It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 13:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The road between town A and town B is 500 miles long. John drove direc

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2], given: 9

CAT Tests
The road between town A and town B is 500 miles long. John drove direc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 03:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (01:36) correct 63% (01:40) wrong based on 142 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The road between town A and town B is 500 miles long. John drove directly from town A to town B while Jane drove directly from town B to town A. They started driving at the same time and never broke the speed limit of 70 mph. Did Jane arrive at her destination earlier than John did?

(1) After 5 hours, they crossed paths 200 miles away from town A.
(2) Jane’s average speed was 60 mph.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The question per se is easy, but is the point made in statement (1) that John could pick up speed and Jane could slow down after they crossed path a common practice in GMAT? Is speed always expected to change if no clarifying info is given?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 08 Jan 2016, 03:56, edited 1 time in total.
RENAMED THE TOPIC.

Kudos [?]: 2 [2], given: 9

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 5473 [4], given: 112

The road between town A and town B is 500 miles long. John drove direc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 05:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
kahipz wrote:
The road between town A and town B is 500 miles long. John drove directly from town A to town B while Jane drove directly from town B to town A. They started driving at the same time and never broke the speed limit of 70 mph. Did Jane arrive at her destination earlier than John did?

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The question per se is easy, but is the point made in statement (1) that John could pick up speed and Jane could slow down after they crossed path a common practice in GMAT? Is speed always expected to change if no clarifying info is given?

Hi,
I do not think the Q, in any way, is sub-600 as the Q can not be solved in straight steps.

Quote:

YES, this will be true if it is not given that speeds are constant.

lets see the Q now..

the Q stem just tells us that the distance is 500 miles and both John and Jane are travelling towards each other and both never cross 70mph.

lets see the statements..

this tells us that john is slower than jane . jane has to travel 300miles while john has to travel just 200.
But we do not know the relative speed thereafter.. insuff

we know jane covered distance in 500/60 hr, but nothing about John.. insuff..

Combined..
Jane covers the distance in 500/60 or 8hr 20 min..
however as per statement 1, john has just travelled 200 miles in 5 hr..
can he travel the remaining at best of speed in less than 8hr 20 min-5hr..
1) if yes, then combined also insuff..
2) if no, then ans is 'yes' for Did Jane arrive at her destination earlier than John did?...suff

at 70 mph , john requires 300/70 hrs= 4hrs some 18-20 mins ..
no and therefore suff as per 2) above
ans C

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5473 [4], given: 112

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 110

GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2016, 17:16
C because even if John goes the max of 70, he will take 300/70 hours to complete the trip. That is 4.2 something hours..

4 hours + 5 hours = 9 hours..

Jane completes the trip in less than 9 hours..

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 110

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 56

Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V34
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The road between town A and town B is 500 miles long. John drove direc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2016, 06:18
This post received
KUDOS
i would highly recommend to go through this link for all speed, dist time....(the organization of data matters a lot in such questions)
distance-speed-time-word-problems-made-easy-87481.html

d s t
john 500 x 500/x a--->>-------b
jane 500 y 500/y b------<<---a
question is who reached earlier? (time taken to cover 500kms is greater for whom)

1. after 5 hrs they meet at 200 frm a, for john
that means 300 from b, for jane (since total is 500)
we can find out speeds since the time is same when they meet at point travelling towards each other.
john 200 40 5
jane 300 50 5
BUT here what happens for rest of 300 for john and rest of 200 for jane is not known.
you may take cases
case1) when jane is travelling at 10kmph and john at 70kmph for rest of their distances left i.e 300 and 200 respectively ( since max is 70kmph)
300/10 and 200/70 i.e 30 hrs and 2.8 hrs approx so total time for john = 5+30 =35hrs and jane = 5+2.8= 7.8hrs ..here jane arrived earlier
case 2) when jane is travelling at 70kmph and john at 10kmph for rest of their distances left i.e 300 and 200 respectively ( since max is 70kmph)
300/70 and 200/10 i.e 4.3 hrs approx and 20 hrs so total time for john = 5+4.3 =9.3hrs and jane = 5+20= 25hrs ..here john arrived earlier
NOT SUFFICIENT

2. jane avg speed y=60kmph so time is 500/8 ...8.3 hrs for jane
Nothing is known about john x=??
NOT SUFICIENT

1. and 2. together

we know Jane took 8.3 hrs overall for 500kms i.e his speed y=60kmph
we also know john took 5 hrs for 200 kms ; let john drive at max speed which is 70kmph for remaning 300kms
so john took 300/7 ..approx 4.3hrs ;so total time is 5+4.3 = 9.3 hrs
even travelling at max speed for remaining distance john takes 9.3 hrs which is more than jane (8.3 hrs)
so we can conclude PAtrick jane :wink: :P reached earlier ( as usual)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1], given: 56

BSchool Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 836 [0], given: 595

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 16:40
chetan2u wrote:
kahipz wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Hi,
I do not think the Q, in any way, is sub-600 as the Q can not be solved in straight steps.

Quote:

lets see the Q now..

the Q stem just tells us that the distance is 500 miles and both John and Jane are travelling towards each other and both never cross 70mph.

this tells us that john is slower than jane . jane has to travel 300miles while john has to travel just 200.

Combined..
2) if no, then ans is 'yes' for Did Jane arrive at her destination earlier than John did?...suff

ans C

I dont really get why statement 1 is insufficient here.
we can get both their speeds by => 200/5 and 300/5
so why exactly is this insufficient.?

Does it have anything to do with speed not being constant?

Give me a hell yeah ...!!!!!

Kudos [?]: 836 [0], given: 595

Math Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 1107 [0], given: 884

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The road between town A and town B is 500 miles long. John drove direc [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 21:59
stonecold wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
kahipz wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Hi,

Quote:

lets see the Q now..

Combined..

ans C

I dont really get why statement 1 is insufficient here.
we can get both their speeds by => 200/5 and 300/5
so why exactly is this insufficient.?

Does it have anything to do with speed not being constant?

Hi stonecold,

It is not stated in the question that John and Jane travel at constant speeds throughout their journey.

Statement 1 is not sufficient as John may pickup speed after crossing the 200m mark and reach the destination much earlier than Jane.

We need both statements to get a clear 'YES' answer for the question asked.

Kudos [?]: 1107 [0], given: 884

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 00:11
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 0

Re: The road between town A and town B is 500 miles long. John drove direc   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2017, 00:11

The road between town A and town B is 500 miles long. John drove direc

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap