Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [49]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [17]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [5]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
Re: The presence of blue-green algae blooms i [#permalink]
Kudos
daagh wrote:
The presence of blue-green algae blooms in Lake Erie has disrupted regular water supply for over 400,000 people in Ohio, their numbers increasing to hazardous levels as a result of polluted runoff from industries and farmlands and warm temperatures.

A) increasing to hazardous levels
B) are increasing to hazardous levels
C) were increased to hazardous levels and
D) have increased to hazardous levels
E) increasing to hazardous levels and

Sourced from RSSing.com - neither OA nor OE is available. - open to a wide discussion and consensus. The deferred OA is not the official one

what is wrong with D here? could not understand why A was chosen over D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
aditya201819 wrote:
daagh wrote:
The presence of blue-green algae blooms in Lake Erie has disrupted regular water supply for over 400,000 people in Ohio, their numbers increasing to hazardous levels as a result of polluted runoff from industries and farmlands and warm temperatures.

Sourced from RSSing.com - neither OA nor OE is available. - open to a wide discussion and consensus. The deferred OA is not the official one

what is wrong with D here? could not understand why A was chosen over D

I also chose D as the correct answer but now i realized if we put D in the original sentence the whole sentence becomes a run on sentence. Both the clauses are separated only by a comma(have increased will become the verb). If we use verb+ing it modifies the sentence and doesn't form a runon sentence.

Please correct me if i m wrong
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
sudarshan22 hazelnut GMATNinja sir Kindly guide why Option D is incorrect here and why Option A is correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [1]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
Kudos
vasuca10 wrote:
sudarshan22 hazelnut GMATNinja sir Kindly guide why Option D is incorrect here and why Option A is correct

Hi,

Though I am not one of the experts that you tagged, I can still shed some light on why option D is incorrect. Option D is a full independent clause with a subject and a verb. We cannot have two independent clause joined by merely a comma as this would be classified as a run-on sentence. Option A on the other hand is an absolute phrase and is neat and succinct. Please do make a note on this as there are several OG questions out there where a trap answer is similar to option B/C/D (full clause joined only by a comma) and the correct answer is similar to option A (absolute phrase).

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [1]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
The presence of blue-green algae blooms i [#permalink]
Kudos
daagh wrote:

Hi,
This is such a classic FANBOYS example. Since the second clause/modifier, "their.....temperatures", is in a non underlined portion of the sentence, we can ignore the options trying to make it an independent clause. So, B,C, & D are out. Between A & E, E uses "and", which is a parallel marker and meaning less here.

Hence, A is correct.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
Doer01 wrote:
daagh wrote:

Hi,
This is such a classic FANBOYS example. Since the second clause/modifier, "their.....temperatures", is in a non underlined portion of the sentence, we can ignore the options trying to make it an independent clause. So, B,C, & D are out. Between A & E, E uses "and", which is a parallel marker and meaning less here.

Hence, A is correct.

so, we use A or E because we are describing, a situation (increase in numbers) that happened in the first clause, with the second clause here ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Shrey9 wrote:
Doer01 wrote:
daagh wrote:

Hi,

Hence, A is correct.

so, we use A or E because we are describing, a situation (increase in numbers) that happened in the first clause, with the second clause here ?

Hi,
I wouldn’t say describing. Its more of a consequence/event to result sequence.
Something happens in the lake and resulted in something else.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Hi,

I found the usage of "their" here a bit ambiguous in terms of its modified entity. can someone explain how to resolve this?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
MoulikaSaxena wrote:
Hi,

I found the usage of "their" here a bit ambiguous in terms of its modified entity. can someone explain how to resolve this?

Alga is the singular noun and requires a singular verb

Algae is the plural form and requires a plural verb
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Abhishek009 wrote:
MoulikaSaxena wrote:
Hi,

Alga is the singular noun and requires a singular verb

Algae is the plural form and requires a plural verb

Posted from my mobile device

No I meant it seems like their is referring to presence and not algae
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Schools: Bocconi (WA)
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
The presence of blue-green algae blooms i [#permalink]
daagh wrote:

Hello

I rejected B, C, D as it was leading to a sentence running into a sentence (run-on). Between A and E, I chose A because of the wrong usage of and.

Hope my explanation helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
AndrewN

why is D not correct ??I marked A as an answer after reading the sentence twice but now when I am reviewing it, I find it difficult to eliminate D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
warrior1991 wrote:
AndrewN

why is D not correct ??I marked A as an answer after reading the sentence twice but now when I am reviewing it, I find it difficult to eliminate D

Hello, warrior1991. (A) is the only defendable answer, since it is the one that correctly incorporates what is known as an absolute phrase, the ambiguous their notwithstanding. These questions give GMAT™ aspirants plenty of grief, from what I have observed on the forum. My guess is that the problem lies in the phrase itself appearing to be an aborted clause. However, an absolute phrase modifies the whole sentence and should be missing a main verb in the following structure:

[noun] + [participle] + [optional modifiers or objects]

Answer choices (B), (C), and (D) all place a verb after numbers, creating what is known as a comma splice—a grammatically incorrect sentence in which a comma stands in for a period or semicolon. That is, you cannot join two independent clauses with nothing more than a comma (i.e. without a conjunction). Thus, the only grammatical sentences are (A) and (E). Between the two, the latter part of (E), the and, should make it an easy elimination.

I do not think the sentence would appear as is on the GMAT™, but you should know how to identify an absolute phrase, since, again, they pop up now and again in 700-level questions.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew

Thank you so much. It is very helpful when you chip in quickly after I tag you. Thanks for answering to all my queries so far. I have learnt a lot from your explanations.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
warrior1991 wrote:
Thank you so much. It is very helpful when you chip in quickly after I tag you. Thanks for answering to all my queries so far. I have learnt a lot from your explanations.

That is great to hear. I like to offer my thoughts whenever I can, and this day finds me with a little more time on my hands. (Just luck of the draw.) Still, I do aim to reply whenever I am tagged, whether the question is of higher quality, reasonable quality (like this one), or dubious quality (so that I point out what I feel is lacking in the sentence for everyone to appreciate).

Keep working through questions little by little, study what makes them tick. More and more questions will not make you better, but grasping the underpinnings of a few questions has broad application.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts