GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Mar 2019, 14:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

There is a difference between beauty and truth. After all, i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior PS Moderator
D
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
There is a difference between beauty and truth. After all, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2019, 11:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:43) correct 55% (01:53) wrong based on 126 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

There is a difference between beauty and truth. After all, if there were no difference, then the most realistic pieces of art would be the best as well, since the most realistic pieces are the most truthful. But many of the most realistic artworks are not among the best.

Which one of the following is an assumption required by the argument?

(A) The most beautiful artworks are the best artworks.
(B) If an artwork contains nonrealistic elements, then it is not at all truthful.
(C) None of the best artworks are realistic.
(D) Only the best artworks are beautiful.
(E) An artwork’s beauty is inherently subjective and depends on who is viewing it.

Posted from my mobile device

Regards,
Gladi

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D
Re: There is a difference between beauty and truth. After all, i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2019, 01:11
Gladiator59 wrote:
There is a difference between beauty and truth. After all, if there were no difference, then the most realistic pieces of art would be the best as well, since the most realistic pieces are the most truthful. But many of the most realistic artworks are not among the best.

(B) If an artwork contains nonrealistic elements, then it is not at all truthful.
(E) An artwork’s beauty is inherently subjective and depends on who is viewing it.

- the most realistic pieces are the most truthful.
- if there were no difference between beauty and truth, then the most realistic pieces of art would be the best as well.
- But many of the most realistic artworks are not among the best.

Conclusion: There is a difference between beauty and truth.

Note that the premises talk about "realistic pieces being truthful but not among the best". And then conclusion says that there is a difference between beauty and truth.
The argument does not link "best" with "beautiful". These are two different concepts. To conclude about "beautiful", we need to talk about how "best" and "beautiful" are the same.

So the assumption will link best with beautiful.

This is it. It says that beautiful and best are the same.

Not true. We don't need to assume that if there are any nonrealistic elements, then it is not at all truthful.

All that the argument says is that many of the realistic ones are not among the best.

Not necessary. Best needs to be beautiful but ONLY best should be beautiful is not necessary.

Irrelevant.

Answer (A)

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2019, 06:34
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Gladiator59 wrote:

- if there were no difference between beauty and truth, then the most realistic pieces of art would be the best as well.

Note that the premises talk about "realistic pieces being truthful but not among the best". And then conclusion says that there is a difference between beauty and truth.
The argument does not link "best" with "beautiful". These are two different concepts. To conclude about "beautiful", we need to talk about how "best" and "beautiful" are the same.

Not true. We don't need to assume that if there are any nonrealistic elements, then it is not at all truthful.

All that the argument says is that many of the realistic ones are not among the best.

Not necessary. Best needs to be beautiful but ONLY best should be beautiful is not necessary.

Irrelevant.

Answer (A)

Karishma can you please explain it using negation test? I stumble developing eye for differences that you pointed out.
D

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2019, 03:39
Mohammad Ali Khan wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Gladiator59 wrote:

Irrelevant.

Answer (A)

Karishma can you please explain it using negation test? I stumble developing eye for differences that you pointed out.

The argument is establishing an equivalence between "realistic" and "truthful".
It says "realistic" = "truthful"
It also says "realistic" is not "best"

And concludes, "realistic" is not "beautiful"

It can conclude that only if it is assuming "beautiful" = "best"

Negate (A) The most beautiful artworks are not the best artworks.
It says "beautiful" is not "best". Then can we conclude "realistic" is not "beautiful". No! the argument only says "realistic" is not "best". If beautiful are not best, how can we say that beautiful are not realistic? Our conclusion falls apart.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT Club Bot
Re: There is a difference between beauty and truth. After all, i   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2019, 03:39

There is a difference between beauty and truth. After all, i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap