It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 00:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

There are 6 stores in town that had a total of 20 visitors

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
There are 6 stores in town that had a total of 20 visitors [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2011, 23:53
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (01:39) correct 38% (01:51) wrong based on 346 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

There are 6 stores in town that had a total of 20 visitors on a particular day. However, only 10 people went shopping that day; some people visited more than one store. If 6 people visited exactly two stores each, and everyone visited at least one store, what is the largest number of stores anyone could have visited?

A. 6
B. 8
C. 5
D. 9
E. 2
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Re: Overlapping sets [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2011, 05:04
This post received
KUDOS
Since 6 people visited two stores each, 12 visitors (6+6) can be deducted from the total 20 visitors.
We now have 8 visitors to be filled in by the remaining 4 people whilst trying to maximize the visits a person could have made. (Note that we cannot consider the 6 people now, as they have visited exactly 2 stores)
The remaining four people (10-6) will be distributed such that the three people visit one store each i.e 1+1+1 and the fourth person visits 5 stores thereby maximizing the number of visits he has.
This can be understood easily by using slots as shown below:
6 slots for six stores: _ _ _ _ _ _
6 people visit exactly 2 stores: 6 6 _ _ _ _
This means, we have considered 12 of 20 visitors. Remaining - 8 visitors
3 people visit exactly 1 of the remaining 3 stores: 6 6 1 1 1 _
Thus we now have considered 15 visitors (6+6+1+1+1)
The 4th person now visits 5 stores: 6 7 2 2 2 1

So the answer is 5

MBA Candidate 2015 | Georgetown University
McDonough School of Business

6 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2011, 05:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
If 6 people visited exactly two stores each, number of visits so covered = 12

This leaves 8 visits to be accounted for among 4 people.
To find the largest number of stores anyone could have visited, assume that 3 of these 4 people visited just one store.

Therefore the last person would visit 8 - 3 = 5 stores

Option (C)

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2011, 04:25
This post received
KUDOS
since 6 people have visited 2 stores,the total of visiting of this ppl is 6*2=12
20-12=8 (the rest of visits) 10ppl-6 ppl=4 ppl

since at least 1 store is visited by each of ppl, and since to maximize one option we need to minimize the other ones , then 1+1+1 +x=8
x=5

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

I am still on all gmat forums. msg me if you want to ask me smth

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: There are 6 stores in town that had a total of 20 visitors [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2014, 21:35
1 Person ---> 1 store = 1 visit. (as the question says that some people visited more than 1 store, meaning that there was at least 1 person who visited 1 store)
6 People ---> 2 store = 12 visit.
Remaining 3 People, to maximize the number of store visited by an individual, we minimize the store visited by other 2.
So,
2 people ---> 1 store = 2 visit.
Total visit remaining = 20 -1-12-2 = 5 visit. (which is done by the last person). Hope it helps.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 23:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ruturaj wrote:
There are 6 stores in town that had a total of 20 visitors on a particular day. However, only 10 people went shopping that day; some people visited more than one store. If 6 people visited exactly two stores each, and everyone visited at least one store, what is the largest number of stores anyone could have visited?

A. 6
B. 8
C. 5
D. 9
E. 2

Given:
Total visits = 20
Total people = 10

6 people visited 2 stores.
Hence total visits accounter for = 6*2 = 12

Now, we are left with 8 visits and 4 people.
To maximize the visits by one person, we need to minimize by others.

So, 3 persons visit 1 store each
Left visits = 5, Left persons = 1
Hence the maximum number of visits = 5

Option C
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2016, 10:36
Though i understand and agree with the reasoning above, please can anyone let me know where did i go wrong with the below approach:

10 people went shopping, out of which 6 visited two stores each. Therefore, the number of visits=10+6=16. Since the total number of visits are 20, 4 additional visits are to be undertaken. Also, since each one has already visited minimum one store and because the number of visits has to be maximised, if one of the six guys who has already visited two stores each visits the remaining four stores, he would have visited 6 stores?

Thanks.
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2016, 09:32
WilDThiNg wrote:
Though i understand and agree with the reasoning above, please can anyone let me know where did i go wrong with the below approach:

10 people went shopping, out of which 6 visited two stores each. Therefore, the number of visits=10+6=16. Since the total number of visits are 20, 4 additional visits are to be undertaken. Also, since each one has already visited minimum one store and because the number of visits has to be maximised, if one of the six guys who has already visited two stores each visits the remaining four stores, he would have visited 6 stores?

Thanks.

The error is highlighted above. We are given that those 6 people visit EXACTLY two stores, so for the remaining stores, we need to choose a person other than these 6.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

New --> How ApplicantLab made me reach my 10 years long MBA dream?

Retired Moderator
B
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2016, 04:36
ruturaj wrote:

A. 6
B. 8
C. 5
D. 9
E. 2

total visits = 20 , number of people = 10 let the people be. restriction criteria is 6 visitors has exactly 2 visits and each individual visited at least 1

people .......A:B:C:D:E:F:G:H:I:J
Visits 2:2:2:2:2:2:1:1:1:1
thus we have 4 visits left after satisfying the restrictive criteria above and only visitors G,H,I,J can make those extra visit because A,B,C,D,E,,F are restricted to 2 each.

thus any of visitors G.H.I.J can make the remaining 4 visits to total 5 visits

C
Expert Post
Director
Director
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 22:13
ruturaj wrote:

A. 6
B. 8
C. 5
D. 9
E. 2

1. There are 20 visits by 10 people.
2. 6 people made exactly 2 visits i.,e a total of 12 visits
3. There are 4 people who made the remaining 8 visits.
4. Since we want to find the maximum possible visits by one person, we minimize the visits of the other 3 which has to be 3 visits , of 1 each
5. So the maximum number of visits possible is 8-3=5

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com/best-online-gre-preparation.php

Improve Intuition and Your Score
Systematic Approaches

Expert Post
Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 16:25
ruturaj wrote:

A. 6
B. 8
C. 5
D. 9
E. 2

We must recognize that when the problem says there are 20 visitors, it doesn’t mean there are 20 people (since it later says there are only 10 people). It really means, if a person visited one store, then he or she is considered as one visitor. However, if that person visited two stores, then he or she is considered as two visitors since each of the two stores he or she visited will consider him or her as one visitor. Similarly, if he or she visited three stores, then he or she is considered as three visitors and so on.

Since 6 people visited exactly two stores each, then they are considered to be 12 visitors. Thus we have 20 - 12 = 8 visitors left for the remaining 10 - 6 = 4 people. In order to maximize the number of stores visited for one person, we must minimize the number of stores visited for the other 3 individuals. Thus, if those 3 people each visited exactly 1 store, then they are considered to be 3 visitors. Thus, we have 8 - 3 = 5 visitors left for the last person, which means he or she must have visited 5 stores.

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Re: There are 6 stores in town that had a total of 20 visitors   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2018, 16:25

There are 6 stores in town that had a total of 20 visitors

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap