> this is a hypothetical situation in which "were" should be used. "was" is used. WRONG

C)protection from potential lawsuits, avoiding some egregious double-taxation that would occur if the company was set up as a C-corporation
-> this is a hypothetical situation in which "were" should be used. "was" is used. WRONG

D)protection from potential lawsuits, and avoid some egregious double-taxation that would occur if the company were set up as a C-corporation
-> Misplaced Comma

E)protection from potential lawsuits and avoid some egregious double-taxation that would occur if the company were set up as a C-corporation
-> Correct usage of "were" and no comma - CORRECT.

Hope this helps! :) Please give a "Kudos" if you found my post useful.

Follow my blog: My Journey to Business School

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2014, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS
In GMAT and regular grammar, when you use 'and' to list out items, use the following structure.

two items: item1 and item2
more than two items: item1, item2, .. , and itemN

Obviously unlike this question, GMAT questions will have other differences to figure out.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '18
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Design (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2014, 21:08
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/use-of-comma-and-t14975.html

This should make it clear. Hope this helps.

Usage of and+comma.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2014, 01:35
Isn't comma advised before and when the phrases being compared are long ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2014, 08:25
gauravkaushik8591 wrote:
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/use-of-comma-and-t14975.html

This should make it clear. Hope this helps.

Usage of and+comma.

Considering the link you just supplied, aren't we actually listing two things that the founders will get out of llc?
they get protection, and tax breaks....

thoughts?
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.27

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2015, 01:33
aditya8062 wrote:
i picked up E and honestly the difference between D and E is not of make or break ,at least not the one that gmat will ever test !!
we can argue that comma + AND construction must introduce an independent clause but that is not true .for instance this sentence is perfect : he brought coffee at the store,which just reopened yesterday after a fire ,and played tennis at the club.
manhattan suggests that we can use comma with AND when clauses are big enough .so all i can say that this question is not gmat types !!

WWWW , sssssssss , and played tennis. This does not follow comma + and rule since the comma before 'and' comes from the additional information modifier ,ssss,

he is singing song,standing on the desk, which is bad.
This does not follow comma+ which format which hence does not modify immediate noun desk,,,hence bad doesn't modify desk.
It follows : he is singing song which is bad. Hence bad modifies song.

Hope you are not confused!!
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.27

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2015, 01:34
aditya8062 wrote:

WWWW , sssssssss , and played tennis. This does not follow comma + and rule since the comma before 'and' comes from the additional information modifier ,ssss,

he is singing song,standing on the desk, which is bad.
This does not follow comma+ which format which hence does not modify immediate noun desk,,,hence bad doesn't modify desk.
It follows : he is singing song which is bad. Hence bad modifies song.

Hope you are not confused!!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.7
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2016, 00:28
This post received
KUDOS
virinchiwiwo wrote:
The owners of a fast growing tech start-up in Newport Beach organized the firm as a Limited Liability Company (LLC). The owners receive considerable personal liability protection from potential lawsuits, and they also avoid some egregious double-taxation that would occur if the company was set up as a C-corporation.
A)protection from potential lawsuits, and they also avoid some egregious double-taxation that would occur if the company was set up as a C-corporation
B)protection from potential lawsuits and avoid some egregious double-taxation that would occur if the company was set up as a C-corporation

I dont think this is a 700 level question and the gmat never ever writes sentences wherein you are supposed to eliminate answers based on a single point. This would be more of a 600 level question.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2018, 09:09
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The owners of a fast growing tech start-up in Newport Beach   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2018, 09:09

The owners of a fast growing tech start-up in Newport Beach

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap