Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Three attempts: 640-660-680. 4th attempt? And could I improve further? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi tronghieu1987,

I agree that you could very easily score 700+, if you can make the necessary adjustments to how you deal with the Verbal section. You mentioned that you retook the GMAC CATs, which means that you likely saw some of the same questions that you saw before. Seeing those same questions would have 'inflated' your score, and was a BIG part of why you scored V36. This is meant to say that you cannot count on hitting a V36 by working in the same ways as before.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Three attempts: 640-660-680. 4th attempt? And could I improve further? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi tronghieu1987,

I agree that you could very easily score 700+, if you can make the necessary adjustments to how you deal with the Verbal section. You mentioned that you retook the GMAC CATs, which means that you likely saw some of the same questions that you saw before. Seeing those same questions would have 'inflated' your score, and was a BIG part of why you scored V36. This is meant to say that you cannot count on hitting a V36 by working in the same ways as before.

Rich

No, I said that I score V31 to V36 (once V40) in Manhattan tests, no retaking. I also did 7 Veritas tests and score from V31 to V36. I retook GMAT Prep tests and Exam Pack 1 tests and always score much higher (V40 or V41).

Nevertheless, I admit that I never break over V31 in those official mock tests and 3 real attempts. I just think the consistently low score is due to my stamina, anxiety, or wrong approach. When practice, I hardly have any problems on understanding most of the questions, other than some super difficult CR questions, RC passages, and strangely-structured-grammar SC questions.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
tronghieu1987 wrote:

Now, I still want to give the 4th try. I believe I could get better Verbal score than V31 because I retook GMAT Prep tests and knew that the V36 level is within my reach.!

Hi tronghieu1987,

From this sentence, it certainly sounds like to took the GMAC CATs more than once. Retaking a CAT that you've previously taken almost always leads to 'inflated', unrealistic scores.

tronghieu1987 wrote:

No, I said that I score V31 to V36 (once V40) in Manhattan tests, no retaking. I also did 7 Veritas tests and score from V31 to V36. I retook GMAT Prep tests and Exam Pack 1 tests and always score much higher (V40 or V41).

And now you're including a bunch of information that you didn't include in any of your posts before. I'm happy to offer advice, but I really need to know ALL of the relevant information.

Since you've taken the Official GMAT several times, there are likely aspects to Test Day that you have not accounted for in your studies. You really have to think about each of your Official attempts and how you could have improved ANY aspect of each of those experiences. Making those adjustments will likely play a pivotal role in improving your performance on this next attempt.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
tronghieu1987 wrote:

Now, I still want to give the 4th try. I believe I could get better Verbal score than V31 because I retook GMAT Prep tests and knew that the V36 level is within my reach.!

Hi tronghieu1987,

From this sentence, it certainly sounds like to took the GMAC CATs more than once. Retaking a CAT that you've previously taken almost always leads to 'inflated', unrealistic scores.

tronghieu1987 wrote:

And now you're including a bunch of information that you didn't include in any of your posts before. I'm happy to offer advice, but I really need to know ALL of the relevant information.

Since you've taken the Official GMAT several times, there are likely aspects to Test Day that you have not accounted for in your studies. You really have to think about each of your Official attempts and how you could have improved ANY aspect of each of those experiences. Making those adjustments will likely play a pivotal role in improving your performance on this next attempt.

Rich

I am sorry for not making my point clearer. What I meant was that I tried to make a scenario in GMAT Prep test to score V36, and looking at the difficult level of those questions and the pattern of correct, wrong questions, I know that a V36 is within my reach.

For the improvement in the 3rd attempts, I think my habit of reading 2-3 Economist articles/day contributed significantly on RC part. For CR part, I tried to read the conclusion twice and slowly before jumping to answer choices (because I used to make many ridiculous mistakes when dealing with easy questions just because I did not read the conclusion carefully). So I think these things on RC and CR helped me get V31.

About the SC, I first tried to comprehend the meaning of the sentence, then to break each parts (Subjects, verbs, adjectives, modifiers...) to know what they relates to, and where they should be placed. When I am calm and fresh, I find this approach very good because once I grasp the meaning, I could easily select the correct answer. But in full tests, I think my brain ran out of energy after 2 hours of AWA, IR, and Quant, and thus I could not understand the meaning of the sentence. Hence, my above approach became useless. I even used excessive time trying to understand the meaning of the sentence, thus affecting the whole Verbal section. So I think in real tests, SC is the part that impaired my performance.

One more point, although I am a non-native speaker, I don't think I am that weak at reading (I got 8.5 Reading in IELTS). In real GMAT tests, even being out of stamina, I could understand quite much a RC passage because I could use both surrounding sentences and connectors (and, but, however....) to predict the meaning of a difficult sentence. But in SC sentence,especially short one, there is no such helper, so I had many difficulties to comprehend the meaning.
GMAT Club Bot