Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: This castle was built on this site by the royal family over [#permalink]
Guys you are bang on with your reasonings, But I guess you all missed "This" in the option E...official answer is C...reasoning is the same as you guys mentioned...IMO "Now standing" can be right because we use "this" when something is in front of us so the option C rightly says that "the hill [b]was of strategic importance at the time castle was built and the castle is still standing"[/b]
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Quote:
Guys you are bang on with your reasonings, But I guess you all missed "This" in the option E.

not sure what u mean by this !! ."this castle" is indeed there in the option E !! so what is it that u pointing out !!

Quote:
official answer is C.

this can never be the answer .the fact that i just mentioned one problem with C does not mean that it does not have other problems .case in point : "now" in C is utterly redundant and it makes this option egregiously wrong !!
passivity of option C gives me a red flag ,though i don't belong to that school of thought that passivity is always wrong !!
whats the source of this question ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
i am a little uncomortable with the usage in choice C which says , standing now .... sounds as though the bulding is animate .... stands ... sounds the more conventional usage . Your comments please
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
This castle was built on this site by the royal family over a period of five hundred years; the hill on which it stood was of great strategic importance.

A) This castle was built by the royal family on this site over a period of five hundred years; the hill on which it stood was of great strategic importance --stood is wrong

B) this castle had been built on this site by the royal family over a period of five hundred years; the hill on which it stands was of great strategic importance -- had been not required

C) This castle was built on this site by the royal family over a period of five hundred years; the hill on which it is now standing was of great strategic importance ---- awkward (standing)

D) The royal family built this castle on this site over a period of five hundred years; the hill on which it stood was of great strategic importance ---- stood wrong

E) The royal family built this castle on this site over a period of five hundred years; the hill on which it stands was of great strategic importan --- correct
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Agree with the explanation...answer should be E as Option A,B,C can be discarded as they all are in passive voice..and we prefer active voice over passive voice.
aquarius24 wrote:
This castle was built on this site by the royal family over a period of five hundred years; the hill on which it stood was of great strategic importance.

A) This castle was built by the royal family on this site over a period of five hundred years; the hill on which it stood was of great strategic importance --stood is wrong

B) this castle had been built on this site by the royal family over a period of five hundred years; the hill on which it stands was of great strategic importance -- had been not required

C) This castle was built on this site by the royal family over a period of five hundred years; the hill on which it is now standing was of great strategic importance ---- awkward (standing)

D) The royal family built this castle on this site over a period of five hundred years; the hill on which it stood was of great strategic importance ---- stood wrong

E) The royal family built this castle on this site over a period of five hundred years; the hill on which it stands was of great strategic importan --- correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GMAT Date: 05-28-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Chose C.

My explanation:
1.Eliminated D and E --> the hill on which it stood was of great strategic importance. It should refer to the castle built and not the royal families.

2.A,B,C
B seems to be a statement wrongly framed.
A and C --> I played tennis with Rafa in Morocco (reflects C)
I played tennis in Morocco with Rafa (reflects A)

There hails the diff and i went to pick the one which reflects the proper sentence to me :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Completely agree.. I have the same explanation.

aquarius24 wrote:

Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
This is not clear why E is correct? The subject before the semicolon is Royal family. So the 'it' is referring wrongly to Royal family. If not, then how we can conclude that 'it' is pointing to castle?

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts