GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 23:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The pharmaceutical companies have announced new

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '18
GMAT Date: 03-17-2015
Premium Member
The pharmaceutical companies have announced new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2015, 11:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

85% (00:45) correct 15% (01:20) wrong based on 124 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The pharmaceutical companies have announced new strategies to increase the number of new drugs in their development pipelines in that they will create strategic partnerships with small biotechnology firms.

a) to increase the number of new drugs in their development pipelines in that they will create
b) to increase in their development pipelines the number of new drugs by the creation of
c) to increase the number of new drugs in their development pipelines by creating
d) for increasing the number of new drugs in their development pipelines, and creating
e) for increasing the number of new development pipeline drugs in the creation of
Manager
Manager
Premium Member
Re: The pharmaceutical companies have announced new  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 04:35
doesn't this question carry two different meanings?

i.e.The pharmaceutical companies have announced new strategies to increase the number of new drugs in their development pipelines in that they will create strategic partnerships with small biotechnology firms.

or

The pharmaceutical companies have announced new strategies to increase the number of new drugs in their development pipelines in that they will create strategic partnerships with small biotechnology firms.

Am I going too deep or I have misinterpreted the question??
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 05:09

a) to increase the number of new drugs in their development pipelines in that they will create
slightly wordy because of the usage of in that... generally 'in that' works slightly similar to 'because'
b) to increase in their development pipelines the number of new drugs by the creation of
the sentence construction is awkward
c) to increase the number of new drugs in their development pipelines by creating
correct
d) for increasing the number of new drugs in their development pipelines, and creating
wrongly parallels increasing and creating
e) for increasing the number of new development pipeline drugs in the creation of

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 07:34
C for me too.

Small explanation on "because vs in that".

Chetan2u and I are alike in that we both have great sense of humor.
- CORRECT

Chetan2u and I are alike because we both have great sense of humor.
- INCORRECT

In that - Means cause is only certain way of its effect.
Because - Simple cause and effect relationship. Cause is the reason of effect.

On the way ..
- Alok K G.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 12:20
chetan2u

Hi chetan clear and crisp explanation
Just wanted to understand the red part highlighted in the question below :

If we remove "in that" from the sentence does "they" refer to the correct antecedent ??i.e pipelines ??
and will this option be chosen over the correct one ?

slightly wordy because of the usage of in that... generally 'in that' works slightly similar to 'because'

Kindly correct me if i have mentioned something wrong

Regards
SG
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 17:16
"in that they will create" is wordy and generates ambiguity in the sentence. C is true.
Manager
Manager
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 21:12
chetan2u wrote:

correct
wrongly parallels increasing and creating

hey chetan2u

how it is wrongly paralleled "increasing and creating" in D?
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 04:41
smartyguy wrote:
chetan2u

Hi chetan clear and crisp explanation
Just wanted to understand the red part highlighted in the question below :

If we remove "in that" from the sentence does "they" refer to the correct antecedent ??i.e pipelines ??
and will this option be chosen over the correct one ?

Kindly correct me if i have mentioned something wrong

Regards
SG

hi SG,
no SG it will not be preferred over the original answer due to the following reasons...
a) to increase the number of new drugs in their development pipelines in that they will create..
the usage of 'in that' tells us that they will create x,y in the new strategies... in that refers to in new strategies...

now if we remove 'in that' and we put this in the complete sentence...
The pharmaceutical companies have announced new strategies to increase the number of new drugs in their development pipelines they will create strategic partnerships with small biotechnology firms.
in this sentence, it does not mean the same now. it seems 'development pipelines they will create'.... the two portion The pharmaceutical companies have announced new strategies to increase the number of new drugs in their development pipelines and they will create strategic partnerships with small biotechnology firms. requires something to join the two.. otherwise it seems a case of run on sentence

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 10:19
rajthakkar wrote:
doesn't this question carry two different meanings?

i.e.The pharmaceutical companies have announced new strategies to increase the number of new drugs in their development pipelines in that they will create strategic partnerships with small biotechnology firms.

or

To me, it was not clear what "two meanings" you are referring to. Can you elaborate a bit. To me the meaning is:

The pharmaceutical companies want to increase the number of new drugs in their development pipelines. To achieve this objective, these companies are creating strategic partnerships with small biotechnology firms.

Other than this meaning, what else could it mean?
Manager
Manager
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 10:31
Can't we construe "to" as the doer of announce instead of the doer of strategies?

Reason of announcement of strategies is to increase the number of new drugs....

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2015, 08:49
rajthakkar wrote:
Can't we construe "to" as the doer of announce instead of the doer of strategies?

Reason of announcement of strategies is to increase the number of new drugs....

I am sure you would agree that this interpretation is not very "logical", because "announcement" cannot increase the number of new drugs; "strategies" can obviously increase the number of new drugs.

However, if your concern is that there is still an ambiguity, then at least for this question, it is still not a deal breaker, because all the five answer choices can be interpreted that way.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2018, 23:46
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: The pharmaceutical companies have announced new &nbs [#permalink] 02 Jul 2018, 23:46

The pharmaceutical companies have announced new

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap