It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 11:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The product of the units digit, the tens digit, and the

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 142

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 5

The product of the units digit, the tens digit, and the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2009, 00:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

The product of the units digit, the tens digit, and the hundreds digit of the positive integer m is 96.
What is the units digit of m?
(1) m is odd.
(2) The hundreds digit of m is 8.
A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
C. BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is
sufficient.
D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 136

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 40

GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Re: DS- sets [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2009, 02:39
vageesh wrote:
The product of the units digit, the tens digit, and the hundreds digit of the positive integer m is 96.
What is the units digit of m?
(1) m is odd.
(2) The hundreds digit of m is 8.
A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
C. BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is
sufficient.
D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient


96=1. 3 . 32
the units digit(a), the tens digit(b), and the hundreds (c)
(1) m is odd: the units digit could be 1 or 3 but if it was 1, bc=96 so it doesn't happen because bc=< 9*9=81 So (1) is sufficient
(2) c=8, so ab=12 => (2) is insufficient

A

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 40

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Posts: 238

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: DS- sets [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2009, 16:48
96=> 2^5*3
So, we know that m will consist of even and odd numbers.

smnt 1 - suffic., because only 3 is odd in m
stmnt2 - not suffic., because both units and tens digits could either be 3 or 2^2.

Answer: A.

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 136

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 10

Schools: Kellogg (R1 Dinged),Cornell (R2), Emory(Interview Scheduled), IESE (R1 Interviewed), ISB (Interviewed), LBS (R2), Vanderbilt (R3 Interviewed)
Re: DS- sets [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2009, 04:49
vageesh wrote:
The product of the units digit, the tens digit, and the hundreds digit of the positive integer m is 96.
What is the units digit of m?
(1) m is odd.
(2) The hundreds digit of m is 8.
A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient.
B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient.
C. BOTH statements TOGETHER are sufficient, but NEITHER statement ALONE is
sufficient.
D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient.
E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient


A.

Product of three digits is 96. Here all these digits must be single digit.
=> the combinations can be 4, 3, 8 OR 2,6,8, OR 4,6,4
1. m is odd
The only option is m=3
Hence Sufficient
2. The hundreds digit of m is 8
=> Unit digit can be 4 or 3
Hence not sufficient

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 136

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 10

Schools: Kellogg (R1 Dinged),Cornell (R2), Emory(Interview Scheduled), IESE (R1 Interviewed), ISB (Interviewed), LBS (R2), Vanderbilt (R3 Interviewed)
Re: DS- sets [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2009, 04:55
DavidArchuleta wrote:
peraspera wrote:
96=> 2^5*3
So, we know that m will consist of even and odd numbers.

smnt 1 - suffic., because only 3 is odd in m
stmnt2 - not suffic., because both units and tens digits could either be 3 or 2^2.

Answer: A.

peraspera wrote:
96=> 2^5*3


smnt 1 - suffic., because only 3 is odd in m

Answer: A.


1 is odd too.


1 can not be unit digit of m. As, if this is the case then there are no other two single digits whose product will be 96. Hence, the product of unit, tenth and hundredth cannot be 96

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 10

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 136

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 40

GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Re: DS- sets [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2009, 07:50
bandit wrote:
DavidArchuleta wrote:
peraspera wrote:
96=> 2^5*3
So, we know that m will consist of even and odd numbers.

smnt 1 - suffic., because only 3 is odd in m
stmnt2 - not suffic., because both units and tens digits could either be 3 or 2^2.

Answer: A.

peraspera wrote:
96=> 2^5*3


smnt 1 - suffic., because only 3 is odd in m

Answer: A.


1 is odd too.


1 can not be unit digit of m. As, if this is the case then there are no other two single digits whose product will be 96. Hence, the product of unit, tenth and hundredth cannot be 96

I know :P I just want to make the solution perfect :P

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 40

Re: DS- sets   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2009, 07:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The product of the units digit, the tens digit, and the

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.