GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Nov 2019, 23:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Three friends A, B and C decide to run around a circular track. They

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
General GMAT Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Three friends A, B and C decide to run around a circular track. They  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2019, 03:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

23% (02:48) correct 77% (02:06) wrong based on 47 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Three friends A, B and C decide to run around a circular track. They start at the same time and run in the same direction. A is the quickest and when A finishes a lap, it is seen that C is as much behind B as B is behind A. When A completes 3 laps, C is the exact same position on the circular track as B was when A finished 1 lap. Find the ratio of the speeds of A, B, and C?

A. 5 : 4 : 2
B. 4 : 3 : 2
C. 5 : 4 : 3
D. 3 : 2 : 1
E. 3 : 2 : 2

New to GMAT Club or overwhelmed with so many resources? Follow the GMAT Club Study Plan!
Not happy with your GMAT score? Retaking GMAT Strategies!
Math Expert
V
Three friends A, B and C decide to run around a circular track. They  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2019, 19:34
DisciplinedPrep wrote:
Three friends A, B and C decide to run around a circular track. They start at the same time and run in the same direction. A is the quickest and when A finishes a lap, it is seen that C is as much behind B as B is behind A. When A completes 3 laps, C is the exact same position on the circular track as B was when A finished 1 lap. Find the ratio of the speeds of A, B, and C?

Let the circular track be y units and the distance of B from A when A finishes the lap be x behind A..

They start at the same time and run in the same direction. - So the time is the same for distance covered and distance covered should be in the same ratio as the speeds..

A is the quickest and when A finishes a lap, it is seen that C is as much behind B as B is behind A. - SO distance covered by A:B:C = \(y:y-x:y-2x\) ...(i)

When A completes 3 laps, C is the exact same position on the circular track as B was when A finished 1 lap. Here we do not know that C is still on first lap or 2nd lap, but can be sure that he cannot be on 3rd lap as he cannot be just x units behind A in 3rd lap as C was already 2x behind in first lap itself.
Two scenarios
(I) C is in first lap, then distance covered by A:C is in 3y:y-x...(ii)

But the ratio from (i) has to be same so y:y-2x can be written as 3*y:3*(y-2x) or 3y:3y-6x. Comparing with (ii) gives\(y-x=3y-6x....2y=5x....y=\frac{5x}{2}\)
So \(y:y-x:y-2x\) can be written as \(\frac{5x}{2}:\frac{5x}{2}-x:\frac{5x}{2}-2x = 5x:3x:x=5:3:1\)
(II) C is in second lap, then distance covered by A:C is in 3y:2y-x...(iii)
But the ratio from (i) has to be same so y:y-2x can be written as 3*y:3*(y-2x) or 3y:3y-6x. Comparing with (iii) gives\(2y-x=3y-6x....y=5x\)
So \(y:y-x:y-2x\) can be written as \(5x:5x-x:5x-2x=5x:4x:3x=5:4:3\)

Thus two ratios 5:4:3 and 5:3:1, so the question should be - " Find What could be the ratio of the speeds of A, B, and C?"

C
S
Re: Three friends A, B and C decide to run around a circular track. They  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 01:46
Good analysis, chetan2u. However, there is a typo under 'Two scenarios': should be "(II) C is in SECOND lap.....".
GMAT Tutor
S
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GRE 1: Q170 V167
Re: Three friends A, B and C decide to run around a circular track. They  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2019, 10:30
DisciplinedPrep wrote:

We can start from the sentence "it is seen that C is as much behind B as B is behind A". This means the difference between A and B is the same as that of B and C. Therefore A - B = B - C. So we can eliminate A and E first since they don't have the same differences. The important thing to take away here is we can represent the speeds with only 2 variables. If A = x, then B = x - y and C = x - 2y. Furthermore, we can pretend each lap has a distance of x and the time A needs to complete a lap is 1. All we care about is proportions of the speeds. Then for each lap A runs, B runs a distance of x - y and C runs a distance of x - 2y.

Next is "when A completes 3 laps ... when A finished 1 lap". The focus is on what happened between these laps. Either C is three times as slow as B, or C ran {1 lap + B's position after one lap of A which is x - 2y} during the 3 laps of A. The former gives \((x - 2y) * 3 = x - y\), \(x = 2.5y\). A = 2.5y, B = 1.5y, C = 0.5y. So A:B:C = 5:3:1, which isn't a choice.

The latter sets up an equation, again using x as the distance for one lap:
One lap + (B's position after one lap from A) = (C's position after 3 laps from A)
\(x + (x - y) = 3*(x - 2y)\)
\(x = 5y.\)
So A = 5y, B = 4y, C = 3y.
A:B:C = 5:4:3. The answer is C
Source: We are an NYC based, in-person and online GMAT tutoring and prep company. We are the only GMAT provider in the world to guarantee specific GMAT scores with our flat-fee tutoring packages, or to publish student score increase rates. Our typical new-to-GMAT student score increase rate is 3-9 points per tutoring hour, the fastest in the world. Feel free to reach out!
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 00:16
A simpler and possibly faster way is by assuming a numerical value for the length of the track:

ASSUMPTIONS:
(1) Track length: 30 meters
(2) V1, V2 and V3 are the speeds of A, B and C respectively
(3) B and C are 'x' and '2x' meters behind A when A completes the 1st lap

CALCULATION:
From Assumption (3) we have V1:V2:V3=30:(30-x):(30-2x).....(i)
V1/V3=30/(30-2x).....(ii)

SCENARIO 1: When A completes his 3rd lap (i.e. 90 meters), C is still on his 1st lap (i.e. he completes (30-x) meters):
V1/V3=90/(30-x).....(iii)
From (ii) and (iii), 30/(30-2x)=90/(30-x).....> x=12
Substituting this value of 'x' in (i), we have V1:V2:V3=30:18:6=5:3:1

SCENARIO 2: When A completes his 3rd lap, C is on his 2nd lap (i.e. he completes [30+(30-x)] meters)
V1/V3=90/(60-x).....(iv)
From (ii) and (iv), we have 30/(30-2x)=90/(60-x).....> x=6
Substituting this value of 'x' in (i), we have V1:V2:V3=30:24:18=5:4:3
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: LBS
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.85

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2019, 12:43
chetan2u wrote:
DisciplinedPrep wrote:

Let the circular track be y units and the distance of B from A when A finishes the lap be x behind A..

They start at the same time and run in the same direction. - So the time is the same for distance covered and distance covered should be in the same ratio as the speeds..

A is the quickest and when A finishes a lap, it is seen that C is as much behind B as B is behind A. - SO distance covered by A:B:C = \(y:y-x:y-2x\) ...(i)

When A completes 3 laps, C is the exact same position on the circular track as B was when A finished 1 lap. Here we do not know that C is still on first lap or 2nd lap, but can be sure that he cannot be on 3rd lap as he cannot be just x units behind A in 3rd lap as C was already 2x behind in first lap itself.
Two scenarios
(I) C is in first lap, then distance covered by A:C is in 3y:y-x...(ii)

But the ratio from (i) has to be same so y:y-2x can be written as 3*y:3*(y-2x) or 3y:3y-6x. Comparing with (ii) gives\(y-x=3y-6x....2y=5x....y=\frac{5x}{2}\)
So \(y:y-x:y-2x\) can be written as \(\frac{5x}{2}:\frac{5x}{2}-x:\frac{5x}{2}-2x = 5x:3x:x=5:3:1\)
(II) C is in second lap, then distance covered by A:C is in 3y:2y-x...(iii)
But the ratio from (i) has to be same so y:y-2x can be written as 3*y:3*(y-2x) or 3y:3y-6x. Comparing with (iii) gives\(2y-x=3y-6x....y=5x\)
So \(y:y-x:y-2x\) can be written as \(5x:5x-x:5x-2x=5x:4x:3x=5:4:3\)

Thus two ratios 5:4:3 and 5:3:1, so the question should be - " Find What could be the ratio of the speeds of A, B, and C?"

C

Are you assuming that they all start from the same point of the circle? Or that doesn't matter?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Three friends A, B and C decide to run around a circular track. They   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2019, 12:43

Three friends A, B and C decide to run around a circular track. They

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics