GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2019, 23:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The recently discovered planet Kepler-90i was found via machine learni

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior SC Moderator
V
The recently discovered planet Kepler-90i was found via machine learni  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 22:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:56) correct 26% (01:44) wrong based on 174 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 181: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The recently discovered planet Kepler-90i was found via machine learning, a form of artificial intelligence in which the identification of planets learned by computers is done from data by finding in the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets beyond our solar system, known as exoplanets.

A) the identification of planets learned by computers is done from data by finding in the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets

B) computers learn to identify planets by finding in the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets

C) computers learn to identify planets by finding in data from the Kepler telescope instances of the planet’s recorded signals from

D) computers learn to identify planets by finding in data from the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets

E) the identification of planets is learned by computers by finding in data from the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has -- Margaret Mead
Senior SC Moderator
V
The recently discovered planet Kepler-90i was found via machine learni  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 22:11
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Project SC Butler: Day 181: Sentence Correction (SC2)

[/b]

• HIGHLIGHTS

• Whenever you see sentences this long, look at modifiers and placement.

• Try to group the ideas. Just doodle a little. No kidding. If you are stuck, write a few nouns or noun phrases:
computers . . . identification of planets . . . data . . . telescope records signals from planets

Much more quickly than you would expect, your mind will start rearranging pieces and looking for clues. Just start.

• be careful with dismissing options that are in passive voice. Estimates of correct answers that are in the passive voice range from 15 to 40 percent.

• if you cannot figure out the meaning from the prompt, keep reading options. If you remember to keep moving, your mind will piece the correct parts together

• rough meaning: Far away planets send signals that a Kepler telescope records. From the recordings contained in the data, computers learn to identify planets and in fact recently discovered one called Kepler 90i

THE PROMPT

Quote:
The recently discovered planet Kepler-90i was found via machine learning, a form of artificial intelligence in which the identification of planets learned by computers is done from data by finding in the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets beyond our solar system, known as exoplanets.

THE OPTIONS

Quote:
A) The recently discovered planet Kepler-90i was found via machine learning, a form of artificial intelligence in which the identification of planets learned by computers is done from data by finding in the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets beyond our solar system, known as exoplanets.

• Although the phrasing is confusing, I can pick out what is wrong:
-- the identification of planets learned by computers is not clear.
Is the identification learned by computers? Or are the planets learned by computers?
-- We don't say that someone or something "learns a planet."
-- we learn to identify a planet—so we are probably looking for something such as computers learn to identify planets.
-- how do computers learn to identify planets? They use data.

• This phrasing is strange: computers find instances of recorded signals from the planets IN the telescope.
The telescope gathers data. That data must be recorded signals. In these data (and not "in" the telescope), computers could find signals from planets.
• This sentence is in passive voice
-- Because computers identify planets, it is very likely that computers should come first.
Eliminate A

Quote:
B) The recently discovered planet Kepler-90i was found via machine learning, a form of artificial intelligence in which computers learn to identify planets by finding in the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets beyond our solar system, known as exoplanets.

• Meaning is almost clear after I read B. But whatever the computers are finding . . .
• The computers are not "finding ____ in the telescope." Same problem as that in A.
Eliminate B

Quote:
C) The recently discovered planet Kepler-90i was found via machine learning, a form of artificial intelligence in which computers learn to identify planets by finding in data from the Kepler telescope instances of the planet’s recorded signals from beyond our solar system, known as exoplanets.

• the non-underlined phrase known as exoplanets is an appositive that must modify the closest possible noun. (known is an irregular past participle, a verbED.)
signals from beyond our solar system are not known as exoplanets. Wrong.
Eliminate C

Quote:
D) The recently discovered planet Kepler-90i was found via machine learning, a form of artificial intelligence in which computers learn to identify planets by finding in data from the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets beyond our solar system, known as exoplanets.

• This sentence clears up the meaning: the computers find in the data [taken] from the Kepler telescope's instances of signals from planets [that are] beyond our solar system
• The modifier at the end is correct. The planets from which the telescope gathers data are planets beyond our solar system.
KEEP

Quote:
E) The recently discovered planet Kepler-90i was found via machine learning, a form of artificial intelligence in which the identification of planets is learned by computers by finding in data from the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets beyond our solar system, known as exoplanets.

• again, just as in (A) the identification of planets precedes computers.
• computers should take the lead. Computers are an active subject. They learn to identify planets in a particular way. Option D is better.
Eliminate E

The best answer is D

• NOTES

These sentences are long. They do not contain easily-caught grammar problems.
Solve for bits and pieces..

COMMENTS
These answers range from very good to excellent.
I like the variety.
Kudos to all with correct answers and good explanations.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The recently discovered planet Kepler-90i was found via machine learni  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 00:08
A and E can be eliminated because it is in passive form.
Between B, C, D - Planets beyond our solar system is the correct usage. "from planet’s recorded signals from beyond our solar system" is awkward.
B seems to have a Typo but since D sounds correct, I eliminate B

A) the identification of planets learned by computers is done from data by finding in the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets

B) computers learn to identify planets by in in the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets beyond our solar system

C) computers learn to identify planets by finding in data from the Kepler telescope instances of the planet’s recorded signals from

D) computers learn to identify planets by finding in data from the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets

E) the identification of planets is learned by computers by finding in data from the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The recently discovered planet Kepler-90i was found via machine learni  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 04:03
generis
Something's wrong with option B.
Quote:

B) computers learn to identify planets by in in the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets beyond our solar system

A,E why do we need passive when we have active?Lets see if remaining active voice options have any errors.

Quote:

The progressive in the sentence makes the option wrong.the non underlined portion should refer to planets,But it's referring to signals.
option A No verb the identification of the planets {?verb?}learned
compare E and D. D is best.
Option D is the next best choice. no passive form .D is the answer.
We'll have to see whether option B brings surprises.
V

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 07:19
SonGoku wrote:
generis
Something's wrong with option B.

SonGoku , thank you. The option was missing the word "finding."

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has -- Margaret Mead
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 08:01
generis wrote:

B) computers learn to identify planets by finding in the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets

MEANING
Planet K was discovered via machine learning, a form of AI in which computers learn to identify planets by finding in data instances of signals from planets beyond our solar system.

What is beyond our solar system? "planets", not "planet's signals"
What do computers do? "find data from the telescope", they do not "find in the telescope data";

A) "finding in the… telescope" nonsense; "id is done from data" nonsense;
B) "finding in the… telescope" nonsense;
C) "planet’s… signals from beyond" nonsense;
E) "id is learned by computers" nonsense.

Answer (D)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 16:00
This question is very tricky. It can however be decoded when you know the roles played by various modifiers. In addition, the meaning is paramount.

Option A: The recently discovered planet Kepler-90i was found via machine learning, a form of artificial intelligence in which the identification of planets learned by computers is done from data by finding in the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets beyond our solar system, known as exoplanets. I identified two issues with option 1, and this is applicable to option E as well. The first one which is key is the wordiness of the identification of planets learned by computers. It can just be written as computers learn to identify planets, which is more concise. But I won't eliminate A based on this yet.
The second issue has to do with the modifiers. is done should be followed by by finding from data in the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets beyond our solar system, known as exoplanets. from data should be modified by in the Kepler telescope. It is not appropriate to separate them. In addition, moving by finding away from the verb is done creates an awkward sentence. Based on the second issue, I know options A and E are not correct.

Option B: The recently discovered planet Kepler-90i was found via machine learning, a form of artificial intelligence in which computers learn to identify planets by finding in the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets beyond our solar system, known as exoplanets. I will assume that the phrase beyond our solar system occurs just once. Option B misses a critical piece of information; data from. We know computers work on data. The sentence would be clearer and more meaningful if it included data from right after by finding in. As it is, the meaning is that computers identify planets by finding in the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets... It doesn't make sense for computers to find instances of recorded signals from planets in the Kepler telescope. A computer with such capability must be extremely powerful. Eliminate option B.

Option C: The recently discovered planet Kepler-90i was found via machine learning, a form of artificial intelligence in which computers learn to identify planets by finding in data from the Kepler telescope instances of the planet’s recorded signals from beyond our solar system, known as exoplanets. This option is quite tricky. But a focus on the meaning will reveal that it is incorrect. Known as exoplanets in the sentence was very key for me. The question is what is known as exoplanets? Is it the recorded signals from beyond our solar system? Definitely not. Eliminate option C.

Option D: The recently discovered planet Kepler-90i was found via machine learning, a form of artificial intelligence in which computers learn to identify planets by finding in data from the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets beyond our solar system, known as exoplanets. Option D is correct. The sequence of the modifiers is correct. Last but not the least, unlike option C, option D avoids the meaning dilemma by not using the possessive form planets. It is logical to say that ...planets beyond our solar system are known as exoplanets.
Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 16:21
Quote:

Quote:

Reason 1: The sentences are in Passive Voice.
Reason 2: Modifier issue. A form of AI in which "the identification" is not the best way to generalise AI. It has to be more general to define AI in the context.

Quote:
B) computers learn to identify planets by finding in the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets beyond our solar system

Quote:

One reason to quickly pick D is to realise "planets" are from beyond the solar system.
If not then, the other reason is to realise C just mentions one planet where as D says signals from planets. which means there are multiple planets out there.

Option D.

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 16:22
generis, Sorry for the tag. I know you have already edited the option B but it still need an edit.

B) computers learn to identify planets by finding in the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets beyond our solar system

The bold part is redundant.

Thank you!

Learn from the Legend himself: All GMAT Ninja LIVE YouTube videos by topic
You are missing on great learning if you don't know what this is: Project SC Butler
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 17:25
TheNightKing wrote:
generis, Sorry for the tag. I know you have already edited the option B but it still need an edit.

The bold part is redundant.

Thank you!

TheNightKing , thank you. Edited.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 18:34

Quick read-through reveals that the sentence primarily tests meaning. It seems that the sentence attempts to say that ML is a form of AI in which computers do something.

- Incorrect. This option is a hot mess. The identification of planets learned by computers does not make much sense. Also, it would be better to say using data rather than from data.

- Incorrect. Again, the highlighted part is a mess... Is it possible to find instances of planets in the telescope? Ugh... It is definitely possible to find new stars or planets using a telescope.

- Incorrect. The highlighted part is very confusing... Computers find instances of signals from planets is what the option really tries to convey.

- Correct. So far, this is the best option among the first four answer choices. Quick look at option (E) allows to conclude that (D) is correct.

- Incorrect. Once again, we have a hot issue with the meaning. Definitely, computers learn to identify is a much better option than the identification of planets is learned...
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 00:24

A) the identification of planets learned by computers is done from data by finding in the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets --passive voice, difficult to understand the context

B) computers learn to identify planets by finding in the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets-- what is "finding in the Kepler telescope"? what is in the telescope? a noun is missing

C) computers learn to identify planets by finding in data from the Kepler telescope instances of the planet’s recorded signals from -- confusing in the last part

D) computers learn to identify planets by finding in data from the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets --clear; understandable, easy to follow, good flow

E) the identification of planets is learned by computers by finding in data from the Kepler telescope instances of recorded signals from planets-- same as A passive

Therefore, D
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 02:03
I have posted the official explanation HERE
GMAT Club Bot
The recently discovered planet Kepler-90i was found via machine learni   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2019, 02:03

The recently discovered planet Kepler-90i was found via machine learni

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics