GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 08:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The recent photographs of the giant squid are remarkable because they

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
The recent photographs of the giant squid are remarkable because they [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Feb 2017, 10:36
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:14) correct 48% (01:04) wrong based on 140 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

WWW.majortests.com

The recent photographs of the giant squid are remarkable because they show these enormous living creatures as moving around in their natural environment, whereas previous pictures have been of only dead animals.

A. because they show these living creatures as moving around in their
B. in that they show this most enormous of living creatures moving around in its
C. in that they show this enormous living creature moving around in its
D. because these enormous living creatures are shown to be moving around in their
E. because they show this enormous living creature moving around in a

Official PS Practice Questions
Press +1 Kudos if this post is helpful

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: The recent photographs of the giant squid are remarkable because they [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2017, 17:12
SajjadAhmad wrote:
http://WWW.majortests.com

The recent photographs of the giant squid are remarkable because they show these enormous living creatures as moving around in their natural environment, whereas previous pictures have been of only dead animals.

B. in that they show this most enormous of living creatures moving around in its
D. because these enormous living creatures are shown to be moving around in their

Dear SajjadAhmad,

I'm happy to respond. :-) This is an atrocious SC practice question.

Both the "because they show" and "in that they show" are valid constructions. Two different beginnings of the prompts that are both correct: this is one of the few positive features of this question.

Two mistakes. (1) "show X as moving" is a horribly awkward construction; (2) pronoun error "their"

Clearly changes the meaning--the squid is large, but not necessarily the largest living creature. This is easy to eliminate.

Elegant, well-written, mistake-free. This is a promising choice.

wordy, indirect, awkward. Easy to eliminate

Not bad until the very un-GMAT-like mistake at the end, substituting the possessive pronoun in the other choices for an indefinite article! It is astounding how un-GMAT-like this move is!

This is an extremely low GMAT SC question. Choices (A), (B), (D), and (E) would be relatively easy for most native speakers to eliminate.

If the goal of this question were to provide practice and preparation for the real GMAT, it fails spectacularly. Toward that end, as a professional question writer, I would give the writer a grade of D for this question.

On the other hand, if this question were a kind of intermediate practice for non-native speakers--if it were understood that this were a kind of question that were practiced as one built up to the real GMAT--then I could see this adequately serving the needs of people in that intermediate situation. No native English speaker should waste any time with this question, and practice with questions of this calibre would adequately prepare anyone for the GMAT.

Here's a high quality GMAT SC practice question:
With American cryptanalysts

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
B
The recent photographs of the giant squid are remarkable because they [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 10:59
Hi Mike,

I have a doubt , how "in that they" usage is correct....
"in that" is modifying pictures and being a prepositional phrase should be placed next to pictures, because
usage of prepositional modifier: "adjective or adverbial"
here "in that" is used as an adjective modifier
pl correct where my understanding is going wrong

and you are right, this questions is not gmat standard,
so if gmat uses somewhat this type of construction in better way:
gmat will prefer "because" or "in that"?

-----------
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: The recent photographs of the giant squid are remarkable because they [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2017, 11:38
fizi wrote:
Hi Mike,

I have a doubt , how "in that they" usage is correct....
"in that" is modifying pictures and being a prepositional phrase should be placed next to pictures, because
usage of prepositional modifier: "adjective or adverbial"
here "in that" is used as an adjective modifier
pl correct where my understanding is going wrong

and you are right, this questions is not gmat standard,
so if gmat uses somewhat this type of construction in better way:
gmat will prefer "because" or "in that"?

Dear fizi,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, let's be clear--this is a low quality question, so digging into all of it may not be helpful Nevertheless, the OA is reasonably well-written. Here's the OA:

The recent photographs of the giant squid are remarkable in that they show this enormous living creature moving around in its natural environment, whereas previous pictures have been of only dead animals.

Now, my friend, you need to understand the difference between noun modifiers (also known as adjectival modifiers) vs. verb modifiers (also known as adverbial modifiers).

A noun modifier plays the role of an adjective: it describes the noun and helps to identify it.

A verb modifiers plays the role of an adverb: it modifies the action of a verb, answering a question such as: how? why? when? where?

Only noun modifiers are subject to the Modifier Touch Rule. The Modifier Touch Rule is 100% irrelevant to verb modifiers.

Now, think about the "in that" phrase in this sentence. Consider this truncated sentence:
The recent photographs of the giant squid are remarkable.
In a way, that sentence leaves us hanging. We want to know why are these photos remarkable? The "in that" clause provides a reason: it answers a "why" question. Thus, it is a verb modifier, modifying the action of the verb & adjective. It is not a noun modifier, so it does not need to be touching the noun, and verb modifiers are subject to the Modifier Touch Rule anyway.

Finally, I would suggest not looking at "in that" as a prepositional phrase. This is an idiomatic construction used to indicate a relationship of causality. See:
GMAT Idioms: Cause and Consequence

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2017, 11:15
Thanks Mike Sir,

my doubt is clear ,"in that" is acting as a adverbial modifier :)
Re: The recent photographs of the giant squid are remarkable because they   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2017, 11:15

The recent photographs of the giant squid are remarkable because they

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap