It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 23:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The significance of attending business school in a different country

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

The significance of attending business school in a different country [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2014, 10:13
The business school is experience is very different from any other type of education process that you might have been a part of. It has a lot of intangibles that one can only take in if they are motivated, active and open to new experiences. It is lot less about the money you make after you MBA and a lot more about defining your needs and charting a course for your future.
I traveled half way across the world to get my MBA and I had very specific reasons to do so. After having spent some time here I found that not only were my reasons valid but also that there is lot more that I have gained. This experience has been way more underrated than it is. I'd love to share with you'll some of them in my attempt to back the beauty of attending business school in a different country.

1. Experience a new culture: Having grown up in one of the biggest cities on earth I thought I had a fair understanding of the variety of cultures that the world had to offer. I was wrong though ! Culture is best experience with the masses that practice it and through social circles for whom the culture is a way of life. It is only then you start realizing how different this new world is and how much we don't know. If you are open minded and eager to learn this is a wonderful experience. Since an MBA is expected to be an individual who can interact well with people from different walks, this experience is essential. I have participated in multiple cultural occasions which have allowed me to learn a multitude of etiquettes and also enjoy great food.

2. Move out of your comfort zone: Moving to a different country for a long period is something that does not really put people at ease. It is about stepping out of your comfort zone and depending on people who are very different from you for the most menial and most significant tasks. Studying in a different country helps you overcome this apprehension and helps you open up to new challenges and opportunities. And its not just the people but also the many systems and devices that might be in place in the country you travel to. An understanding of these makes you more of a worldly individual. I was very apprehensive about about making friends at school, however I realized that if took the initiative and was not a dick to people, this in fact was a super easy and enjoyable process.

3. Points of View: Attending school with a diverse set of individuals exposes you to different thought process and perceptions that people have. Especially at b-schools where group projects and discussion form a significantly large part of your curriculum. Of course you might not like some views and some individuals might not like your view, but a large proportion are open to alter their perceptions based on these discussions and if you allow yourself to do the same it turns into an paralleled learning process. My experience here has led me to break many of my perceptions and at the same time I have had a number of conversations where my friends have left with completely different perceptions that they walked into the conversation with.

4. A new Approach to Education: The country that I have moved to has a completely different approach to education as compared to my home country. The environment is a lot more competitive and everyone brings their A game to class. This is led me bringing about significant improvement in myself in order to keep up. This has allowed me to learn better and instilled a much stronger drive for success in me. The curriculum to is much varied and the grading system is alien. Trying to do my best here is made me even more adaptable to different circumstances whereas the quick learning curve has had me incorporate processes that I can use in a variety of settings.

These are some of the reasons I think have allowed me to be truly happy with my decision to travel internationally for my MBA. I shall write more about life at business school and the different fringe aspects so keep watching this space.

If you have any questions, please leave a comment.

bschoolblogster[dot]blogspot[dot]com/

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: The significance of attending business school in a different country [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2014, 03:25
I definitely agree that going to business school abroad is a unique experience from which you can only benefit .
Yet, I'm a little torn between staying in my home country because the unis are cheaper plus the exchange network and the possibilities of a double degree are slightly better.
I'm yearning to leave though. I hope my decision will be made by which uni accepts me so I don't have to make it. ;)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 5

Re: The significance of attending business school in a different country   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2014, 03:25

The significance of attending business school in a different country

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap