Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [4]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [4]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 445 [1]
Given Kudos: 725
Schools: NUS '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2299 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: The People's Republic of China, having 1.3 billion people [#permalink]
Kudos
My answer is (C). It took me 01:23.

"having 1.3 billion people" or "with 1.3 billion people"? I have bias against each of them. For "having 1.3 billion people", I wonder whether a country can reasonably have retain the ability to have something. For "with 1.3 billion people", I fear that it might be misinterpreted to mean "The county is considered an emerging superpower together with 1.3 billion people". Its meaning is not entirely correct.

It seems that this sentence writer has no qualms using either "having ..." or "with ...". So I just accept that either is okay.

(A) Not a sentence. It might be "considered itself an emerging superpower" or "is considered an emerging superpower".

(B) The subjunctive mood ("would have been") cannot be justified: It indicates that China was actually not considered a superpower in the past. Such indication might be factually correct but such knowledge is out of the scope for GMAT test takers. Naturally, a county of 1.3 billion people can aptly be described as a superpower, not would have been.

(C) No evident issues. Keep for now.

(D) “and many of them live” is an independent clause. We expect to see IC1 + Comma + FANBOYS + IC2. But there is no IC1 in this version.

(E) "have been considered" is not in agreement in number with "The People's Republic of China" (Singular)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [1]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Kudos
The People's Republic of China, having 1.3 billion people, with many of them living in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often considered an emerging superpower.

A) having 1.3 billion people, with many of them living in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often considered -> We have a verb missing here. ....often has been considered..." can be an example. Further, "with many of them" can be said as "many". Incorrect.

B) having 1.3 billion people, many living in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often would have been considered -> would have been hints for subjunctive mood, which is incorrect in this case. Incorrect.

C) with 1.3 billion people, many living in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often has been considered -> We have a main verb and we are talking about "1.3 billion people" as "many living in....". It makes sense. Let's keep it.

D) with 1.3 billion people, and many of them live in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often has been considered -> If we are talking about "1.3 billion people" then why we don't need "and". Incorrect.

E) with 1.3 billion people, with many living in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often have been considered -> have been is incorrect as subject is singular (The People's Republic of China). Incorrect.

So, I think C. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [1]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The People's Republic of China, having 1.3 billion people, with many of them living in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often considered an emerging superpower.

A) having 1.3 billion people, with many of them living in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often considered
The wording can be 'is ' considered not just 'often considered' therefore out

B) having 1.3 billion people, many living in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often would have been considered
'would have considered' sparks of wrong meaning , China wan't considered for the elegibility in the past not the case therefore out

C) with 1.3 billion people, many living in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often has been considered
The meaning is fine no immediate issue let us hang on to this

D) with 1.3 billion people, and many of them live in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often has been considered
and usage in the middle isn't appropriate since independent clause 1 is missing

E) with 1.3 billion people, with many living in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often have been considered
The PRC is singular therefore 'have' shouldn't be used

THerefore IMO C
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kungfury42 wrote:
generis wrote:

A) having 1.3 billion people, with many of them living in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often considered

B) having 1.3 billion people, many living in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often would have been considered

C) with 1.3 billion people, many living in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often has been considered

D) with 1.3 billion people, and many of them live in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often has been considered

E) with 1.3 billion people, with many living in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often have been considered

A) Option A has a "be" verb missing with "often considered". It should've been something like "is often considered" (simple present, meaning China is routinely considered an emerging superpower) or "has been often considered" (present perfect, meaning China was considered an emerging superpower until some time in recent past, but then presumably something happened). As it is we cannot accept this option without the "be" verb. Eliminate option A.

B) "often would have been considered" is a conditional tense and in the context of this usage makes for an incomplete sentence. "China often would have been considered an emerging superpower" if it has been doing what? Eliminate B.

C) "often has been considered" is a correct usage as discussed in option A above. Perfect, most likely our answer

D) We should prefer present continuous over simple present here. Live should be replaced with living. Eliminate option D.

E) The republic of China with 1.3 billion people is a singular noun even though it represents a collection of people. Therefore, "have been considered" is wrong and singular verb "has been considered" should be used. Eliminate option E.

Hence, option C is our answer.

Some doubts:

1. I am honestly not convinced why live is wrong in option C, because both the sentences, "I live in the countryside" and "I am living in the countryside" are correct and convey the same meaning. Can anybody explain?

kungfury42 , I'll post the OE soon.
I'm not sure that I understand your question, but perhaps if I place option D into the sentence, option D's bizarre structure will be more evident.
I'll color code the parts of speech.

The People's Republic of China, with 1.3 billion people, and many of them live in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often has been considered an emerging superpower.

Choice (D) has an odd and clumsy structure, this way:

[noun] [noun modifier] and [independent clause], [verb]
This is not a correct structure. We can’t have a full independent clause come between a subject (The People's Republic of China) and a verb (has been considered).

I hope that answer helps a bit.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 445 [0]
Given Kudos: 725
Schools: NUS '25 (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
generis wrote:
kungfury42 wrote:
generis wrote:

A) Option A has a "be" verb missing with "often considered". It should've been something like "is often considered" (simple present, meaning China is routinely considered an emerging superpower) or "has been often considered" (present perfect, meaning China was considered an emerging superpower until some time in recent past, but then presumably something happened). As it is we cannot accept this option without the "be" verb. Eliminate option A.

B) "often would have been considered" is a conditional tense and in the context of this usage makes for an incomplete sentence. "China often would have been considered an emerging superpower" if it has been doing what? Eliminate B.

C) "often has been considered" is a correct usage as discussed in option A above. Perfect, most likely our answer

D) We should prefer present continuous over simple present here. Live should be replaced with living. Eliminate option D.

E) The republic of China with 1.3 billion people is a singular noun even though it represents a collection of people. Therefore, "have been considered" is wrong and singular verb "has been considered" should be used. Eliminate option E.

Hence, option C is our answer.

Some doubts:

1. I am honestly not convinced why live is wrong in option C, because both the sentences, "I live in the countryside" and "I am living in the countryside" are correct and convey the same meaning. Can anybody explain?

kungfury42 , I'll post the OE soon.
I'm not sure that I understand your question, but perhaps if I place option D into the sentence, option D's bizarre structure will be more evident.
I'll color code the parts of speech.

The People's Republic of China, with 1.3 billion people, and many of them live in outlying rural areas far to the west of Beijing, often has been considered an emerging superpower.

Choice (D) has an odd and clumsy structure, this way:

[noun] [noun modifier] and [independent clause], [verb]
This is not a correct structure. We can’t have a full independent clause come between a subject (The People's Republic of China) and a verb (has been considered).

I hope that answer helps a bit.

This is incredibly helpful. Thanks a lot for providing a detailed explanation Generis. Helps me understand this in a much better way.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
You can find the official explanation by clicking here.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts