Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3893 [91]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [41]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [13]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 603 [1]
Send PM
Re: The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans probably go unc [#permalink]
Bookmarks
IMO C.

B is an assumption for C,which in turn is the required assumption for the argument,which talks abt the 'the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate'. To explain this, the next line is the reasoning 'Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless; but some of the rich go uncounted as well, because they are often abroad or traveling between one residence and another.'

But this reasoning depends on the the assumption C.

Please correct if i am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1141 [3]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V36
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Send PM
Re: The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans probably go unc [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
C it is.

Census should be in proportion to the population (represent the population)

Population = 20% A + 30% B + 50% C
if lets assume 10% of each not counted (not number)
then it'll still represent the potrait of the nation with the ratio of popualtion 2:3:5

but if the equal number of each group are not counted ==> it'll distort the portrait of the nation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
WE:Supply Chain Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Kudos
This was a real tough one, and I might be overthinking it but ill give it a shot:

I was for C before I tried to explain my reasoning

Now I believe its D

Premise 1: Some Poor arent counted, particularly the homeless
Premise 2: Some Rich arent counted because they are often traveling

Assumption 1: You need to be home to counted
Assumption 2: The homeless arent counted because they dont have a home, the rich arent counted because they often arent at home
Assumption 3: The number of homeless is approximately the number of rich

Conclusion: Net effect on the census is zero

Am i assuming too much?

What is the OA?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
gddunton wrote:
This was a real tough one, and I might be overthinking it but ill give it a shot:

I was for C before I tried to explain my reasoning

Now I believe its D

Premise 1: Some Poor arent counted, particularly the homeless
Premise 2: Some Rich arent counted because they are often traveling

Assumption 1: You need to be home to counted
Assumption 2: The homeless arent counted because they dont have a home, the rich arent counted because they often arent at home
Assumption 3: The number of homeless is approximately the number of rich who often travel

Conclusion: Net effect on the census is zero

Am i assuming too much?

What is the OA?

I do not think so.
but you miss one information: "Rich people" is different from "rich people who often travel (until left uncount)".

(D) The number of homeless Americans is approximately equal to the number of rich Americans.-->in D, Homeless American=Rich American (wrong). There are some rich people who stay home.

To correct the (D): The number of homeless Americans is approximately equal to the number of rich Americanswho often travel (Now it can be the assumption. However, this corrected D means the same thing as C. does).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [5]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
 Q51  V34
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: 5 Years
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Fact1:The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans probably go uncounted.
Fact2:Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless;
Fact3:but some of the rich go uncounted as well, because they are often abroad or traveling between one residence and another.
Conclusion:the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate.

Paraphrased Assumption: The number of uncounted poor people = number of uncounted rich people.

Skim through the answer choices
C seems to be the closest.

Non necessary for getting to the answer but I will also examine why the other choices are wrong -
(A) Both the rich and the poor have personal and economic reasons to avoid being counted by the census. Out of Scope.
(B) All Americans may reasonably be classified as either poor or rich. Comes close but vague
(D) The number of homeless Americans is approximately equal to the number of rich Americans.We don't care how many are rich or poor we only care how many of those are unaccounted for
(E) The primary purpose of the census is to analyze the economic status of the American population.Probably an inference not an assumption but a very very close one since we are sort of assuming that Census is not merely counting people but it's counting people based on their economic status.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey Nusmavrik,

This is a dangerous piece of advice, but I'm throwing it out there anyway. Whenever you read an answer choice that just sounds logically ridiculous, be wary of it. (As in, don't totally leave your common sense at the door.) Would you need to base an argument on the fact that every single human being was either rich or poor? It seems unlikely, unless the argument was incredibly ridiculous. : )

-tommy
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Kudos
Lets say 100 people in America. 40 Rich and 60 Poor. Ratio is 2:3 -----> This is the statistical figure.
Now lets say 10% are uncounted in both the groups.

Rich = 0.9 * 40 = 36
Poor = 0.9 * 60 = 54

Ratio = 36/54 = 4/6 = 2/3 ------------> Statistical data is TRUE regardless of census.
C is the answer. You can try with another ratio and come with the same conclusion :-)

B : classifies the people as rich or poor but does not explains why statistical data will be true.

D : You can prove this mathematically or assumption. Lets say 50 Rich and 50 Poor. Ratio 1:1
If the census discounts different number in the two group then

Rich = 46
Poor = 40
Ratio = 46 : 40 which is not the same as 1:1
So D does not explains why the statistical data is the same. In fact D weakens the argument.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Zatarra wrote:
The U.S. census is not perfect: thousands of Americans probably go uncounted. However, the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate. Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless; but some of the rich go uncounted as well, because they are often abroad or traveling between one residence and another.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?

(A) Both the rich and the poor have personal and economic reasons to avoid being counted by the census.
(B) All Americans may reasonably be classified as either poor or rich.
(C) The percentage of poor Americans uncounted by the census is close to the percentage of rich Americans uncounted.
(D) The number of homeless Americans is approximately equal to the number of rich Americans.
(E) The primary purpose of the census is to analyze the economic status of the American population.

Looks like a bad question. The question should have been framed as an inference question than as an assumption question. The reason is in an inference you derive something based on what is given. You do not need an additional fact. Only when it is an additional fact independent of what is given then it becomes an assumption.

Let us look at the relevant statements:

Statement 1: Certainly some of the poor go uncounted, particularly the homeless; but some of the rich go uncounted as well,
Statement 2: the basic statistical portrait of the nation painted by the census is accurate.

So statement 2 looks more like a conclusion drawn from statement 1. Thus if both the above statements are true then we can infer that equal percentage of rich and poor go uncounted without relying on any additional information. Choice C is not an independent fact to make it an assumption.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Expert Reply
Another subtle difference between assumption and inference is that given the argument an inference is derived from the argument whereas an assumption is an independent fact.

Example of an assumption

Premise: Roger is a rich man

Conclusion: Roger does not follow the law

In coming to the conclusion we make the assumption that rich men do not follow law. The correctness of the argument is derived from the assumption. The premise by itself cannot make the conclusion correct. You need the assumption.

In our case the statement that both some rich and some poor go uncounted along with the statement that the basic statistical portrait of the census is accurate imply that any one group is not disproportionately considered in the census. You do not need the statement that the percentage of rich left out is the same as that of the poor left out for supporting the argument.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [3]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Kudos