Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 21:13 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32983 [2]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32983 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Re: The story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight has its foundation in Art [#permalink]
pls provide the explanation for Ques.2 ..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
The story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight has its foundation in Art [#permalink]
Kudos
mitul19 wrote:
pls provide the explanation for Ques.2 ..

My understanding is as follows:

Answer is E because of the line

Quote:
"A contrast can be observed between his “Christian” words and actions and his decidedly un-Christian motives."

The author is directly saying that it is a "contrast" that a character's words and actions are Christian but his motives aren't. So he's implying that if the character was a good Christian, his actions and motives would match up.

Options B and D are too extreme. The passage doesn't say anything about a pagan's motive or about all Arthurian stories in general.

Option C is irrelevant. There is nothing in the passage that implies this.

Option A is admittedly a bit hard to eliminate and I think this is a trap choice. The only reason I can think of why option A is wrong is that "Christian symbolism" doesn't include Christian message. The passage is indeed saying that pagans may have misunderstood the Christian message in the story and that poet is trying to highlight this but its not talking about the Christian symbolism. Either this or, it could also be wrong because it is generalizing about how ALL Christians and Pagans interpret the poem while the author only talks about the poet's (i.e. one individual's) interpretation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: The story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight has its foundation in Art [#permalink]
Question 1st plz explain

Posted from my mobile device
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32983 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Blade876196 wrote:
Question 1st plz explain

Posted from my mobile device

Official Explanation

1. Which of the following can be inferred about the pagan and Christian origins of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight?

Explanation

The first statement is not true because the author points out in the first paragraph that “[for] all we know, the story may have been ‘Christianized’ in its oral form long before the poet set it into writing.”

The second statement is incorrect because the leap from “the story of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight has its foundation in Arthurian legend” to “Sir Gawain was a knight in King Arthur’s court” is too large to make.

The third statement is true, and a good match for the final sentence of the first paragraph, which posits that the tale may be “a pagan interpretation of Christian ideals” or “an externally imposed Christianization of pagan codes of behavior.”

Answer: C
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts