Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [74]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [18]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [2]
Send PM
Re: There are far fewer kidneys available for transplants than there are [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks for your reply. I initially picked E, which I negated and concluded that if "The number of available kidneys has increased since last year" then the difference between the number of available kidneys and number of people waiting for transplantation will be reduced. Thereby the conclusion of the argument would be hurt.

Even though the number of available kidneys increase, there is a possibility that even more number of people are awaiting transplantation this year. In this case, the argument still holds true.

If an answer choice has to be true, there should be no room for any reason to attack the argument pertaining to the information given in that answer choice.

Hope that helped you guys.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: There are far fewer kidneys available for transplants than there are [#permalink]
I am still confused because

2013 , patients = 16,000

The number of transplants took place =16,000 !

But this year 2014, number of patients = 85,000

number of available kidneys = no information is given in the question

or the number of transplants will take place we do not know .

within one year period if the number of patients is increased significantly , then Can C be assumption of the argument ?

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shiblee wrote:
I am still confused because

2013 , patients = 16,000

The number of transplants took place =16,000 !

But this year 2014, number of patients = 85,000

number of available kidneys = no information is given in the question

or the number of transplants will take place we do not know .

within one year period if the number of patients is increased significantly , then Can C be assumption of the argument ?

Posted from my mobile device

The question does not intend to compare last year and this year figures. We know how many patients are waiting this year (85,000). But right now, we don't know how many transplants will happen so we take a clue from last year (16,000). So we conclude that number of kidneys available is far lower than patients. But 'number of kidneys' data is nowhere to be found in the argument. We are assuming that number of kidneys available is the only limiting factor for transplants. So (C) is our assumption.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi All,
I'm really confused with answer choice C,
if the number of kidney transplants that take place each year is not significantly different from the number of kidneys available over that time period; which means the number of kidney transplant that take place each year is almost close to the number of kidneys available over that time period, then where does the lag in kidneys come from ?
argument does not talk anything about kidneys not matching or blood group not matching, so are we supposed to assume that ? how can choice C is an assumption required by argument ?

thanks
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Praveen_Seelam wrote:
Hi All,
if the number of kidney transplants that take place each year is not significantly different from the number of kidneys available over that time period; which means the number of kidney transplant that take place each year is almost close to the number of kidneys available over that time period, then where does the lag in kidneys come from ?
argument does not talk anything about kidneys not matching or blood group not matching, so are we supposed to assume that ? how can choice C is an assumption required by argument ?

thanks

You have to be very careful in CR - notice what they are talking about in each sentence. Let's assume variables for clarity.

A - Kidneys available for transplant
B - People waiting on the list for transplant
C - Actual number of transplants that take place.

The argument says this:

A is much less than B.
As evidence, B is 85000 while C is only 16000.

Note that the evidence gives you the numbers of B and C. But we conclude that A is much less than B. How can we do that? The only conclusion from this evidence can be that C is much less than B. How do we conclude that A is much mess than B?

For that we need to assume that A is almost same as C. This is exactly what option (C) tells you. Hence, option (C) is the assumption.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Praveen_Seelam wrote:
Hi All,

thanks

You have to be very careful in CR - notice what they are talking about in each sentence. Let's assume variables for clarity.

The argument says this:

A is much less than B.

Note that the evidence gives you the numbers of B and C. But we conclude that A is much less than B. How can we do that? The only conclusion from this evidence can be that C is much less than B. How do we conclude that A is much mess than B?

For that we need to assume that A is almost same as C. This is exactly what option (C) tells you. Hence, option (C) is the assumption.

when when negate the assumption the conclusion should fall apart. Is this applicable in every case?
If yes let me try to negate C and see if in any case the conclusion holds:-

assumption:

The number of kidney transplants that take place each year is not significantly different from the number of kidneys available over that time period.

Negate the assumption:
The number of kidney transplants that take place each year is significantly different from the number of kidneys available over that time period.

when we say the number of kidney transplants that take place each year is significantly different from the kidneys available, can we not say transplant done --1000
kidney available- 3 .... the two numbers are significantly different ,, but in this case the the conclusion still remains intact

conclusion :
There are far fewer kidneys available than there are patients.

Please correct me if i am going wrong with my approach.

Gaurav
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
tyagigar wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Praveen_Seelam wrote:
Hi All,

thanks

The argument says this:

A is much less than B.

when when negate the assumption the conclusion should fall apart. Is this applicable in every case?
If yes let me try to negate C and see if in any case the conclusion holds:-

assumption:

The number of kidney transplants that take place each year is not significantly different from the number of kidneys available over that time period.

Negate the assumption:
The number of kidney transplants that take place each year is significantly different from the number of kidneys available over that time period.

when we say the number of kidney transplants that take place each year is significantly different from the kidneys available, can we not say transplant done --1000
kidney available- 3 .... the two numbers are significantly different ,, but in this case the the conclusion still remains intact

conclusion :
There are far fewer kidneys available than there are patients.

Please correct me if i am going wrong with my approach.

Gaurav

If there are only 3 kidneys available, how can 1000 transplants be done? The number of transplants will obviously be less than or equal to the number of kidneys available.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Send PM
why is D incorrect? Can't you assume that if you need alot of time to match, that is the reason why transplants aren't taking place
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thank you for your explanation, it is useful. While examining the issue, however, I used a similar thinking process but got to an alternative response. My question is, how can we accurately pick option C when it does not specificaly state wether the difference between the nr of transplants and kidneys available differs in a positive or negative manner. What I mean is, what if the number of kidneys available differs in that it is much lower than the number of transplants?

Option c does not necessarily indicate that the number of kidneys availalbe is greater than the number of transplants.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts